Stove Polishing - what I learned :-)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Well, I found painting a stove is really necessary when you have rust, exposed metal from scratches and scrapes. Also if the stove is a few years old and the paint is faded then a good paint job brings it back to a newer condition.

See this link for more info
Stove Painting - what I learned :)
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/83145/

Now to preserve a good paint job is something different.
Like a shinny new car, a good paint job can be protected.

A good coat of clear paint may certainly help.

However I am going with recommended black stove polish. I purchased the Imperial brand at Lowes but most brands made for stoves are good.

I have no problems spreading the polish with a rag and covering the stove with it. Even though buffing can also be done by hand, I picked up a Wen 7" polishing tool also referred to as an angle grinder with some buffing bonnets.

That really makes a big difference and makes it easy to crank out a good protective shine to protect the work of painting.

See pics

Attachments

• ImperialStovePolishsc.jpg
    ImperialStovePolishsc.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 708
  • 7inchPolisherSC.jpg
    7inchPolisherSC.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 739
Would love some before and after pics!

Looks great! But I was always under the impression that you either painted or polished a stove, never both? I had a black cast iron Earth Stove for many years, so I struggled with the choice between paint or polish. For me, polish was easier to apply and touch up as the years went by and the original paint wore away. I'm curious as to where you got the recommendation to apply the polish over paint.

76brian said:
Would love some before and after pics!

Hi Brian

It is very difficult to show the difference with pics. I can try.

With my eye I can see how the stove polish goes on but of course it is black on black.

The biggest difference is when I use the polisher and it creates the shine. You can try it. Home depot has some really good prices on the smaller 4 and 1/2 inch angle grinders. Then just get the polishing bonnet.

The Wen 943 7" polisher I use came from craigslist for $25.00 with 2 buffing bonnets.
It has 2 speeds, one is low speed at 1100rpm the other is hi speed at 1350rpm
The low speed can be used to spread the wax, but I just use the high speed for buffing.
One bonnet is lambs wool which does a great job!!

http://www.amazon.com/WEN-943-7-Inch-Sander/dp/B0006JJB0U/ref=pd_sxp_f_r

Some people recommend the Porter Cable random orbital polisher with proper pads to prevent swirls but buy just using it for buffing it comes out fine!

From the Manufacturer (See pic below)
The WEN 943 7-Inch Right Angle Sander/Polisher makes quick work of sanding wood, metal, fiberglass and body filler. It converts quickly to a polisher for polishing autos, boats and more. 2 speed, 2 position locking switch, 4 AMPS with no load speed up to 1350 RPM. Features built-in tool rest for convenient attachment of bonnets and sanding discs, spindle lock, hook and loop backing pad. Also has a 2 position auxiliary handle. Includes 7-Inch backing pad, lambs wool blend polishing bonnet, two sanding discs, spindle lock key and auxiliary handle.

Attachments

• Wen943-7inch.jpg
    Wen943-7inch.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 502
PA_Clinker said:
Looks great! But I was always under the impression that you either painted or polished a stove, never both? I had a black cast iron Earth Stove for many years, so I struggled with the choice between paint or polish. For me, polish was easier to apply and touch up as the years went by and the original paint wore away. I'm curious as to where you got the recommendation to apply the polish over paint.

Hi PA Clinker
Good question.

There is a special polish that is made to go over a bare metal stove. I just came across it the other day.
It is called Williams Stove Polish but contains no waxes.

Williams Stove Polish

For over 90 years, the original William's polish that leaves a lustrous black finish on unpainted steel & cast iron. Virtually odorless semi-paste, easy to apply and buff when dry. Restores the finish on unpainted wood stove, coal stoves, barbecues, hibachis, iron pots and kettles. Contains no waxes, smelly solvents or flammable materials.

Attachments

• WilliamsStovePolish.jpg
    WilliamsStovePolish.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 916
Don2222 said:
Hi Brian

It is very difficult to show the difference with pics. I can try.

With my eye I can see how the stove polish goes on but of course it is black on black.

The biggest difference is when I use the polisher and it creates the shine. You can try it. Home depot has some really good prices on the smaller 4 and 1/2 inch angle grinders. Then just get the polishing bonnet.

Thanks. I might give it a shot. One thing I'm not too happy about with my Harman is the quality of the paint finish. It's not one of the real fancy looking stoves, but it's in my main living area so I would like to keep it looking nice. It almost looks like they could have put on an extra coat or two but they cheaped out. On some of the corners the paint is quite thin, can almost see metal underneath, and the latch on the hopper cover has worn away the paint under it. Oh, there was also overspray on the window but a razor blade solved that. Must have been made late on a friday afternoon :lol:

I do have a 4.5" angle grinder but it's not variable speed, it runs at 9000 rpm or so, way too fast for polishing. I assume you can apply that stuff by hand with just a bit of elbow grease?

Hello PA_Clinker

The Imperial stove polish I use is water soluble so it does not harm the paint.

You are right that care must be taken not to use liquid polish or paste that will penetrate or dissolve the paint!

Also you cannot paint over stove polish!

smoke show said:
Don, you got it bad.

Glad I wasn't the only person to think so! Beyond help and absolutely no cure for this fella! jk Don, But man you are obsessed! ;-)

j-takeman said:
smoke show said:
Don, you got it bad.

Glad I wasn't the only person to think so! Beyond help and absolutely no cure for this fella! jk Don, But man you are obsessed! ;-)

Definitely makes me feel better about myself!!!

Ive got a problem. Will flat out admit it. But if I wanted to spend more time with stoves, than I already do (wood eater is time consuming/air control) I am pretty sure I would be in divorce court right now.

Don, good for you for what your doing. Im sure whoever buys these stoves, are getting a fantastic deal and the stove probably in better than new condition. You are a good man for doing so, and I applaud you for that. But if it were me, my Wife would have me on the street.

The Fahrenheit makes its debut on Sun morn (X-mas party Sat evening) and that will be the 4th Solid fuel device in my home (prefab fireplace also). One more and its living in the shop...... lol.
:wow:

DexterDay said:
j-takeman said:
smoke show said:
Don, you got it bad.

Ive got a problem. Will flat out admit it. But if I wanted to spend more time with stoves, than I already do (wood eater is time consuming/air control) I am pretty sure I would be in divorce court right now.

Don, good for you for what your doing. Im sure whoever buys these stoves, are getting a fantastic deal and the stove probably in better than new condition. You are a good man for doing so, and I applaud you for that. But if it were me, my Wife would have me on the street.

The Fahrenheit makes its debut on Sun morn (X-mas party Sat evening) and that will be the 4th Solid fuel device in my home (prefab fireplace also). One more and its living in the shop...... lol.

Thanks Dexter

What's up with the Fahrenheit? You did not sell it?

Don2222 said:
DexterDay said:
j-takeman said:
smoke show said:
Don, you got it bad.

Thanks Dexter

What's up with the Fahrenheit? You did not sell it?

No. I was going to install it last Spring when I bought it, bit then I found the Great Deal on the Englander 30-NC (3.5 cu ft Woodstove). After deciding to install the woodstove in the basement. I was going to sell/trade the Fahrenheit.

Being able to get wood for "Free" (After the purchase of Splitter, Chainsaws, Safety equipment, Truck, Trailer, Gas, and my time.. Is it really Free?) I figured it would be a viable heat source.
It does what its supposed to do, but I love the automation of pellet stoves. So the Fahrenheit os going to installed this weekend. I may not get it tied into the duct work this Sunday. But it will be operational. The Furnace will heat the bedrooms at night and the Quad will heat the main part of the house by day.

Our duct work, is kinda split, one half of the house is fed by one trunck, the other half, by another trunk. The Fahrenheit is going to be tied into the Trunk that supplies the 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and then there are 2 registers in the kitchen also. So it should do a good job with the heating duties.

Good luck with your side job Don.. It eont make you a millionaire, but if it makes you happy and puts a smile on your face, then to hell with what anyone says...

Status
Not open for further replies.