Stove shutdown

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbmoffat

Feb 6, 2011
north east pa
Whitfield Advantage====will run for hours and just shut down. Control panel is dead, but if I unplug and plug stove back in it will start again (and run for hours) before it does it again. Have ordered new low temp sensor and have "bypassed" old one. Still the stove shuts down. Did major clean and have check the obvious. Flame and burn great.

jbmo said:
Whitfield Advantage====will run for hours and just shut down. Control panel is dead, but if I unplug and plug stove back in it will start again (and run for hours) before it does it again. Have ordered new low temp sensor and have "bypassed" old one. Still the stove shuts down. Did major clean and have check the obvious. Flame and burn great.

Vacuum switch or the hi limit system are the two places I'd be looking at.

If it is the high limit system you also should check your convection blower.

If it is the vacuum switch that is kicking it off you should also check your combustion blower, the tube running from the stove to the vacuum switch and all barbs the tube attaches to, then clean the the entire system (stove and venting).

ETA: You also might want to check the connectors (stove off cold and unplugged) on all of the wiring.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

The probable cause is the latching relay on the control board. When you unplug and plug it back in, this resets the relay.

The latching relay is in there to prevent the stove from restarting after a power outage of about 1.5 seconds or longer.

This stuff can wear out.

"Normally" if the high limit switch or the pressure switch is the cause, you will not have to unplug and replug to get the stove running again.

Something is causing the latching relay to open.

Make sure your power cord prongs fit well in the outlet and that the connections inside the stove are good as previously mentioned.

The cause may be the board itself, depends on where that relay is located.
Whitfield used a couple different setups for the "latching relay"

The low limit switch, high limit switch and the pressurer switch can fail and you will not have to unplug/replug to restart.

What model and serial number on the Whitfield ??

Snowy

thank you for your reply. The stove is a Whitfield Advantage. Serial number is 55319. Check my service records, the control board was replaced in 2001. Where is the latching relay? Is it in the control board? Thank you for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.