Stove Top Temperature Ranges

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MetMan

Sep 1, 2010
Western New York
Hi all,

My son is going to design and build a digital thermometer for my Hampton HI300 and I was wondering what a good set of ranges would be for ideal, less tan ideal, and too hot would be? I am planning to place it on the center front of the fire box and run the readout up to the face plate. I'd like him to display temperature a well as an LeD indicator of the current range--blue, too cold; green, just right; red, too hot.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or recommendations.

I have built several digital thermometers for my stoves, both my Fisher and Regency have temp monitor/alarms for stove top temp and flue temp.
Here is some pics and links, one was featured in Design news, "Gadget freak"

http://www.designnews.com/video.asp?section_id=1363&doc_id=208674

I would not bother with LED's, What I think would be much more useful would be an audible alarm for high temp indication. As for ranges what you really care about is the upper over-fire temp, on my Regency I like to keep the temp under 700 °F. The alarm will go off at 670 °F and will automatically turn the blower on high speed, this will usually cool things down fairly quickly.

You can also have a alarm for lo temp, this can alert you that you have to put in some more wood.
Mine has this feature but I don't use it.

Looks like you have an insert, sometimes an insert is harder to get a good temp reading on, as the majority of the stove is in the fireplace.

Attachments

• temp alamr1.jpg
    temp alamr1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 493
  • temp mon1.jpg
    temp mon1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 477
Reactions: jaredwolff
Thanks for the replies. The temp sensor is going to go on top of the firebox, although it will have air flowing over it when the fan is on. i'll post a report wen we ave a prototype to work with.

My question is with selecting one of those units. If I was measuring flue temps what is the highest I need to measure?

My stove top controller reads up to 999 °F and the flue temp controller reads up to 2400 °F.
You do want to make sure the thermocouple is rated for high temp as well.
I would say 1500 °F would be high enough for flue temp.
I think it is best to keep flue temp under 1000 °F , that's what they are rated for ( continuous use).

As per Wes's comments, I feel that 1000 F would be enough for the stove top. If you get higher than that (even 1000F), my nerve endings would blink.

A

Yeah a thousand degrees stove top gets your attention. Don't ask me how I knew that one night last year.

Swedishchef said:
BB: sweet jebus. 1000 is high. Mine often his 750 or 800 and cruises around those temps.

Andrew

I'm the guy that says hold a steel stove to 600 normally, 700 maybe at reload. Stuff happens. And no I didn't "get distracted" like we see here over and over. I was standing right there when it happened.

Ya take a deep breath and ride it out. Anything else you do is just gonna make it worse. Well, except if secondary combustion is the main culprit then you open the door wide and break the vacuum that is pulling that air through those tubes. And let a heck of a lot of cool air into the game.

mhrischuk said:
My question is with selecting one of those units. If I was measuring flue temps what is the highest I need to measure?

Agreed, 1000 °F for a stove top is cause for concern. :ahhh:

Just to be clear, the question was how hot for flue temp. Up to about 1000 °F is OK for a flue.

The subject of the thread he dug up is stove top temps.

Just to throw this out there, on our diesel trucks some of us have installed two thermocouples switched to one gauge. We want to see pre and post turbo temps in some cases. A simple toggle switch can allow you to switch from stove top to flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.