Stove recommendations for small office shed with really tall ceiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Here

I understand this thing can go down to 4.5 kW, "making it suitable for small spaces", suggesting this is the output range on low.
4.5 kW is 15,300 BTU/hr.
Bingo... and you will notice I have said many times already that it is still probably too big for the space. Which is why I suggested the even smaller stoves.

Also why I mentioned the WoodStock stove...for the possibility of ordering it with soapstones inside ... for a heat sink to act like a masonry heater with small hot fires and let them go out. Still too big in my opinion.

Here is another option https://509stoves.com/ that I just came across this morning that might work for such a small space. Its cost is ridiculous and costs nearly as much as a large Blaze King stove. However, it is built like a freaking tank, would allow for long burns, is self feeding, but requires special fuel, and fits into a corner like a glove. Again, another option to consider. I did not look at this stoves output ratings. Geez...have to do that yourself. Already provided you with tons of info. Most of your leg work has been done for you.

I totally understand people keep mentioning the BK stoves. I understand how low they can be burned. I know what they are capable of. I’ve been considering one now for no less than 5 years and read their info many times as well as these forums. Low output of those stoves is not what concerns me. They would be fine, but they simply have too big of a footprint for such a small space. Not only that, but it takes a much hotter fire to get a load of wood going to be able to turn the stove down to low and I am really concerned that the start up of a BK is still too much heat...likely enough that until the wood is all ignites before engaging that CAT that you may end up opening windows and doors for the space provided. Maybe @BKVP can give a better indication if their stoves would work for a space if 240 sq ft space. My gut is that the user needs as much available floor space for living as possible not to be taken up by any particular stove.

Last edited:
Good morning OP! You and I are both Oregon residents. You've mentioned stoves you have seen on the secondary market a couple of times. So just to be on the informed side, Oregon requires all wood heaters to be EPA approved. While there are certainly many solid used EPA approved stoves out there, there are many more that are not.

You should also keep in mind that your homeowners insurance may require an inspection/permit (yes even outside of town).

There are some good suggestions here for wood stoves, so as to maintain good standing, I won't comment on our products.

Do look at KidCo gates to put around stoves to protect little kiddos. As a mfg., I hate stories that involve little ones getting to close to a wood stove.

Also, keep in mind the 25D Tax Credit. If you select a stove from the list of more than 40+ qualifying units, the credit applies to the stove, venting, labor, hearth pad, fresh air kit and....that gate to protect the little ones.

Lot's of good support here...take your time and keep up the research. Much easier to come to this site, get input BEFORE making a purchase! Good job!

Reactions: Hoytman
Bingo... and you will notice I have said many times already that it is still probably too big for the space. Which is why I suggested the even smaller stoves.

Also why I mentioned the WoodStock stove...for the possibility of ordering it with soapstones inside ... for a heat sink to act like a masonry heater with small hot fires and let them go out. Still too big in my opinion.

Here is another option https://509stoves.com/ that I just came across this morning that might work for such a small space. Its cost is ridiculous and costs nearly as much as a large Blaze King stove. However, it is built like a freaking tank, would allow for long burns, is self feeding, but requires special fuel, and fits into a corner like a glove. Again, another option to consider. I did not look at this stoves output ratings. Geez...have to do that yourself. Already provided you with tons of info. Most of your leg work has been done for you.

My point was that the BK can go down to a lower heat output than that...

Reactions: Hoytman
Here

I understand this thing can go down to 4.5 kW, "making it suitable for small spaces", suggesting this is the output range on low.
4.5 kW is 15,300 BTU/hr.
Aware of that and I’ve made it clear, I hope, that that much heat is likely still too much. I could be wrong.

Because of electrical sensitivities, we want only wood heat. No electrical.
I'm curious about the electrical sensitivity.

Does this mean no lights, tvs, computers, etc., like Chuck McGill? Or is it more an allergy to electric bills, and the "system".

I personally have the sensitivity to the utility bills, which is why we get 95% of our heat from the stove.

If the other one, I'd like to learn more about it.

I may be wrong too

If losing building floor space isn’t an issue, and provided @BKVP thinks one of their stoves will still work, then it’s a no brainer because any BK will proved a more useful larger cooking surface if and when ever needed. Might even be able to add some small soapstones on top of the stove top, but before doing so I would ask @BKVP about doing that.

Not only the above, but then you would also ge the use of the thermostat on back of the stoves and have super long burn times and little ash removal over many weeks time. Just make sure it isn’t too big of a stove for the space. That is what is most important.

@BKVP are you hearing all of this. Sounds to me like there’s a market for much smaller stoves for “tiny homes “ with long burn times. Get to work on that guys.

Last edited:
If losing building floor space isn’t an issue, and provided @BKVP thinks one of their stoves will still work, then it’s a no brainer because any BK will proved a more useful larger cooking surface if and when ever needed. Might even be able to add some small soapstones on top of the stove top, but before doing so I would ask @BKVP about doing that.

Not only the above, but then you would also ge the use of the thermostat on back of the stoves and have super long burn times and little ash removal over many weeks time. Just make sure it isn’t too big of a stove for the space. That is what is most important.

@BKVP are you hearing all of this. Sounds to me like there’s a market for much smaller stoves with long burn times. Get to work on that guys.

"Hey BKVP build a bigger stove". "Hey BKVP, build a smaller stove." I even have a dealer that wants us to reintroduce our old bake ovens from the 1970's!

First to this application, central Oregon can get pounded with snow! Routing of a F/A kit needs to be kept in mind, given size and tightness of this home. Second, too much stove here might result in the " open or crack the window". More and more focus is shifting towards indoor air quality. I'll be viewing a upcoming presentation on indoor air quality sponsored by the EPA. Wild fires in Oregon (and other states) can result in horrific air quality...indoors. Particulates indoors are concentrated and without ventilation, bad for everyone! Cracking a window is an invitation to create poor indoor air quality....unless vented properly. That is why stove placement in relation to opening windows is a factor for consideration.

There are plenty of our smaller units (20's) in yurts, tiny houses cabins etc. The Btu's are important, but you can't forget steel surface area which is the conduit to heat moving into the home. Too much surface area can be the culprit in overheating a small space. Too little, and you can't fit a pot of water or pan to cook food.

Lastly, I know for many, Oregon isn't that "cold" in winter. Although I'm not aware of the OP's exact location, I've spent some subzero nights in the region...packing out elk. Screenshot_20210303-061440_Chrome.jpg

Here is a good video below that would work for any small or tiny stove. The stove below is similar to the Morso Squirrel with some differences, the biggest being the Squirrel is made of cast iron and will hold some heat. The stove below is a steel stove.

In any wood stove you end up choosing, you will find that the top down method of burning, as in the example video above, will be your friend for the small space you have once you learn how much wood to load in the firebox.

Last edited:
Reactions: MR. GLO
I'm curious about the electrical sensitivity.

Does this mean no lights, tvs, computers, etc., like Chuck McGill? Or is it more an allergy to electric bills, and the "system".

I personally have the sensitivity to the utility bills, which is why we get 95% of our heat from the stove.

If the other one, I'd like to learn more about it.

The bills!! lol

Actually, we have to turn off our electricity at night because our oldest daughter (she's 20!) is sensitive to what electricity does to her body if it's on 24 hours per day. Actually, this is why we're building this office. She can't stay inside our house and bedroom office much because our house electric system is wired poorly and affects her body quite negatively (issues that feel like chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, anxiety, obsession, panic attacks, etc.). What's so wild is that she feels WAY better if she sleeps outside and spends most of her days outside our electrical fields. So we're building this little office space carefully with her needs in mind.

So we WILL be turning off the electricity in the office space at night for the entire building.

@BKVP Thanks for the input! We lived in the Walla Walla area for a solid 9 years before migrating to the wilds of Central Oregon! :) Much prefer it down here as we got tired of the limited outdoor recreation options up there :)

The bills!! lol

Actually, we have to turn off our electricity at night because our oldest daughter (she's 20!) is sensitive to what electricity does to her body if it's on 24 hours per day. Actually, this is why we're building this office. She can't stay inside our house and bedroom office much because our house electric system is wired poorly and affects her body quite negatively (issues that feel like chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, anxiety, obsession, panic attacks, etc.). What's so wild is that she feels WAY better if she sleeps outside and spends most of her days outside our electrical fields. So we're building this little office space carefully with her needs in mind.

So we WILL be turning off the electricity in the office space at night for the entire building.

By setting up a deep cycle 12v battery and circuits, some basic utilities could be run or kept available at night - incandescent light, laptop, shielded brushless motor fan. Could charge when she is not in the cabin. DC does not give off EMI.

Reactions: smitten
The bills!! lol

So, exactly like Chuck McGill.

Is this a recognized disability, by health insurance companies, government, etc.?

I hope your daughter has opportunities and the interest in jobs that will allow her distance from the grid.

I've often thought about becoming a goat and sheep shepherd myself, but one must be prepared for a pretty lonely existence if that route is taken.