Stove Pipe Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JohnInAZ

Nov 27, 2017
Arizona
I have a pre-fab propane fireplace (Lennox). It had a large framed enclosure built around it, covered with faux rock. The height was 9 feet. Above that, the stove pipe is exposed for another 10 feet or so, up to the cathedral ceiling. The stove pipe is 8" M&G DuraVent (DuraBlack).

We decided we didn't like the framed enclosure, and removed it. Once it was removed, I could see that there is SecureVent SV4.5 vent underneath it. Since the enclosure is gone, only half the entire length is covered with the black DuraVent, and the remainder is ugly galvanized. Questions:

Can the SecureVent be disassembled, and more DuraVent be added?

Is that process difficult, or can a DIY guy handle it?

Is there a "split" cover I could use, than wouldn't require disassembly?

What's the easiest/best path forward?

Thanks,
John

I would paint the pipe with Hi Temp Black Stove Bright, to see how it looks, before trying to disassemble & replace any sections.
You may have to paint EVERYTHING so that it matches, but for a $10 can of spray paint, that's the way I'd go first.

I would paint the pipe with Hi Temp Black Stove Bright, to see how it looks, before trying to disassemble & replace any sections.
You may have to paint EVERYTHING so that it matches, but for a $10 can of spray paint, that's the way I'd go first.

I don't think I want to try spray painting in the house. I do think you are right about disassembly. It would be a major headache. I was at Home Depot today, and found 8" x 5' split galvanized stove pipe. I would say it's "appearance grade", shiny and flawless. As strange as it sounds, we already have some galvanized "accents" in the house, so I'm thinking of going all galvanized. I'm going to try snapping a section over the SecureVent, and see what it looks like. If I don't like it, I can paint them black before installing them. Thanks for steering me away from the disassembly path. I think I would have regretted it.