• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 23, 2021
Vermont
Hi All:

So my new US steel woodstove is burning great. I love being able to heat up the house so much quicker. However now that I’m on about my 10th burn, when I get up to temp (380-400) I’m getting a “tink, tink, tink” noise that sounds like it is coming from The stove (not the flue pipe). This model (Federalist I believe, 2,000sq. Feet) has the wool pad and 4 metal air tubes in the top. The sound appears to go away below 350 / or when I damper down after a bit. Any ideas? Is it stil breaking in? I’ve already poked at least one of the tubes with a log inadvertently more than once. Still, they look to all be solidly in place- but are already totally black.

*I juts started a fire from warm Coals from
Earlier today so it’s not like I was starting it from cold as the stove was still warm……Thoughts?

Hi All:

So my new US steel woodstove is burning great. I love being able to heat up the house so much quicker. However now that I’m on about my 10th burn, when I get up to temp (380-400) I’m getting a “tink, tink, tink” noise that sounds like it is coming from The stove (not the flue pipe). This model (Federalist I believe, 2,000sq. Feet) has the wool pad and 4 metal air tubes in the top. The sound appears to go away below 350 / or when I damper down after a bit. Any ideas? Is it stil breaking in? I’ve already poked at least one of the tubes with a log inadvertently more than once. Still, they look to all be solidly in place- but are already totally black.

Earlier today so it’s not like I was starting it from cold as the stove was still warm……Thoughts?
Normal sounds of a steel stove heating up. They all do it to some extent

It's nearly halloween. If the sounds get worse in the next few days, I suggest you buy a wooden stake.

Other than that, I concur with the above.

The new Legend III was eerily quiet for it's first several fires (even after broken-in). Now it's making the familiar noises. Phew! I was wondering what the heck was going on!

Hi All:

I think we have the same stove. Mines the vogelzang version. Mine make those noises every burn. Great little stoves for what they are

I think we have the same stove. Mines the vogelzang version. Mine make those noises every burn. Great little stoves for what they are
This is mine - For $799 I’m really
Happy. Not fancy and beautiful like my former soapstone but honestly It’s way less maitence and easier to use….for now it’s doing its job.

This is mine - For $799 I’m really
Happy. Not fancy and beautiful like my former soapstone but honestly It’s way less maitence and easier to use….for now it’s doing its job.

6DFD082F-68C1-41CC-8FED-5E58C3F8F5AB.jpeg

Heres mine right now. Looks like the shape of the doors is different. But same stove. I like mine alot. It's a little small for our house wich is 3k sqft. Thinking about getting the 3200spft version of this stove for 1500 at menards. Last winter was my first with it. And it held up well.

20221028_204453.jpg

Here's another one that tinks. Another sheet steel stove, that is. It's tinking right now on the cool-down end.

F74726BD-794F-41A8-9172-9E20CC6E590C.jpeg

Reactions: Vg3200p
It's a Drolet legend III. We like stoves on legs. I don't know why, but that's just us. We like the proportions of this one. And we like simple things that just plain work.

And thanks!

It's nearly halloween. If the sounds get worse in the next few days, I suggest you buy a wooden stake.

Other than that, I concur with the above.
It’s either normal stove sounds of the metal heating up or zombies (maybe ghouls). It’s tough to know which.

For op this is mine from a cold start off of 1 coal left. From 18hrs ago. stovetop less than 100. Flue temp about 150 to 200 on outside of single wall pipe. She ticks real loud for 2 or 3 minutes on cold start

Attachments

• 20221030_052328.mp4
    16.9 MB
Its normal. Mine does it too. Its just the metal heating up like was stated. On the bright side, if its tinging, youre on your way to a hot flue.

That clink you all hear is just money being saved from using oil, nat gas or electric