Stove sizing pre/post remodel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jparker

Oct 17, 2019
PNW
We will be remodeling our house this spring but want to install a standing wood stove for supplemental/emergency heat this winter. There is already a Class A in place and the room in question is ~400sq ft with an eight foot opening to a hallway. After the remodel, the stove will either be centrally located in a 2000 sq ft downstairs (open concept) with a 1000 sq ft 2nd floor or possibly moved out to a 1600 sq ft workshop. Even after the remodel, the goal of the stove will be for enjoyment and to somewhat lower our heating bill. No 24/7 and this is in the PNW.

Should I purchase a stove that matches the post-remodel square footage and just hope it doesn't roast us out of the room this winter? Or should I purchase a small stove now and a larger one post-remodel?

I am new to wood stoves so I am not sure how small of a fire one can have in a larger wood stove without leading to chimney issues.

Any feedback is appreciated.

The question is - how well will heat convect out of the current 400 sq ft so that the room doesn't overheat? We need to know a bit more about the layout. What does the hallway connect with? Can you do a quick sketch of the floorplan and post it here?

There’s a lot to be said for having something now, to learn about your needs, before you buy your “forever” stove. So, while it may sound expensive to buy and resell a stove for just a single year, it wouldn’t be all for naught. You will learn a lot about what you want to get out of a stove, after a year of burning one in your house.

From the original post, math puts you at 3k sq ft. Even with tight construction, normal insulation levels and 8ft ceilings that's a lot of volume to heat. I would go with a BK king. You can throttle it down and the big fire box means less reloading.

Right now I am thinking about the BK Ashford 20.2 if it fits my hearth. I would then move it out to my workshop/office this summer and buy something new for the house after the remodel that is better sized to provide supplemental heat.

Reactions: kennyp2339
Right now I am thinking about the BK Ashford 20.2 if it fits my hearth. I would then move it out to my workshop/office this summer and buy something new for the house after the remodel that is better sized to provide supplemental heat.
Nothing against the Ashford 20, but do note that the Ashford 30 is spec’d to an even wider range of outputs, with a much larger fuel tank. It can be turned down even lower than the Ashford 20, at least by the older x.1 spec’s (I have to admit I haven’t checked the x.2 spec’s yet).

The Ashford 30 also has tighter clearances, meaning it can be placed closer to the wall, and ultimately doesn’t take up any more space in your room.

While the rear clearance is 1/2" less than the Ashford 20, the 2 1/8" increase in depth makes is too big for my current hearth.