Q&A Stove smokes when catalytic is engaged

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Last year I purchased a new extra large Dutch West free standing catalyst wood burning stove. I have the approved stainless steel liner which produces sufficient draft,this I have confirmed with a simple wooden match check. The stove works well without the use of the catalyst but smokes on the door side when the catalyst is engaged. The seal has been checked, the wood is well seasoned ,dry and split fine. Do you know what the problem may be and how to address it.

Answer:

ave you blown the dust out of the catalytic converter? It's possible that this can close off some of the draft up the chimney. For whatever reason, there is not enough draft being produced once the catalyst is engaged. The wooden match does not prove the strength of the draft, only that a draft is there.

Also, make certain that the catalyst is not plugged up with fly ash....although it does not sound as if you used the stove for long enough for this to happen.

The chimney should be 18 feet or more tall from the stove outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.