Stove temps and creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The concern about running the liner too hot over an extended period of time is that it weakens the metal. A short burst of 1000º is ok, but an hour at say 1200º (like if someone forgot to close the air down and walked away from the stove) is not ok.

Could that cause a chimney fire being to high on flue temps

hot burn is good less cresote and smoke
We are talking about a modern clean burn stove here. It doesn't have to be run all that hot. Just correctly

Could that cause a chimney fire being to high on flue temps
If there was an excess accumulation of creosote in the liner, then it could trigger a chimney fire, but the accumulation is more the cause. Actually a short run of higher flue temperature can help keep creosote from building up. Some folks do this daily. The best way to avoid a chimney fire is to burn dry wood properly.

Reactions: bholler
I did it again today reloaded got it to where I thought I was good went to the garage for 10 mins came inside and it was an inferno the flex was reading 550 again I'm afraid I'm going to burn my house down
We're going through the same learning curve with the secondary-burn stove I got for my SIL. I'm finding that how soon, and how much you cut the air on a new load is critical. Get too much wood gassing, and the secondary is gonna go a little nuts for a while. You'll get the hang of it, and get better at judging your start-up fires, as you gain experience.

How close to 250 can I let it hover. On a nice low burn it seems to like to hang around 260- 270 is that to low. Thank you
Your flue gases will be higher than the reading on the outside of the pipe.

Might be a bit of a pain but I think I would be doing maybe quite a bit of it if I was just starting out with a new stove setup. Smoke out the top is a pretty easy sign to see. Then once you get a handle on things, you can reduce the amount of things you keep a close eye on. And hardly ever look up after that.
You are doing fine and your education is progressing well. Soon you will be advising folks herein....;)
We're going through the same learning curve with the secondary-burn stove I got for my SIL. I'm finding that how soon, and how much you cut the air on a new load is critical. Get too much wood gassing, and the secondary is gonna go a little nuts for a while. You'll get the hang of it, and get better at judging your start-up fires, as you gain experience.

I'm in the same boat as the OP with my new PE insert. I've had years of experience running older stoves, where hotter is better. Now I have to learn how to burn in a modern stove. I've got my IR thermometer right on the mantle, and I've been checking the temps at various stages of the burn. I've gotten it a bit hot, and a bit too cold, but I'll get the hang of it. Learning something new is fun.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I thought modern stoves were designed to stop people from running too low? Some 2020 stoves dont even have an air control.

I thought modern stoves were designed to stop people from running too low? Some 2020 stoves dont even have an air control.
Yeah, on Douglas Fir crib wood, but in the real world we are dealing with a lot more variables.