stove pipe heat shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhof0306

Aug 1, 2008
Southwest NH
For those of you who are concerned about how hot the wall behind your stove pipe gets, get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZQR3Q

Normally, I like to support the local economy, but the local stove shop wanted $38 for this. I paid $23.10 delivered. With my install, I didn't have to attach it to the stove pipe. I just extended it so it was the right length and stood it on the back of the stove behind the stove pipe. It makes a world of difference, and I can now sleep while the fires of hell are burning in a metal box in my family room.

You won't regret it. :coolsmile:

Thanks for the tip, it's exactly what Im looking for. However, I don't know if newer stoves have this but our single walled stove pipe that came with our stove has a damper on it, does this shield get in the way of the damper? Does it go all the way around the pipe?

This type of heat shield will wrap not quite half way around a 6" single-wall stovepipe, which is all it's intended to do, since you only have to worry about shielding the side closest to combustibles. I have one of these installed on my shop stove system. I wouldn't use one without fastening it properly to the pipe it's shielding. Four screws and you're good to go, nothing's ever gonna knock it over. Rick

I have the same pipe shield as Johnny B.

I does do the trick of reducing back side heat from the pipe.

Thanks for the post, it looks like it may be just what I need. I was curious, how does it attach to the stovepipe? Is there a spacer? Also, for my application, I probably wouldn't need the full 22" ( which is the shortest length that it can adjust to). Any idea if it can be cut? Just wondering if anyone has any insight. Thanks.

That particular adjustable heat shield that JohnnyB is talking about has its own little tabs on it that provide for the appropriate 1" air gap and for attaching to the stovepipe with 4 sheet metal screws. You could shorten it, but that would require taking the two sections apart and cutting them both...more trouble than it's worth, IMO. There are single-piece shields available, but the ones I've seen require the use of ceramic spacers...no biggie, but it just means more little parts to futz with to get it installed. For that matter, you could just get yourself a length of 24 gauge stovepipe and cut it lengthwise, trim it to whatever length you want, and put it up with some sort of non-combustible spacers and sheet metal screws. Rick

This is very rare, but I'm going to help Rick out.

The heat shields that Johnny and I have do have the little tabs as Rick described and they simply screw into the pipe with some sheet metal screws.

The cool feature about these things is that they slide together. They just slide to the length you (may) need.

In short this is a two piece heat shield that adjust 22.5 to 42 inches and is held in place with six screws.

For some silly reason I bought two of these things and would let go of the unused one new-in-box for make-an-offer. Just PM me if interested.

I sent BJ a message about the pipe, then decided to go pick up a stove thermometer at Home Improvement...and what did I see? The same shield, and it was only $25, compared to the $50 I was quoted through the fireplace store...so I bought some, can't wait to show the Bf :)

Status
Not open for further replies.