Stove upgrade time! I'm mildly excited..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That's a good-looking stove and installation. Enjoy the heat.

Have you tried closing down the air a bit sooner to lower the initial cat temp spike?
The stove is working great but the cat temp keeps spiking. Nothing in the manual says anything about controlling cat temp.

For instance, it spiked at initial startup... and now nearly 5 hours later, its up off the scale again. No active flames in the box.. air all the way down... no smoke... but the needle on the gauge is 1/4-1/2" passed the active zone on the gauge. Doesn't seem to be doing anything odd and doesn't seem to be getting any extra air (considering its just a low glow in the box with occasional secondary burn). Flue temp is ~500F.

Is this normal? Is it just the new cat breaking in? When it gets too hot, should I bypass it and let it cool down?

Oh its there... just not in the pictures. Lol
Loves me a Cummins.
Those 4bts are great economical and efficient engine swaps. Easy to do and so much space in the engine compartment. So easy to put in almost anything.

I'm sure I'm not telling you something you don't already know. LOL

Reactions: Mr4btTahoe
The stove is working great but the cat temp keeps spiking. Nothing in the manual says anything about controlling cat temp.

For instance, it spiked at initial startup... and now nearly 5 hours later, its up off the scale again. No active flames in the box.. air all the way down... no smoke... but the needle on the gauge is 1/4-1/2" passed the active zone on the gauge. Doesn't seem to be doing anything odd and doesn't seem to be getting any extra air (considering its just a low glow in the box with occasional secondary burn). Flue temp is ~500F.

Is this normal? Is it just the new cat breaking in? When it gets too hot, should I bypass it and let it cool down?
As noted, new cats are particularly active. It should settle down in a week or so of burning.

12hrs in... stove wasn't packed full as the box is deeper and wider than my cuts will fill. So call it 3/4 full.

Stove is still putting out substantial heat and likely will be for several hours yet. I'd say it'll still have a nice coal bed by the 16-17hr mark. I'll reload it before bed though.

20220212_203031.jpg 20220212_203048.jpg 20220212_203052.jpg

Last update on this post... I'll make a review post here in a few weeks.

This is the results of a mostly full load.

24 hours after loading... stove top over 300F, cat still active.. and massive coal bed (after raked out). Stove still pumping out good heat. I'd say 30 hours of heat is very possible.

Our house is just over 2200sq.. stove room stayed between 75-80. Rest of the house stayed 70 as long as doors were open between rooms. Outside temp was in the teens.

I'm hooked for sure. Also a picture of a full load and then some.

20220213_203615.jpg 20220213_203635.jpg 20220213_211833.jpg 20220213_204057.jpg

Last update on this post... I'll make a review post here in a few weeks.

This is the results of a mostly full load.

24 hours after loading... stove top over 300F, cat still active.. and massive coal bed (after raked out). Stove still pumping out good heat. I'd say 30 hours of heat is very possible.

Our house is just over 2200sq.. stove room stayed between 75-80. Rest of the house stayed 70 as long as doors were open between rooms. Outside temp was in the teens.

I'm hooked for sure. Also a picture of a full load and then some.

View attachment 292131 View attachment 292132 View attachment 292133 View attachment 292134
Great looking stove! Congrats!