What Heat-Powered Fan Do You Use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Todd67

Minister of Fire
Jun 25, 2012
Northern NY
I was considering buying an Eco-Fan but I was recently given a VonHaus 4-blade fan with a round thermometer. I've never heard of them before, but it works really well on my stove. The operating range is from 122* to 662*. It was made in June 2018. It runs quiet and works great, and sells for $35 on Amazon. I wonder if the $100 Eco-Fan works or performs any better.

What stove fan do you use?

41hpoAdDqDL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was considering buying an Eco-Fan but I was recently given a VonHaus 4-blade fan with a round thermometer. I've never heard of them before, but it works really well on my stove. The operating range is from 122* to 662*. It was made in June 2018. It runs quiet and works great, and sells for $35 on Amazon. I wonder if the $100 Eco-Fan works or performs any better.

What stove fan do you use?

View attachment 237430
None they are cool gadgets but really don't move much air at all.

Reactions: Todd67
None they are cool gadgets but really don't move much air at all.

I was skeptical about their benefit (still am). Evo-Fan claims an 18% increase in efficiency. I'm just glad I got the VonHaus for free, and I'm glad there are less expensive alternatives for people who want to buy one.

I had considered those, but I went with a powered fan for my Napoleon. Bought a knock off of the OEM, works fine, and is about the same price as those heat-powered fans. I put it on a wifi switched outlet so I can turn it on and off from my phone.

Running our ceiling fan makes a big difference in heat output and efficiency (burning less wood) compared to not using the ceiling fan. The ceiling fan is in the center of our living room, pushing the air down, and the stove is in the corner of the living room.

We tend to lose power every winter, so I considered a heat powered fan to use during those power outages. Whether or not it will make a difference has yet to be seen.

I had no idea that they had a safe operating range. The label says that damage to the fan/stove can occur if operated outside those temperatures.

Have one and its cool. Moves a little air. More than nothing. Biggest benefit is the giant ceiling fan in the cathedral ceiling over the stove. That makes the entire place an even temp.

I see a lot of comments saying they don't do much, but I've found them reasonably effective. I bought a cheap one off Amazon for my parents. It moves enough air to help but after a year developed a rattling noise. Shortly after I gave them one, a family friend gave them a used, but nicer one for their other stove. I'd say they're about equal to my insert's blower on low.

1abde781b5ad1e086ea7f208809eb2bc.jpg

Vulcan stirling Engine fan. Got this as a Christmas gift. As it’s a sterling engine, it needs more heat to operate than most of the fans on Amazon do; generally won’t start moving until stove top temp has reached 400. Pushes a noticeable amount of air. I really like that it’s upper limit is 900 f. Some of the other fans I’ve seen can’t withstand temps of higher than 700 and I wouldn’t want to be constantly worrying about ruining the fan if I ran it too hot.

Reactions: Slocum and Todd67
900 degrees is a lot better than the 662 degree rating of my VonHaus. I wonder if the more expensive fans have a higher heat rating.

None.. i don't think its really worth having them on the stove
Yup, love mine. Radiant doesn't care about fans so in that application, moving air, is useless. But, when I walk down the stairs at night or in the morning the first thing I look at is the speed of the fan. Fast, the stove doesn't need attention. Slow, a few more sticks. Lazy lollygagging, it's morning and time to make coffee. A long distance analog thermometer.

I have a Ecofan. It's a neat little baubble that puts on quite a spinny show - and I bought it fully expecting that. I don't think it would be capable of moving any usable amount of air. The thermocouple drive is probably a maximum of 3-4 watts under ideal conditions and much less than that considering it's on the outer skin of my insert.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F41yZfjb0s4L._SL160_.jpg

Attachments

• ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.northerntool.com%2Fimages%2Fproduct%2F2000x2000%2F220%2F22047_2000x2000.jpg
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.northerntool.com%2Fimages%2Fproduct%2F2000x2000%2F220%2F22047_2000x2000.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 174
Yup, love mine. Radiant doesn't care about fans so in that application, moving air, is useless. But, when I walk down the stairs at night or in the morning the first thing I look at is the speed of the fan. Fast, the stove doesn't need attention. Slow, a few more sticks. Lazy lollygagging, it's morning and time to make coffee. A long distance analog thermometer.

This is genius.

We have to keep in mind that these fans are not supposed to serve as blowers, but to merely circulate cool air from behind a stove to the front of the stove. No doubt, these types of fans move some air. Whether or not they live up to their manufacturers claims, I can't say for sure.

Here are two pics from the Eco-Fan website. I am NOT affiliated with any brands in any way.
ecofan heat displacement1.jpg

Reactions: yooper08
The VonHaus 4-blade fan in post #1 circulates air between 150-190 CFM, and has a max operating range of 662 degrees. For comparison purposes, the Eco-Fan UltraAir is rated at 125 CFM and the Eco-Fan AirMax is rated at 175 CFM. These two Eco-Fan models are rated at 650 degrees max operating range.

900 degrees is a lot better than the 662 degree rating of my VonHaus. I wonder if the more expensive fans have a higher heat rating.

The one I have has a different type of heat powered motor than the one you have. Functions a bit differently and can withstand higher temps. If you search for Stirling Engine fans you can find a bunch. Some are really pricey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll check out their products. I started this thread to be a discussion and comparison of the different wood stove fans out there. This is the first time I've heard of the Sterling Engine fans. I'm sure there are some other brands that I haven't came across yet. Eco-Fan makes a fan for low heat stoves, but that wouldn't work for my old pre-EPA stove.

Thanks, I'll check out their products. I started this thread to be a discussion and comparison of the different wood stove fans out there. This is the first time I've heard of the Sterling Engine fans. I'm sure there are some other brands that I haven't came across yet. Eco-Fan makes a fan for low heat stoves, but that wouldn't work for my old pre-EPA stove.

From what I’ve read There are advantages and disadvantages to both the sterling engine and eco fan designs. Mine works well on my stove as it is frequently run hot (pre epa as well)

I second the previous post. While my ecofan was bought as a gimmick, it does move air around the room. More importantly, its a visual cue of the temp of my stove. Usually starts spinning around 200 degrees and up to 300 degrees when it turns too fast for me to gauge it.

I picked up one for $30 on amazon this fall. I was thinking of taking it apart and turning it into a stovetop LED light when I bought it, but the fan has been so nice that I ditched that plan. It's very quiet, free to run, and pulls some heat off the stove.

I wouldn't call it a must-have, but I like it more than I expected.

None, I use 4 dc ceiling fans in the house. Two upstairs and two downstairs. Each draws 3 watts, and keeps the temperature stratfication down.

Reactions: Joyboy and Todd67
None, I use 4 dc ceiling fans in the house. Two upstairs and two downstairs. Each draws 3 watts, and keeps the temperature stratfication down.

What powers your DC ceiling fans? Solar, wind...?

View attachment 237437

Vulcan stirling Engine fan. Got this as a Christmas gift. As it’s a sterling engine, it needs more heat to operate than most of the fans on Amazon do; generally won’t start moving until stove top temp has reached 400. Pushes a noticeable amount of air. I really like that it’s upper limit is 900 f. Some of the other fans I’ve seen can’t withstand temps of higher than 700 and I wouldn’t want to be constantly worrying about ruining the fan if I ran it too hot.

I've also got the Vulcan Stirling fan. Its pricy but it works great. So much cooler than an electric fan. It does make a little bit of a chugging noise above 500, kind of gives the stove a heartbeat and I can barely hear it from the master bed directly above the stove when its cranking. Mine will operate starting around 350ish.

I've also got the Vulcan Stirling fan. Its pricy but it works great. So much cooler than an electric fan. It does make a little bit of a chugging noise above 500, kind of gives the stove a heartbeat and I can barely hear it from the master bed directly above the stove when its cranking. Mine will operate starting around 350ish.

Yes! I like that description of a heartbeat mine does the same. Very cool fan