Stove temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bigger_Al

Feb 11, 2018
NW Arkansas
For those in a recent post who are wondering about manufacturer info on stove temps. Just saw this today posted by Drolet. 900 makes me a little nervous though. I shut down around 600 myself on my stove.
f9ca5affcfff342b312be45ca3d26a0b.jpg

Drolet Escape 1800 into Duravent DVL stovepipe and DuraPlus chimney

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: blacktail
For those in a recent post who are wondering about manufacturer info on stove temps. Just saw this today posted by Drolet. 900 makes me a little nervous though. I shut down around 600 myself on my stove. View attachment 233395

Yikes. I dont own a drolet, but I that seems awfully hot to run a stove! Do you think they mean 900F as measured by magnetic stove thermometer?

That makes sense in terms of flue probe temps, but not in terms of stovetops.

No stove manufacturer would recommend running their stove at 900° stovetop.

Carbon steel's forging temp is in the neighborhood of 2200°F. At 900 stovetop, you are definitely experiencing an overfire, and it's possible that some parts of the firebox are approaching forging temperatures. Thin steel that gets that hot will sag, warp, and maybe even weld.

You want to keep your flue hot enough that the top walls of the flue stay above 250°F, especially while the wood is offgassing.

400° flue gas temperature is actually a little bit low for that, as the flue itself will be cooler than the gas, and the top of the stack is cooler than the bottom.

Last edited:
I found it funny that on the Vermont Castings website FAQ they have a section that talks about how important it is to have a thermometer but nowhere do they describe what temperatures are appropriate.

I asked Drolet to clarify stove top or flue temps. Waiting their reply.

Right on. I would really have to let things get pretty crazy to get my stove up to 900 and keep it there. Sounds catastrophic.

650 is the highest I like to let mine go and it is throwing off a ton of heat at that point.

That makes sense in terms of flue probe temps, but not in terms of stovetops.

No stove manufacturer would recommend running their stove at 900° stovetop.
Yes, that was my impression too. Would like to see the source article for this info.

Edit: Facebook editor needs some schooling