Stove Adapter/Pellet Pipe Recommendation (PICS)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

richkorn

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 28, 2008
SE CT
I have a Lopi Leyden with 4" vent. The dealer/installer did not put on an appliance adapter when they installed it. They just inserted the "T" directly into the stove outlet and wrapped with aluminum tape. The "T" then goes into 4" ForeverFlex liner 25' up.

So, I want to put on an appliance adapter and run that into the T. Any suggestions as to what type/brand I should look at?

I do not know what brand the T is that I have, I think the ends are smooth with no twist lock ends; I assume any adapter that can slide into that T would work fine, even if it's a twist lock type?

Thanks guys.

No name tag on the tee? How about the flex pipe?

If you post a photo of the tee. One of us will ID the bugger for you. I would use the adapter that matches the tee! Better that way.

j-takeman said:

If you post a photo of the tee. One of us will ID the bugger for you. I would use the adapter that matches the tee! Better that way.

They painted the T black out in driveway before installing so I can't tell what it is. this is my 3rd season with this and I am not planning on doing this mod until next Spring anyway but want to start thinking about it. I agree I should match adapter to the T. I might just buy a new T also why I'm at it and I think I will need another 6" section between the adapter and the T also to do it right so the stove flex liner isn't snug up against the fireplace 8" flue.

This sits in front of my prefab fireplace and vents up 25' with the "ForeverFlex" brand of flex liner. The T is inserted into that and has a hose clamp around it and wrapped with aluminum tape. I don't have a problem with that at all but do have a problem with the T going right into the stove vent with no adapter. I need to do it right.

I'll take some pics and post and hopefully you can see what I have; but, it's real tight behind there I'll get what I can.

Thanks.

richkorn said:
j-takeman said:

They painted the T black out in driveway before installing so I can't tell what it is. this is my 3rd season with this and I am not planning on doing this mod until next Spring anyway but want to start thinking about it. I agree I should match adapter to the T. I might just buy a new T also why I'm at it and I think I will need another 6" section between the adapter and the T also to do it right so the stove flex liner isn't snug up against the fireplace 8" flue.

This sits in front of my prefab fireplace and vents up 25' with the "ForeverFlex" brand of flex liner. The T is inserted into that and has a hose clamp around it and wrapped with aluminum tape. I don't have a problem with that at all but do have a problem with the T going right into the stove vent with no adapter. I need to do it right.

I'll take some pics and post and hopefully you can see what I have; but, it's real tight behind there I'll get what I can.

Thanks.

OK, this is your third season, you don't want to change it until spring, so it obviously works fine, your dealer/installer put it in this way, and NOW you want to change it , and this is because........ Guess I'm missing something here.

OK, this is your third season, you don't want to change it until spring, so it obviously works fine, your dealer/installer put it in this way, and NOW you want to change it , and this is because........ Guess I'm missing something here.

This is because, as far as i'm concerned, it wasn't installed correctly in the first place and smokes too much at start up; so it does not work fine and never has. I wanted to change it out back then but never had time to do it and i now have more knowledge of how pellet stoves should be installed and pellet stoves in general. So I'm finally going to get around to doing it "right" myself in the Spring. This thing should have an adapter so i'm going to put one on. I'm just looking for recommendations as to what I should use etc.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

Well, OK, then, and good luck, hope it works out well for ya.

richkorn said:
...... it wasn't installed correctly in the first place and smokes too much at start up; so it does not work fine and never has..........This thing should have an adapter so i'm going to put one on......

I agree. Regardless of whether or not it was installed wrong long ago doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed now.

The Astoria I had 2 years ago was a dealer showroom display/burn model, and THEY installed it in the showroom wrong w/o an appliance adapter (just put GOBS of silicone around pipe), but that doesn't mean I should do the same WRONG thing.

hossthehermit said:
Well, OK, then, and good luck, hope it works out well for ya.

Thanks Hoss. I suppose i could leave it as is. I'm thinking adding the adapter will also give me another 3-4" to get behind the stove for cleaning/maint.

smwilliamson said:
Are you sure the T is not and adapter T? They make those you know. Personally, I'd silicone the T end, put it back on and set with a couple of screws. Done.

No I looked at some pics of adapter T-s and mine definitely just got stuck right inside the stove outlet. It doesn't go over (wrap around) the outlet at all. Guess I really won't know for sure what this T is until I take it out.

Here's some pics attached let me know what you think. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• Stove Adapter/Pellet Pipe Recommendation (PICS)
    PS1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 815
    PS2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 814
    PS3.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 811
    PS4.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 829
    PS5.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 852
    PS6.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 834
WTF!! Is that a 3" tee stuck into a 4" outlet? If so that is completely wrong! surprised there hasn't been more trouble than what you've had!

balls of fire said:
WTF!! Is that a 3" tee stuck into a 4" outlet? If so that is completely wrong! surprised there hasn't been more trouble than what you've had!

I measured and OD of T looks about 4". I assume the ID of the stove exit piece is 4". Yep - this is why i want to do it right. The whole venting is 4".

I wouldn't wait until Spring I'd fix it now.
I'd get a new T and adapter (twist lock style) if I couldn't
find the right adapter to use with the existing T.
It won't take you long to change it out with
the right parts. Just my 2c.

Xena said:
I wouldn't wait until Spring I'd fix it now.
I'd get a new T and adapter (twist lock style) if I couldn't
find the right adapter to use with the existing T.
It won't take you long to change it out with
the right parts. Just my 2c.

how about Simpson pellet vent Appliance Adapter into the matching T like these?

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SP-4PVP-ADB
http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SP-4PVP-TB

And then T into the flex liner like it is now.

~*~vvv~*~ said:
read the directions? i think u can go 3" for a certain distance & then have to go to 4"...........manual vent specs should say

Leyden manual says 4". The exit from the stove is 4". Right now it's all 4' but as you can see i think they could have done a better job. I'll fix it.

If the OD is closer to 4" then you actually have a 3" pellet vent, if it is pellet vent. I wasn't trying to be an ass but I just can't believe that it was professionaly installed. Could've been a huge liablilty issue from a retail/installer standpoint and a saftety issue for the homeowner.
From the Lopi manual: "Must be 4" diameter Type "L" (except for masonry fireplace installations) - or - connect the
vent to a factory built type "A" chimney." I would never size down from what the exhaust outlet is and the way the manual reads a fireplace install could be a grey area as far as the instructions read.

balls of fire said:
If the OD is closer to 4" then you actually have a 3" pellet vent, if it is pellet vent. I wasn't trying to be an ass but I just can't believe that it was professionaly installed. Could've been a huge liablilty issue from a retail/installer standpoint and a saftety issue for the homeowner.
From the Lopi manual: "Must be 4" diameter Type "L" (except for masonry fireplace installations) - or - connect the
vent to a factory built type "A" chimney." I would never size down from what the exhaust outlet is and the way the manual reads a fireplace install could be a grey area as far as the instructions read.

If I remember correctly when I asked them about it sometime after it was installed they said the T is single wall stainless steel and that's ok because it's inside the fireplace and out of reach. Can other installers here verify this? Right now I'd like to move forward and get recommendations on what to use to do it right.

Oh, I measured the circumference of the T pipe going into the stove. It is 13" and that = 4" diameter.

Thanks for input.

"If I remember correctly when I asked them about it sometime after it was installed they said the T is single wall stainless steel and that’s ok because it’s inside the fireplace and out of reach. Can other installers here verify this? Right now I’d like to move forward and get recommendations on what to use to do it right."
Like I said that is the grey area I was talking about, yes the manual for the stove does allow that and I would say that the tee should be on the outside but then again that is just the way I would install it.

"I would say that the tee should be on the outside but then again that is just the way I would install it."

I Agree!

Richkorn, remember one thing. The designation of a 3" or 4" pipe is referring to the OD of the INSIDE pipe that actually carries the exhaust....not the outside pipe which is simply a heat shield.

On the other hand, the pipe coming from the stove IS the exhaust pipe, and is 4" OD. It sure looks like you have 3" stove pipe that the installer inserted inside the stove exhaust.

I wonder if he screwed-up when he first installed it (he brought 3" for the install since most pellet stoves are 3"), and then didn't want to admit his mistake and just "made it fit"?

imacman said:
Richkorn, remember one thing. The designation of a 3" or 4" pipe is referring to the OD of the INSIDE pipe that actually carries the exhaust....not the outside pipe which is simply a heat shield.

On the other hand, the pipe coming from the stove IS the exhaust pipe, and is 4" OD. It sure looks like you have 3" stove pipe that the installer inserted inside the stove exhaust.

I wonder if he screwed-up when he first installed it (he brought 3" for the install since most pellet stoves are 3"), and then didn't want to admit his mistake and just "made it fit"?

Thanks. the T does not have an inside pipe. It is single wall 4" T. They took single wall (not pellet vent) T and stuck it into stove outlet. Anyway, It does work but the consensus is it is not right and that's why I asked so I will change it out with a matching adapter and T like in the links I posted above when I get a chance.

On a brighter side, I woke up to nice fire this morning - only 43 outside right now.

Thanks.

richkorn said:
......the T does not have an inside pipe. It is single wall 4" T. They took single wall (not pellet vent) T and stuck it into stove outlet. ......

The INSTALLER put in pipe that wasn't pellet vent???? How long ago was this? (maybe I missed when it was done). If it wasn't too long ago, I'd make the installer come back & install the correct pipe.

EDIT: never mind...I went back and saw that you had the install in '08.....too long ago. Too bad.

imacman said:
richkorn said:
......the T does not have an inside pipe. It is single wall 4" T. They took single wall (not pellet vent) T and stuck it into stove outlet. ......

The INSTALLER put in pipe that wasn't pellet vent???? How long ago was this? (maybe I missed when it was done). If it wasn't too long ago, I'd make the installer come back & install the correct pipe.

EDIT: never mind...I went back and saw that you had the install in '08.....too long ago. Too bad.

So they're required now either way to use only pellet vent pipe?

I did ask them when they put it in and they swore it was ok and normal for them to do it this way inside the fireplace. No biggie... I'll do it right myself.

Are these Pellet Vent Pro by Simpson a good choice?

I figure I might also need a 6" section between the adapter and the T since my T is pretty long and the Simpson is much shorter, at least in the pics.

Guess I'm good to go.

Thanks all.

Attachments

5SP-4PVP-TB-xlg.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 459
    5SP-4PVP-ADB-xlg.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 481
One more piece to do the job right with pelletvent pro piping. You need the female adapter to the flex vent pipe. Number 4PVP-ADFF

Attachments

5SP-4PVP-ADFF-xlg.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 460
Status
Not open for further replies.