Stove temps and creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes, it was a pain and I think I drove family members nuts, but I took advantage of cold dry weather over Thanksgiving vacation to do some daytime burns over those days to get a feel of what I see on the flue probe compared to what I see out of the chimney at various stages of the fire. A seemed a good way to learn about my first year burning this new stove. Today, however, is cold and rainy - I was more than willing to just watch the flue probe temps.

(And I did even do some spot lighting of the chimney during the evenings, but yep, that was even more of a pain.)
Lol

Ok I have burned twice now the first night I turned the air down and all was fine. Last night I put a few more splits on and watched the fire for a while, reset the air and went to bed but this morning the glass it all brown with soot. What did I do wrong

Ok I have burned twice now the first night I turned the air down and all was fine. Last night I put a few more splits on and watched the fire for a while reset the air and went to be but this morning the glass it all brown with soot. What did I do wrong
Different stove setting? Reduced?
Different fuel supply? Possibly wetter?
Calm still wind less night with reduced effective draft?
Many potentials. It's a moving target to a extent! Enjoy....

You are fine. Soot and ash on the door after a longer burn is normal, if not the expected result. As the firebox temperature decreases there is less draft and the emissions from the coals (which are heavier than air) tend to recirculate in the chamber. Since the glass will be a bit cooler than the rear of the box, they will settle there (simple thermodynamics). Do not worry or bother to clean unless you want to look into the stove at clear glass. They will likely disappear on the next startup when the fire is hot and strong draft is re-established.

You are doing fine and your education is progressing well. Soon you will be advising folks herein....;)

Different stove setting? Reduced?
Different fuel supply? Possibly wetter?
Calm still wind less night with reduced effective draft?
Many potentials. It's a moving target to a extent! Enjoy....
I
That close to the top I would say 500 is probably the highest you would want. Auber instruments makes good ones

What the lowest I should worry about in the same location

I

What the lowest I should worry about in the same location
250 is the absolute lowest you would want there. And that may be to low. 250 is about right 18" off the stove

How thick were your splits on that overnight burn? Maybe slightly thinner splits would reduce browning of your glass. I am not talking too thin now. It helps.

One more dumb question. Dose that hold true during coaling or just a good burn
Once it is in the coaling stage stack temp doesn't matter. You will not make creosote. And yes opening the air on coals will still increase temps

Once it is in the coaling stage stack temp doesn't matter. You will not make creosote. And yes opening the air on coals will still increase temps

Thank you once again. I'm sure I'll have a bunch more questions but thank.you for all your help

So how do I get higher stove temps she's just cozy or should I turn it up. I just scared I'm making a chimney full of creosote
if you burn hard woods let the wood season for 1 year
and keep the fire real blazing hot you should not have to much cresote in the chimney

if you burn hard woods let the wood season for 1 year
and keep the fire real blazing hot you should not have to much cresote in the chimney
Not true at all. For most people 1 year is not enough time to get hardwood below 20%. New burners really need to use a moisture meter to know if their wood is ready. With modern stoves you also don't need to keep the stove blazing hot. You just need to know how to run them properly.

That close to the top I would say 500 is probably the highest you would want. Auber instruments makes good ones

Sorry to bug you but what happens when I pass that temp. I had a fire today and some company came over. The stove got a little warm and my liner was reading 550 -600 in my normal measuring spot. Thank you

If the thought is that the flue gas temp is 2x then I would agree, but that somewhat contradicts the prior statement.

250 is the absolute lowest you would want there. And that may be to low. 250 is about right 18" off the stove
This is an IR reading on flex, just above the collar. Is that correct? If so, a lower temp of 200 would be ok.

If the thought is that the flue gas temp is 2x then I would agree, but that somewhat contradicts the prior statement.

This is an IR reading on flex, just above the collar. Is that correct? If so, a lower temp of 200 would be ok.

Yes just above the collar

I was told the hotter the better

I would say the hotter the better for a short period on every reload.

I would say the hotter the better for a short period on every reload.
Not really. It should be the right temp. Not to hot

Not really. It should be the right temp. Not to hot

I did it again today reloaded got it to where I thought I was good went to the garage for 10 mins came inside and it was an inferno the flex was reading 550 again I'm afraid I'm going to burn my house down

I did it again today reloaded got it to where I thought I was good went to the garage for 10 mins came inside and it was an inferno the flex was reading 550 again I'm afraid I'm going to burn my house down
No. 550 is a bit to hot. But nothing to get to worried about

The concern about running the liner too hot over an extended period of time is that it weakens the metal. A short burst of 1000º is ok, but an hour at say 1200º (like if someone forgot to close the air down and walked away from the stove) is not ok.

Reactions: bholler
The concern about running the liner too hot over an extended period of time is that it weakens the metal. A short burst of 1000º is ok, but an hour at say 1200º (like if someone forgot to close the air down and walked away from the stove) is not ok.
It was 550 dancing around 600 for maybe 5-10 minutes but it happened twice.