Stove temps and creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
I'm about 1 hour into my first insert fire ever. Is a small Avalon with 21' of insulated flex liner. What should I expect to see for stove top temps. I'm around the 300 to 350 mark and it's not really going up. I used a laser temp thing and if I shoot the exposed flex close to the stove it says 350 so its close to the stove top. I'm afraid at these temps I'm make creosote in my flue. Where should i be and how do i fix it. Thank you

If you are reading 350 on the flex the actual flue gas temp could be double that which is a bit hot. Ideally you want to see the stove top up around 500º or so, and a cooler liner temp, but maybe not a lot cooler if you are reading just a few inches above the flue collar.

How far closed is the air control?

If you are reading 350 on the flex the actual flue gas temp could be double that which is a bit hot. Ideally you want to see the stove top up around 500º or so, and a cooler liner temp, but maybe not a lot cooler if you are reading just a few inches above the flue collar.

How far closed is the air control?

That's on the liner just above the applince connector as close to the sove I could get . Air is about a 1/4 to 3/8 open

This is before I just turned it down a tiny bit. I also have the blower on about half speed

Attachments

• 20191213_200840.jpg
    20191213_200840.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 256
That's on the liner just above the applince connector as close to the sove I could get . Air is about a 1/4 to 3/8 open
Close it the rest of the way

Ok I have I cracked just a tiny bit dose this look better stove top is 400 or so. Thank you once again sorry for all the dumb questions
Yes much better

So how do I get higher stove temps she's just cozy or should I turn it up. I just scared I'm making a chimney full of creosote

Attachments

• 20191213_204703.jpg
    20191213_204703.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 218
So how do I get higher stove temps she's just cozy or should I turn it up. I just scared I'm making a chimney full of creosote
What is the stack temp at? That looks like it is burning good for a small load.

Also where you are measuring the stove top temp is it the actual top of the firebox?

Turn off the blower if you want a hotter stovetop. That cools down the stovetop as air blows across it. On our stove, it drops about 100º.

But so far you are doing fine and shouldn't be creating a lot of creosote.

Wouldn't looking at the chimney for smoke be the best indicator of creosote production at various stages of the fire?

Wouldn't looking at the chimney for smoke be the best indicator of creosote production at various stages of the fire?
That works during the day. But it's a pain. It is much easier and just effective to check the stack temp

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Your doing fine. My BK princess insert will reach up to about 700 deg on the exposed part if run on high and no blower. All temps using laser gauge. I typically cut it back when the top is around 530 deg (3/4 load of mixed soft/hard wood). If I turn the fan on the insert top temp drops just about 100 deg as @begreen said above. I typically run the unit on med fan with the top around 300 deg.

Remember your forced hot air furnace delivers about 125 deg air throughout the house which feels pretty good. If you are pulling off 300 deg air from the insert, that is much better. Major difference is in moving the air around the house. Still a 300 top with the fan on is normal for me and gets me a 10 hour burn.

Never a bad question, hang around and ask more, eventually you will be answering them for the new posters. Enjoy the warmth

That works during the day. But it's a pain. It is much easier and just effective to check the stack temp

Might be a bit of a pain but I think I would be doing maybe quite a bit of it if I was just starting out with a new stove setup. Smoke out the top is a pretty easy sign to see. Then once you get a handle on things, you can reduce the amount of things you keep a close eye on. And hardly ever look up after that.

On the out side of the liner just after the applince connector what kind temps should I be looking for
250 minimum. That close to the stove 300 probably isn't bad