Stove recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

terra3

Nov 24, 2022
Alberta, CA
Hi there

Replacing an older free-standing gas stove that has a cracked glass and absolutely 'no' ID plate, tag . . . nothing . . . . so having to shell out $$s for this as a replacement.

I have been quoted on a Continental model (CDVS280) that I'm not familiar with the brand, although monitoring these brands isn't something I've done over the years. The older house I'm in has a brick chiminey with three, vertical clay flues inside of it that serve a gas stove apiece. Believe then that with an inside ID in the flue that serves the replacement of 6 inches that only the older style venting is possible and no direct vent as tearing out the older flue seems impossible save a major demo job.

Back to the Conti . . . Is this a reliable brand? Another sales person told me its the same factory as Napoleon with identifical models/builds at time but they just offer a shorter warranty. I find that to be difficult to believe that they sell it cheaper, with a shorter warranty for the same product as Napoleon.

Anyway, that is about all I understand at the moment.

Thanks in advance