Stove top temperatures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Moranaj

Oct 19, 2018
PA
What do you guys consider the ideal temperature for a cast iron stove top? Its been getting to about 650 with the air all the way down and just secondaries burning. Is this normal, too hot, too cold? What temperature should I be worried that im damaging the stove? The manufacturer of course just says dont overfire it but gives you mo guidelines as to what they consider "over fire"

I depends on the stove, how hard you can run it. I was heating a cold house and running the stove 650 degrees for hours. A lot of expanding metal banging noises. Can't be the best thing, so now I don't do it. Normally I don't run higher than 500.

Reactions: Moranaj
What do you guys consider the ideal temperature for a cast iron stove top? Its been getting to about 650 with the air all the way down and just secondaries burning. Is this normal, too hot, too cold? What temperature should I be worried that im damaging the stove? The manufacturer of course just says dont overfire it but gives you mo guidelines as to what they consider "over fire"
Depends on the stove. If your air is already all the way down theres not much you can do to lower it as long as your not leaking excess air into the stove from anywhere. Other than run an external fan blowing across the stove.

For a lively discussion on stove top temps:

650 on a non-convective stovetop is quite normal, but the Manchester's has a convective stovetop. Are you measuring the actual stove top temperature (through the holes) or the lacey top temps?

650 on a non-convective stovetop is quite normal, but the Manchester's has a convective stovetop. Are you measuring the actual stove top temperature (through the holes) or the lacey top temps?
Wow I disappeared for a while but yes I am measuring that temperature through the holes with an infrared thermometer. Being that I am measuring this way, 650 sounds normal?

Yes, if you are reading directly off the stovetop, that is a normal temperature.