Stove venting question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jp57

Apr 4, 2011
Moore Twsp., Pa
We did some remodeling on the room our pellet stove is in and built a new hearth pad. We also turned the stove to face a differ direction. Now the existing vent pipe doesn't line up with the exhaust on the stove. Stove was angled and now is parallel with the wall the vent is on. The high difference isn't a big deal, just not sure how to get bend/turn to meet the pipe since it doesn't line up.

Yeah...I could move the stove to make it line up, but then it wouldn't be centered on the pad and the wife would be unhappy!.
20210402_111946.jpg

You could do a 90 off the stove, and a 45 coming into the existing pipe. To minimize elbows. You would only be a single 45 more elbow than you already had.

Reactions: johneh
Sound easy enough. Dumb question...can the vertical pipe get cut to length or do I need to get a specific length pipe? I can't remember if it's tapered to fit the joints.

I’m not familiar with all pipe types. But you likely need a specific length or an adjustable section. They need to overlap and be sealed.

If you had your cleanout tee coming off the old stove then you can still keep that.

Reactions: vinny11950
While cutting and crimping is possible, it'll void any UL certification if you cut (alter) a listed part.

All the popular brands (Selkirk, Simpson, interlock (twist lock), they have to to meet the UL certification and remain sealed. Keep in mind that they DO NOT interchange with each other so you need to stick with what you already have, or replace everything with new.

Far as height from the unit to the wall thimble, it needs to be slightly up hill or level but never down hill.

I get all my venting from Ventingpipe.com Have a huge selection and deliver fast and much cheaper than a local retailer.

Been using the same vent pipe (minus the 4-3 cleanout Tee that got a rust hole in it, for about 15 years now... ('cause I'm cheap)....lol