Stove top thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all I was looking at this stove top thermometer. It's made by rutland. Are they anygood? The temps seem off from some of the post on here. It says 600 is over fire but have read that's were you want to be.

There are better ones on the market. Take a look at the Condar Inferno.

There are better ones on the market. Take a look at the Condar Inferno.

Thank you just Ordered it. Are those temps pretty good standards to go by? I just finished my install and have not lit it yet. And I am new to wood heat

For the stovetop the ranges are ok, though many stoves are fine to take up to 700º on the stovetop. For an insert the reading is going to be a bit different if the thermometer is on the stove face. It will probably read lower, so those ranges could be a good guide.

Last edited:
I have two stovepipe gauges and the Rutland is the most accurate at 10 degrees under my IR reading. The other brand is a full 100 degrees below my IR. Yea.....wow.