strange or not!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
stanleyjohn said:
Well i was wrong.!It was a discount for not having a wood stove vs having one.We received another update on our insurance!Since we have auto and homeowners together from the same insurance co!the homeowners went up $40 and $100 each on both our cars.Did not take long for my wife to call them up to find out why auto went up and she was told it was because of the stove!what a rip off!!!.Oh!! the insuance lady said what a pretty stove we had!Oh boy that makes me feel much better.

i must be missing something or not understanding something here. what does a car have to do with a woodstove installed in a house? how does a woodstove make insurance on a car go up?

I just recently went through an extensive search for new homeowner's insurance. I thought it was interesting that most of the companies I spoke with only wanted to know if I had a fireplace. When I asked if they counted a wood stove as a fireplace, I think they all said no. That said, who know how the many questions you must answer are transformed into the mysterious premium number. All I know is that it is so frustrating to receive double digit premium increases when I have never had a single auto or home claim in over 15 years... <end rant>

fbelec said:
stanleyjohn said:
Well i was wrong.!It was a discount for not having a wood stove vs having one.We received another update on our insurance!Since we have auto and homeowners together from the same insurance co!the homeowners went up $40 and $100 each on both our cars.Did not take long for my wife to call them up to find out why auto went up and she was told it was because of the stove!what a rip off!!!.Oh!! the insuance lady said what a pretty stove we had!Oh boy that makes me feel much better.

i must be missing something or not understanding something here. what does a car have to do with a woodstove installed in a house? how does a woodstove make insurance on a car go up?

Doesnt make any sence to me also!unless they thing if a fire distroys a home with a attached garage with cars in them it makes the autos more of a risk.Well my wife told them it was time for us to start looking elsewhere and the insurance lady said maybe we could work something out and will get back to us.

On the topic of Insurance companies and rates, we recently did a pay off of our mortgage, and borrowed a certain amount more than that, to re-model our home. Front Porch, Rear Deck, New Roof, Addition, Central Air, Wood Stove, etc.. The notice of the pay off must have caught the attention of the Insurance company some how, and they called right as the reconstruction began, to ask to come out and take a look at our property.

I see this as a two-sided situation. On the one hand, you WANT the Insurance company to get an accurate snapshot of your home, so that they can properly set an accurate replacement value, should anything happen, and yet on the OTHER hand, our rates will go up. It's a catch 22.

I told them to "come back in April, after all the work is done, so they can get a complete picture. They wanted to come out while the house was still being torn up for the remodel. I believe they are brainless, in some ways.

A wood stove will definitely NOT give you better rates.........it's a greater risk, hazard. It DID, however, help with our taxes, and reduced our fossil fuel bill.

-Soupy

stanleyjohn said:

Perhaps it is time to shop around and see what else is out there . . . I tend to do this periodically . . . but I keep coming back to the present company due to their good prices and excellent customer service.

stanleyjohn said:
fbelec said:
stanleyjohn said:

Doesnt make any sence to me also!unless they thing if a fire distroys a home with a attached garage with cars in them it makes the autos more of a risk.Well my wife told them it was time for us to start looking elsewhere and the insurance lady said maybe we could work something out and will get back to us.

they should have known about the attached garage before the stove. if it were me i would call and question. thats two hundred dollars extra. i think someone at the insurance company is smoking the pipe.

Well! Hopefully this is the end of the roller coaster ride.My wife got a call from the insurance company today and the auto insurance part is going to go down at least $100 per auto :) instead of up!the home insurance will go up $40.I have heard that insurance company's will raise rates higher than they should hoping that you will just say nothing and if you do complain and threaten to change insurances like my wife did you could end up paying less than before.

That is exactly what happened to me. My rates jumped yet again and when I called to ask why, the premium magically dropped with no change in coverage. I was so disgusted with the tactic that I dropped the company completely. I don't suppose there are a lot of insurance professionals on the Hearth forum, but if so, I hope they are taking notice and not letting their companies engage in such unsavory business practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.