Stove pipe up the Chimney.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTRob

Jul 17, 2016
CT
Sorry if this has been asked before but how should I insulate around the pipe? I took out the fireplace damper to accommodate the stove pipe, but what should I use around it to keep the heat in?

Sorry if this has been asked before but how should I insulate around the pipe? I took out the fireplace damper to accommodate the stove pipe, but what should I use around it to keep the heat in?
Well you cant use stove pipe inside a chimney it needs to be a stainless liner. Please explain your install it sounds like there may be some pretty serious issues.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
I installed an Englander 30 free standing stove inside of a lower level fireplace. I used a stainless steel liner and like you had to remove the damper assembly to accommodate the liner. To insulate it I used wide metal pieces to hold up large sections of Roxul Safe n' Sound which has very high flame resistant ratings. I love in New England and didn't experience any draft coming down chimney.
Found the idea here.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/poor-mans-block-off-plate-installed.151142/#post-2033989

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Your liner should be insulated with a foil backed insulation minimum of 1/2 in thick. Foil tape the seams, wrap in stainless wire and install liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.