storing your wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

csierotnik

Dec 10, 2010
Syracuse, NY
I have been splitting wood this year and I am storing/drying it in my detached garage. The garage is pretty old and there is not much to it. Its dry and hot. I have the splits sitting on pallets. Do you think I should store it outdoors or do you think it will dry okay in the old garage?

How much air is moving through that old garage? My old garage is block to the rafters and is never dry. I leave it outside. But, as hot and dry as its been lately, I wouldn't bother moving it out as long as there is some air moving through it.

csierotnik said:
I have been splitting wood this year and I am storing/drying it in my detached garage. The garage is pretty old and there is not much to it. Its dry and hot. I have the splits sitting on pallets. Do you think I should store it outdoors or do you think it will dry okay in the old garage?

Leave the door and any windows open and it'll be fine.

I like outside.. But then again... Itys my 1st year. I have only gone by the advice given. I will soon be doing an experiment, where I keep wood (From the same "Lot") in my outside stacks and some in my 30 x 40 Barn.. Better to season, with, or without moisture???? More pics to come on that.

Attachments

• Stacks (all done).jpg
    Stacks (all done).jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 444
outside is better, imo, put it in the garage after it is seasoned. Wind and sun is the best. Rain will not hurt it.

GolfandWoodNut said:
outside is better, imo, put it in the garage after it is seasoned. Wind and sun is the best. Rain will not hurt it.

Interesting hypothesis about the rain. What many refer to as "seasoning" is really "drying" and rain sure as (bleep) will not help that; you can only see what's happening on the surface, and moisture can diffuse in just as well as out.

Case in point: lumber processors (yes, wood IS lumber) keep covers above drying stickered stacks.

I stack and season it on pallets in the wind and sun then move it into the shelter once it's ready.. It would dry in the shelter (all the sides are open) OK but has better sun and wind in the open..

Ray

CTYank said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

Interesting hypothesis about the rain. What many refer to as "seasoning" is really "drying" and rain sure as (bleep) will not help that; you can only see what's happening on the surface, and moisture can diffuse in just as well as out.

Case in point: lumber processors (yes, wood IS lumber) keep covers above drying stickered stacks.

We're not talking lumber here. Firewood is not a sponge; it won't soak up the rainwater. Let it rain an inch or more and the wood is dry the next day.

It is still best to dry the wood outside where the wind will hit the stacks of wood. Sunshine is nice too but wind is the most important. Will the wood dry in the old garage? Yes, it just takes longer.

We'll continue to do what we have found best; stack the wood out in the wind. Leave it uncovered the first summer and fall (we do all the cutting in winter and splitting as soon as the snow melts). Before the snow flies we than cover only the top of the wood stacks. Let the snow and rain hit the sides of the stacks as it will do no harm at all. Like I stated, wood is not a sponge.....unless it is punky but that is another can of beans.

Bigg_Redd said:
csierotnik said:

Leave the door and any windows open and it'll be fine.

+1

Ditto to what others have said . . . I leave my wood uncovered for a year exposed to the sun and wind . . . and then stick it in the woodshed for another year . . . and then it gets burned in Year 3.

That said . . . I suspect you would be OK with the wood in the garage . . . but I would probably leave it out in the sun and wind until the Fall if you're planning on burning the wood this year . . . just to give it a little more exposure to the sun and wind . . . you could top cover or not cover . . . depends on your preference.

CTYank said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

CTYank, it looks like you are losing the vote. :coolhmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.