Storage temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coolidge

Dec 16, 2008
Maine
Heres a question for all you gasifier users. How much wood do you consume when firing your boiler at the beginning of the year to get your storage up to 180? Lets say 1000 gal. I know there will be differences, boilers, firebox size.

I dont really try to get my storage to 180 the first burn. I can have heat for the house in about 3 hrs. I have a eko 60 and 1000gal of storage

Rob

I aim for about 175 at the top of my tank (957gallon unpressurized). At around high 130's I fire one load and get it up to pretty much 175 with my fan running at 80%. It of course depends on if the house calls for heat when firing.

Hx 3- 180' copper coils Plumbed parallel
boiler Tarm solo plus 60

I dont fire again until my tank is high 130's

I Think most with 1000 gal storage burn all year for dhw so it rarely cools completley to room temp.

woodsmaster said:
I Think most with 1000 gal storage burn all year for dhw so it rarely cools completley to room temp.

Mine hasn't gone below 120* since I got it up and running. However, the first time I charged it I was surprised at how long it took...

My first fire of the year usually takes two days to complete. When my storage is 100% at room temp (60 degrees top to bottom) it takes a solid weekend to get everything up to useable temps. By the midway point of the second day I'll usually start heating the house.

As noted above, during the heating season the temps never drop that low again. I can leave my boiler unburned for 3-4 days (vacation for example) and the temps will not drop below 100....

Speaking of storage temps.. What is the hottest you can safely heat presserized storage?

woodsmaster said:
Speaking of storage temps.. What is the hottest you can safely heat presserized storage?

It's hard to get above 195 since most boilers will idle at 195. I've had my storage just a shade over 190 top to bottom. It's hard to do and is not particularly efficient since the boiler idles a lot towards the end. I did it just to see what my system pressure would be. I typically go no higher than 180-185 during normal operation. This is all I need to heat my house for 16 hours from storage...

Status
Not open for further replies.