Stove Lighting in 15 days J.A. Jung Sirius wood stove..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clancey

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
Its been a long time since last March but finally in 15 days I am going to light my wood stove (J.A. Roby Sirius Wood burning stove)....This is one of my first threads that I put on here...
Now my question for this new thread is I brought some wood inside today which is kiln dried oak wood about 16 inches and I took some pictures as well...Do you think this is enough of wood just to light the stove for the first time on Oct 28th and my installer of the stove will light it for me..I just bought this stove for an emergency in case the grid goes down or something and will not be used that much (I think)--lol---for I am a oldster and not really experienced with this wood burning by way of a wood stove and need to break it in so its a 15 day count down here-lol..Do you think by the picture that I have enough of wood to break this in? I have two fire extinguishers and some Fat Wood and some quick survive that lights any fire fast and some lighter cubes by weber and a aim and flame multipurpose lighter and a ash can with a little shovel as well as a stove pipe temperature gauge and a wood tester for dryness and a trivet for my water kettle. Since you good folk have helped me all along this path can you think of anything else that I might need besides a pretty wall covering...pictures now...I sincerely want to thank everyone of you good folk now can you think of anything else that I will need to get for the stove lighting in 15 days..old mrs clancey

Stove Wood 10-13-21 001.JPG Stove Wood 10-13-21 005.JPG Stove Wood 10-13-21 004.JPG Stove Wood 10-13-21 006.JPG Stove Wood 10-13-21 007.JPG

Reactions: dafattkidd
Yes!
That will be at least two full stoves I think.
(Though the first one or two lightings will likely use less wood, to off gas any stuff from the stove and pipe.)

Exciting! (And peaceful, looking into a well-contained and managed fire!)

Oh Brother---I sure hope I do not get addicted to this "stove wood burning"...I think I will bring in more wood just in case the weather turns really bad at that time...Exciting you say--we will see about that...lol I hope my house does not burn down...too old for this...lol thanks clancey

You may want to ask your carpenter if you can get a bag or so of (untreated, unpainted) wood scraps; you need some kindling.

Reactions: MR. GLO and clancey
those are "starters" (for which I use newspaper). But starting big splits with those may or may not be easy, depending on how big they are, what type of wood they are, and how dry they are.
A few pieces of kindling (e.g. 1/2"x1/2" sticks of lumber) help a lot - they light up easy, stay lit for enough time to start the bigger splits.

But maybe others have used the starters you have there and are able to immediately go to splits. However, I'd be careful; your guy comes out to help you, and it's best that you don't run into "it won't start" due to a lack of kindling...

Reactions: clancey and MrCool1
nice install and stove!
wish you were close enough to bring you some small kindling stuff.
also - rule in my house is that nothing gets split inside the house - I have had a hearth broken by a girlfriend (years ago) thinking it would be ok to whack a piece of wood with just a hatchet - on the hearth - just to make kindling- and yet there is always a bucket of it on the back porch. I don't care for more debris in the house from splitting either! I have a place for that.
small shavings of really dry wood can help bump it to another level - it's all in your style of lighting and what you have - I bet your stove guy has taught a lot of people how to get it going!
I cut up old cedar fence posts to about a foot, split them to about 3 inches "square", then shave off strips to do the initial start - for what most people use newspaper for. (I gotz no newspaper!) they will catch a spark and go from a ferro rod - and I am addicted to that!
I hope you love it!
and I don't know how anyone cannot get addicted to watching a nice fire..........it's better than television.

Reactions: clancey and jmb6420
I keep a set of insulated welding gloves near the stove. When a split falls down against the glass doors I can reach in and move it. They're an important piece of safety gear, right after the fire extinguisher. I use Harbor Freight "MIG" welding gloves. It's remarkable how far I can stick my hand into the stove and not even feel heat.

My Flame Monaco zero clearance EPA stove works best for both cold starts and reloads by loading it up full. I use the top down approach, modified by putting some kindling above the paper. Starting a small fire and adding wood does not work very well with this stove. I try to not open the stove when it's burning as that can let smoky air into the house. I wait till it's down to coals and they have burned down some before reloading.

Most of the wood species I burn generate kindling as I split it. I keep a garbage can next to the splitter as I an working to toss them in. The cans go into the barn to dry. I have more than I need without trying to split splits into kindling (a good way to lose a finger if you are not careful).

I carry wood into the house in sturdy plastic bins. They are enclosed, so the dirt and cruft that falls off the wood stays in the bin and off the floor.

Reactions: clancey
The OP is a "lady of respected age", so splitting trash is unlikely to be generated on site...

(hope I -non-native speaker- talked about the awkward subject of my sentence in a non-offending way... :p )

Reactions: clancey and jmb6420
Well I will just e-mail my stove installer Chris and have him bring kindling over for its above my pay grade---yea I am keeping an eye on you stoveliker... That ericm970 suggestions were just wonderful especially about those gloves and I will get a pair real quick--thanks so much everyone for you all are really encouraging me but I do have this tool that I am not going to try to use (I think)--but maybe later when I get better at this sort of thing...Here is a picture of it....Well we will see young one if I get addicted to this better than TV...lol...My carpenter flew the coop he is in Florida...but I do have this tool that I will not try to use but maybe the installer might find it handy but I am not sure..My carpenter left it here for me...it's a saw...clancey

saw 001.JPG

Reactions: dafattkidd
You can cut up scrap wood with that. If you find a pallet at a store, see if you can take it. That's good kindling wood. You want to make thin spindly pieces.

Wipe down the stove and the stove pipe before lighting, warm light soapy water and a wash cloth will remove any dust, handprint oils and what ever else might be on the stove top so it doesn't set in when the paint starts its final cure.
Edit - you need a nice rocking chair in that room to enjoy the flames and think about spring projects.

Yea my carpenter gave me some of that spindly wood and I threw it away thinking that it was just trash...(you are talking about long thin little pieces)..For now I am just going to let my stove man know that I do not have any kindling wood but I have a saw and could he cut up one of my 16 inch logs for I have a few that looks like a cut job on them would make them better...In the meanwhile that pallet suggestion is a good one but not for me at this time...I do have some left over pine trim and left over pieces of 2.4's---they might work in a pinch...I also have some of that outer bark of the wood that I did not throw away and would that work? clancey

The 2*4s should work. The bark depends a lot on what species it is, I guess . I don't use it as kindling, so I can't comment.

Well good job because I was just going to leave the stove dirty and dusty thinking the fire would burn it all off---thank you and I will get on that job and I am going to love to do that for I just so far love my stove...yea I would love a rocking chair in that room and in time I will get one but right now I am trying to get things that are fire proof--like plastic chairs and metal cages and marble tops and I pushed that wood pile the furthest away from the stove that I could--lol...Later rocking chairs will come in handy when I know what I am up against and might have a few puffs too. lol Thank you so much everyone for all the wonderful suggestions and if you think of some more --keep them coming..clancey

Plastic chairs are not fireproof. Or even melting-proof. A good wooden chair is safer; accidentally bumping a plastic chair against the stove results in ugly stains, molten chairs, stinking gases, and possibly fire. Bumping a wooden chair won't result in melting or fire (unless it remains leaning against the stove).

Plastic gets soft when hot. I would not out a plastic chair nearby. (I don't want to say through the chair while enjoying the fire...)

Yea for now my two chairs will be all the way on the other side of the rooms and in the beginning as I get to know about this affair I will sit on the concrete steps with a soft pillow in front of the french door area entrance--thanks stoveliker..clancey

Reactions: stoveliker
Well today was the stove lighting and I have some pictures. To my surprise there was hardly any smoke coming out of the outside stack and very little smoke inside the stove and the only smoke I saw was the burning off of the paint on the outside..Now when he shut the door and the flame was low I saw some smoke inside the stove..(scared me)--lol.. The blower automatically came on when it reached a certain temperature --no switch--for it or anything...The heat is "lovely" and "soft" and Yes I can get addicted to this..lol...Pictures now....Thanks everyone for all your help and this project was a success....Stove burning now and I am drinking coffee sitting in front of it..old clancey

Stove lighting 007.JPG Stove lighting 002.JPG Stove lighting 003.JPG Stove lighting 004.JPG Stove lighting 023.JPG Stove lighting 025.JPG Stove lighting 027.JPG Stove lighting 032.JPG Stove lighting 036.JPG

Just threw in some more wood --2 of them--(by myself)--do not like how the door works--really hard to open and should have grab bars or handles or something--do not like this design ..It burned about three hours and I had to load it again which I just did--scarey--flames inside got bigger...so I loaded it and "shut the door" praying that the door would work right...lol Everything good and blower is on and I am having coffee...clancey.. (almost 11.am)

Stove temperature is at 700 and it is the type of gauge that sits on the cooking burner for this is what the stove installer brought with him...Flat little round thing and stove looks really pretty with the flames--but it is at 700 and is this okay??clancey

temp gauge 002.JPG temp gauge 001.JPG

Gotta be nearly 600F in that tiny room! Can you open the house door furthest from the stove to let some heat escape into the house? Hope you have a nice supply of coffee. Guessing you may end up out by the stove often!

Temperature in the room is not bad because it was very cold this morning about 50 but now temperature in the room is 72 degrees and I opened up the doors and the rest of the house is warming...It actually going up the steps into the kitchen the heat...feels good...but is the gauge too high on the stove top 700---all windows and doors are open as well because of the new smell burning off....Thanks for the reply---just wondering if the gage is too high and dangerous at 700..clancey

The gauge temperature is going down now and that scared me to see it move up so high to 700 and just wonder if this was dangerous and should I give it less air or something..lol I am alone here and afraid of fire---lol Its okay for now at about 675 and dropping as the wood burns...clancey

The gauge temperature is going down now and that scared me to see it move up so high to 700 and just wonder if this was dangerous and should I give it less air or something..lol I am alone here and afraid of fire---lol Its okay for now at about 675 and dropping as the wood burns...clancey
Shouldn’t be any issues at 700F STT. Most stoves like to run between 400-700F at least that I’ve been exposed too.

Reactions: MrCool1 and clancey