Storing Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewChurchill

Minister of Fire
Mar 31, 2008
Vermont
I'm getting 8 tons of pellets. I've read that it's better to leave the pellets in the bag in order to prevent the pellets from absorbing moisture.

My question is if I store the pellets in a heated basement and put a vapor barrier (i.e. tarp) on the floor couldn't I remove the pellets from the bag and pour them into the bin rather than carrying 400 bags into the basement and stacking them?

Thanks,
Andy

That's going to be a pretty big bin. Do you plan on using 8 tons in 1 winter? I would still be worried about moisture getting to the pellets.

I think if you are going to bring all the bags into the basement, it is not really much time to stack the pellets. It would probably take more time to open and empty the bags.

I think it is easier to carry a 40-lb bag up to the stove rather than to bring a coal hod full of pellets (which will be less than 40-lbs).

Bottom line. If it were me, I think I would stack em.

I'm installing a Harman PB105 boiler and the bin will be located close to the boiler. So I would use a 5 gallon bucket to scoop the pellets out of the bin and pour them into the boiler.

The way my my drive way is set up it would be much faster to open the bags and pour them down a chute rather than carry the bags 200' round trip.

Gotcha... That makes a lot of sense.

As far as the pellets staying dry in that environment, I probably can't comment on as I have no experience.

Build a sealed bin. It's really not that hard, and you can use "wasted" space under a stairwell, for example. Or buy one, depending on location. A 1600-gallon, cone-bottom storage tank and a vacuum transfer system will work for most systems, and the cost is pretty reasonable over the long term. Plus, it often allows for the storage bin to be located near the delivery point, making loose pellet delivery easy.

I don't know about the Harman, but we're working on an automatic system for the Pinnacle PB150 that will turn the vacuum transfer system on and off as needed to keep the appliance hopper full. Since there's some noise involved, in addition to the sensors that tell it when to start and stop, it will also be linked to a timer that prevents it from operating during a user-selected "quiet time" (eg, night time for most folks). Once it's complete, I suppose we will have to see if it would be able to fit other appliances (like your Harman).

Even without the automated system, the ability of the vacuum transfer system to fill the hopper by flipping a switch and pulling a lever is a nice labor-saver for folks. Especially if the bin is most practical to locate somewhere remote from the boiler, for delivery convenience.

Joe

Watch your neighborhood for old slide from the outdoor play sets. When someone goes to through one away, grab it. They work great on the steps and slide the bag down. You can even remove a basement window and use the slide. If no slide is available you can use plywood but paint it or the bags will tear.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.