Stove Pipe Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajreid

Nov 16, 2010
il
Is it normal to open the stove door on reloads with a pretty strong draft and hear the sound of possibly creosote flakes falling down the stove pipe and hitting the ceramic fiber board? I can tap the single wall pipe and hear little. Earlier in the year I was burning some wood that was around 22%MC. I am into my good dry wood now oak at 14%MC. I'm not sure if I was choking the stove down too much earlier in the year. I did have a few nights of smoked doors on the NC-30 trying to learn the stove. Its been in operation a little over a month now.
Is it normal for the the pipe to do a little self cleaning?
I have about 6' of single wall pipe running into 9' class A through the roof.

Nope, I can't say that I've heard falling material in my stove pipe. But that's not to say I wouldn't.

What interests me most, here, is the change of diameter to your pipes! As far as "I" know (but what do "I" know), I figure my piping is Class 6, six inch Ø piping all the way up to the cap. Am I full of crap??????

-Soupy1957

ajreid said:
Is it normal to open the stove door on reloads with a pretty strong draft and hear the sound of possibly creosote flakes falling down the stove pipe and hitting the ceramic fiber board? I can tap the single wall pipe and hear little. Earlier in the year I was burning some wood that was around 22%MC. I am into my good dry wood now oak at 14%MC. I'm not sure if I was choking the stove down too much earlier in the year. I did have a few nights of smoked doors on the NC-30 trying to learn the stove. Its been in operation a little over a month now.
Is it normal for the the pipe to do a little self cleaning?
I have about 6' of single wall pipe running into 9' class A through the roof.
I knew a guy once that started a chimney fire by tapping on the stove pipe knocking creosote down, not good.

The stove pipe is 6"all the way to the cap. Mabe I had better not touch the pipe and get this thing cleaned.

ajreid, all new wood burners are advised to at least check their chimneys monthly their first 2 years of burning wood. If you can't do the cleaning, then perhaps it would be a good idea to at least have it inspected by a sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.