Storm Last Night - Amazing Lightning Strike on Tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats actually exactly what I was thinking Scotty! I thought it would be fun to make a day of it for everybody with dinner afterwards, and her uncle also burns wood and has a 290 Farm Boss like me, so between the four of us we could make very short work of it!

I'm with certified106 on this one.

zap

Definitely a cherry tree...and definitely a dead tree.

Lightning is amazing stuff. I've had 2 too close encounters with it and they both were surreal. I can't say I wasn't scared, but they happened so fast and were so overwhelming I didn't really have time to get scared...was just trying to figure out what the hell just happened.

The first time I was at my parent sitting on the porch and lightning got a tree in the back yard about 50' away. There was a storm rolling in so I expected lightning but not that close.

The second time was when I was working on putting siding on my parents house. It was a normal overcast day...no signs of rain let alone a storm. I was standing in the yard and lightning hit a HUGE black locust tree about 25' away. I got showered with burning bark...hot enough to leave a couple marks. I don't remember hearing it...just remember the flash and then being on the ground (I probably ducked and didn't get knocked down). A few moments later my ears started ringing. Scary stuff. The scarier part was my dad was on a ladder right next to the TV antennae when it hit. He was downright lucky. A real "storm" never materialized. Just that one lone strike.

Seems like around me the big Cotton Wood and Bass trees get hit like that.
I took one down in my front yard that had been struck 2 time.
Not quite that bad though.

Status
Not open for further replies.