Stove pipe not fitting tightly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Robert99

Nov 15, 2018
Spokane, WA
I'm installing some new Security Chimney's brand dbl wall stove pipe. The 1st photo is of the stove adapter and the first section of pipe seated tightly and twisted into lock position. The 2nd photo shows the interior with a 1/16"+ gap on one side of the pipe. Through the gap you can see the light coming through the outer wall air slots. This is my first time putting together a stove and it seems to me that smoke would leak right out of that gap. Shouldn't they be tight fitting all around the joint? Thanks for your help.

upload_2018-11-15_15-18-25.png

Last edited by a moderator:
To ease your mind, go look at the draft hood of a gas water heater. Room air will get sucked in the gap, not blow smoke out. You are good. Only see one picture?