Stove Base Over Carpeted Area?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DCH

Feb 5, 2023
Kansas, USA
Any concerns about mounting a stove base over existing carpet? I'm installing this Round Oak here (pictured). I plan on building a solid frame base. I'll tile it - on top of Wonder Board - on top of 3/4" plywood. I'll place Wonder Board on the wall and use antique tin ceiling tile to cover the Wonder Board. I'll build a frame and mantel around the tin ceiling tile. I have plenty of room to meet 18" of clearance all around the stove. The ceiling is 12' high along this wall giving me plenty of room to frame in the mantel. I'm having an HVAC company run the stove pipe.
image0.jpeg

Is there a UL tag on the stove... if not you'll need to install it per NFPA non-listed stove, fyi your homeowners insurance may not like your idea, even if its installed per non-listed stove specs.

Is there a UL tag on the stove... if not you'll need to install it per NFPA non-listed stove, fyi your homeowners insurance may not like your idea, even if its installed per non-listed stove specs.
The stove was manufactured in 1904. No tag. Its a restored stove. Is the
Is there a file on this site that I can research the NFPA non-listed specs required?

Google nfpa 211 unlisted wood stove install specs

It can’t be installed legally, and insurance will probably not cover a claim, but installed to NFPA-211 the installation can be made safe. It will require 36 inches to combustibles or install a ventilated wall shield as specified in NFPA-211. (66% reduction down to 12” minimum)

I hope you are only planning on burning coal. Only the square Round Oaks are for wood only. These were designed for soft coal and later had wood grate offered. They can overfire with wood easily. You should know what you have inside with or without original coal cast liner. (Need more pics to confirm, base burners and base heaters are very similar, plus there are double burners, literally 100’s of models made for 50 years. Their reburn technology was out there for the time.) You will absolutely be delighted with a flue damper dampened way down. I first saw them closed fully at cruise I thought whaaaat? Draft is minimal on these way down to .02 ! I highly recommend a Dwyer draft gauge setting draft as well. They can run away easily. Check out Mntbugy posts on the Coalpail for lots of testing of them as he restores and fires them. The stove hospital posts there as well.

I picked up the only known Lillian-A I’ve ever seen made by Roberts and Winner & Co. (OK, it’s no P.D. Beckwith, but they are high quality sought after from PA) and am almost done with the restoration. Welcome to the world of restored antiques! It’s beautiful.

Last edited:
It can’t be installed legally, and insurance will probably not cover a claim, but installed to NFPA-211 the installation can be made safe. It will require 36 inches to combustibles or install a ventilated wall shield as specified in NFPA-211.

I hope you are only planning on burning coal. Only the square Round Oaks are for wood. These were designed for soft coal and later had wood grate offered. They can overfire with wood easily. You should know what you have inside with or without original coal cast liner. (Need more pics to confirm, base burners and base heaters are very similar. Their reburn technology was out there for the time.) You will absolutely be delighted with a flue damper dampened way down. I first saw them closed fully at cruise I thought whaaaat? Draft is minimal on these way down to .02 ! I highly recommend a Dwyer draft gauge setting draft as well. They can run away easily. Check out Mntbugy posts on the Coalpail for lots of testing of them as he restores and fires them. The stove hospital posts there as well.

I picked up the only known Lillian-A I’ve ever seen made by Roberts and Winner & Co. (OK, it’s no P.D. Beckwith, but they are high quality sought after from PA) and am almost done with the restoration. Welcome to the world of restored antiques! It’s beautiful.

So the carpet is the issue with the legality? I'll remove the carpet from under that base, and ensure it meets specs. I do have plenty of space to meet the 36", and I plan on having the 1" gap between the heat shield and Wonder Board wall backing. This stove does have a wood grate. I'll get a copy of NFPA-211 from the library. We bought it from a store with several working wood-burning Round Oaks. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
your base will not be enough, you will need to look at K factor to have the appropriate thickness.

No, NFPA has an entire section for reducing clearances and floor protection, so you can reduce down to 12 inches with the approved ventilated shield.

The installation legality is not being UL Listed.

NFPA-211 is the National Standard. Codes adopt it, and can add to it, but not take anything away from it. This is due to such a large country requiring special additions for certain areas. Then local codes adopt NFPA, the state code, and can add to that in cities requirement more restrictions. So that’s how codes work. Enforced or not, it comes down to that is what insurance companies must use.

Your state adopted the ICC International Family of Codes like most. The Mechanical Code is where you will find solid fuel burning appliances and venting. That code added ALL appliances must be UL Listed with Label attached for new installations. You can use an existing unlisted stove, but no longer install them. That stopped unlisted and antiques years ago in almost all states.

Some still install, and claim they were existing. Hence the used stove market. Many insurance companies require all appliances now to be UL Listed even when existing. They can make their own rules and regulations.

The only way a insurance company has to pay a claim is something in writing from them stating they will cover a non-code complaint installation. That is rare. Salesmen may tell you it’s fine, and take your payment, but adjusters in the event of a claim go by the Standard and code.