Stove temps and creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thank you is that measurement more important than stove top
Absolutely. That is why on many insert installs we put on a remote thermometer to monitor flue temps

Absolutely. That is why on many insert installs we put on a remote thermometer to monitor flue temps

Sorry to keep bugging you what's to high of a temp at that point and can you recommend a decent remote thermometer. I have the top trim off now so I can check it but a remote one sounds like a great idea. And thank you very much for all your help

Sorry to keep bugging you what's to high of a temp at that point and can you recommend a decent remote thermometer. I have the top trim off now so I can check it but a remote one sounds like a great idea. And thank you very much for all your help
That close to the top I would say 500 is probably the highest you would want. Auber instruments makes good ones

That close to the top I would say 500 is probably the highest you would want. Auber instruments makes good ones

Ok thank you . I figured the closest I could get to the stove for a temp the better off I would be and the section I check is about 3 inches off the back of the insert

Ok thank you . I figured the closest I could get to the stove for a temp the better off I would be and the section I check is about 3 inches off the back of the insert
18" off the top is the standard spot to measure pipe temp

If you really want to check temperatures for creosote accumulation, you'd need to go up on the roof and measure the inside of the flue at the top.

A more practical way to get this information is to sweep the flue very frequently at first. If you're not getting any crud out of the flue after a month, your current wood and methods are fine. If creosote is accumulating, you should change something (or at least continue to sweep frequently).

If you really want to check temperatures for creosote accumulation, you'd need to go up on the roof and measure the inside of the flue at the top.

A more practical way to get this information is to sweep the flue very frequently at first. If you're not getting any crud out of the flue after a month, your current wood and methods are fine. If creosote is accumulating, you should change something (or at least continue to sweep frequently).
No you don't have to measure temps on the roof. Running at the surface temps I told him will work just fine with his insulated liner.

Just checked I'm around 200 -220 top of flue through the rain cap stove top is 350 with blower on liner is 300nat back of stove

I would less try to answer the question "could any creosote possibly accumulate in my flue?" and more try to answer the question "how often should I sweep?".

For me, I choose to trade frequent sweeping for the freedom to run the stove very low for long periods. Some people will be happier or better off keeping their accumulation near zero.

There is no sweepless wood stove chimney. Get used to the fact.

Reactions: blacktail
No you don't have to measure temps on the roof. Running at the surface temps I told him will work just fine with his insulated liner.

Once again sorry to keep bugging you. I check the roof cause inwas bored. It's around 200 215. If the flue temp by the stove gets low how do I get it back up. Thank you

Once again sorry to keep bugging you. I check the roof cause inwas bored. It's around 200 215. If the flue temp by the stove gets low how do I get it back up. Thank you
Did you measure the temp with a fresh load of wood burning or was the fire already at the coaling stage? If the latter then don't worry about it.

Did you measure the temp with a fresh load of wood burning or was the fire already at the coaling stage? If the latter then don't worry about it.

It was close to the coaling stage I think. Not sure what point is considered the coaling stage but there was one chunk of a split left and mostly coal's

Th
It was close to the coaling stage I think. Not sure what point is considered the coaling stage but there was one chunk of a split left and mostly coal's
This is coaling. There is nothing left to create creosote.
Stove temps and creosote

Reactions: Ludlow
Wouldn't looking at the chimney for smoke be the best indicator of creosote production at various stages of the fire?
That works during the day. But it's a pain. It is much easier and just effective to check the stack temp
Might be a bit of a pain but I think I would be doing maybe quite a bit of it if I was just starting out with a new stove setup.
Yeah, you can also go outside and get on the leeward side of the house, and if the exhaust is getting blown down to you, you'll be able to smell smoke if you're not burning clean, even at night.
I haven't run my SIL's new stove enough yet to be comfortable going by just flue or stove temps. But once the stove top gets to a certain point, it's much more likely I'm burning clean. If I cut too much air at any point, though, it will kill the secondary and the smoke comes back. I have noticed that when this happens, flue temp drops..less heat exiting the stove I guess. So I imagine flue temp should indicate the state of the re-burn once I know what temps to look for at various stages of the burn.

Ok it was at the coaling stage and I did see smoke. What dose smoke mean? Thanknyou all for your help I'm very new but trying to learn

If the wood is no longer flaming and no smoke is coming out of the chimney then it is at the coaling stage. There is no risk of creosote accumulating then, even with a cooler flue temp because the volatiles have all been burned off.

If the wood is no longer flaming and no smoke is coming out of the chimney then it is at the coaling stage. There is no risk of creosote accumulating then, even with a cooler flue temp because the volatiles have all been burned off.

When should there be smoke from the chimney? I just checked and this is a little coming out and it was about mid burn with good temps on everything

When should there be smoke from the chimney? I just checked and this is a little coming out and it was about mid burn with good temps on everything
Smoke only at startup. Are you sure it was smoke and not steam?

Cars puke out straight exhaust when you start them. Until the cat hits temp.

Reactions: blacktail
Ok it was at the coaling stage and I did see smoke. What dose smoke mean?
Even though the surface of the split was all coals, there could have been unburned wood inside, so that may still smoke. Wasn't all coals yet.
Steam has a different look..lighter in color, and more wispy in appearance. Smoke "looks heavier." Like I said, if the exhaust blows down to where you can smell it, you'll smell smoke if it's there.

Wouldn't looking at the chimney for smoke be the best indicator of creosote production at various stages of the fire?
That works during the day. But it's a pain. It is much easier and just effective to check the stack temp

Yes, it was a pain and I think I drove family members nuts, but I took advantage of cold dry weather days over Thanksgiving vacation to do some daytime burns to get a feel of what I see on the flue probe compared to what I see out of the chimney at various stages of the fire. It seemed a good way to learn about the stove for my first season using it. Today, however, is cold and rainy - I was more than willing to just watch the flue probe temps.

(And I did even do some spot lighting of the chimney during the evenings, but yep, that was even more of a pain.)