Stove options and considerations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maj92az

Sep 26, 2020
N Idaho
I swear I'm all over this forum. One minute I'm talking about a wood furnace then I start thinking other options...

Anyways, if I were to do away with my wood furnace- a late 80s charmaster. Thing seems to have gummed up bad, and very few owners out there.. plus.. a wood furnace isnt totally what I wanted. Looking for supplement heat.. not whole home.

What are my options to install a wood stove. I have a "closed" lay out. I imagine the only option is to redesign the fireplace. Maybe extend the hearth and put a medium sized stove in front with a rear flue into the existing lined chimney??

Anything to consider? I currently have an old insert. Blower is noisy and all. Dont care for "fireplaces" but would enjoy a stove. That fire place is what I call fake.. very little masonry and on the other side is the garage- it's just a wooden frame supporting the liner. The room is 12ft wide.

Attachments

• 20201013_154026.jpg
    20201013_154026.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 105
Looks like a ZC fireplace. To start with, what is the make and model? If unknown, look in the door frame for a tag with this info.

I have a 1980s Pre Way BI 36 B insert.
It appears it was built in.. I am new to wood burning and this Zero clearance makes me nervous. But still would consider somehow designing a way to put a "basic" stove out front. Maybe extend the a new hearth? Certainly a spring/summer job. But no idea where to begin. But then at the same time.. if I can be convinced a zero clearance is safe and a newer modern insert is instslled- with a quiet and working blower- I could go that way too. Just seems tricky to match my stone and remortor all around plus connect my liner- assuming it's still in good shape. My damper control and damper seems to be apart of the insert too..

From further research and talking to few local companies i have learned there are no components i can use to vent a stove out this chimney. I still sm not sure what my zero clearance is.. is there a "fireplace" and then a insert? Did some come as a combo, such as mine. What type of work am I looking at to utilize that space? Pull the liner and install a stove pipe?? I have no idea what it looks like if I were to pull that large cap off of my chimney. Unsure how a stove pipe would get secured. Are there additional chimney related issues? At the bottom I can include a clean out and a damper. Are there any areas I should inspect and grab pics or measurements of to help know what we're dealing with? I'll also add that the flue is currently a 8"

Of course I'll need to include other details such as extend my hearth (to chosen stove specs)

Last edited:
A Zero Clearance fireplace like you have is a factory built fireplace that can and may be installed like yours is ,zero clearance to combustible building materials, such as in a framed stud wall. A fireplace insert on the other hand must be installed into a masonry fireplace . Meaning a fireplace that was originally intended to burn in without an insert.

Some companies still call this an insert. That is a confusing misnomer. It is a Zero Clearance fireplace. An insert goes into (inserts) a preexisting fireplace.
One option might be to put a freestanding, rear-vented stove in front of this fireplace with a liner up the chimney.