Strange noise in flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yablonski

Apr 10, 2022
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope you’re well!

I recently had a new log burner installed (chesney 8kw) and yesterday after a few hours of burning logs (15% moisture or less) I was hearing this noise in the flue (see video) I went back to the store who installed the fire and chimney liner and they said it’s the settling in noise of the liner in the chimney.

I’ve had a log burner before, a 3.5kw and haven’t heard that noise before, I’m used to the noise of the stove expanding but this one is new to me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Does the noise go away after the stove is warmed up?

That noise occurred after the fire had been active for 3-4 hours, when the fire cooled down the noise happened less but was still very noticeable.

The noise itself kept starting and stopping every few seconds or so. I’ve not used it since but plan today to do so to see if it happens again, we have had the stove and new liner for a few weeks so strange that it’s started making this noise now.

I did check our chimney outside but didn’t notice anything strange, just normal white smoke. (Unless that’s considered strange)

Not the best image in the world as it was quite late at night.

4719AAC6-BD72-4871-B609-E8A11690488F.jpeg

To my untrained ear, it sounds like rattling. I’m not a pro, but I can tell you that I’ve had 2 different liner installs done on my stove and I’ve not heard that noise. I think the company should come out to troubleshoot.

Reactions: yablonski
Thank you for the input!

Maybe something has come loose, we’ve used it quite a few times in the past weeks since the installation.

I’ll run it again today and see if it happens, quite unnerving, I have a feeling when I showed the company the video they may have just said it’s a settling in noise to get rid of me, but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt since I’m no professional.

Is there a metal block off plate on the top side of the fireplace? If so, it is possible that the hole of the block off plate that the liner passes through is tight and the noise your hearing is the plate expanding around the liner.

Hi all,

Hope you’re well!

I recently had a new log burner installed (chesney 8kw) and yesterday after a few hours of burning logs (15% moisture or less) I was hearing this noise in the flue (see video) I went back to the store who installed the fire and chimney liner and they said it’s the settling in noise of the liner in the chimney.

I’ve had a log burner before, a 3.5kw and haven’t heard that noise before, I’m used to the noise of the stove expanding but this one is new to me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 294580
Does your stove have manual primary air control that you are using?
You vid shows a very active fire. Is this early in the burn and prior to reducing primary air?
Sounds almost like resonance from excessive air flow. Possibly?
If you turn down the primary air supply for a nice slow burn does the noise quit?