Strange Sounds From Insert Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NoGoodAtScreenNames

Feeling the Heat
Sep 16, 2015
Massachusetts
Hi everyone,

I'm in my 3rd year with my Enviro Boston 1700 insert. Recently the fan will start making a very strange sound - it's louder than the base level but not too loud. It sounds a bit like the gates of Hades opening up. Kind of like a throbbing / rattling "ReeeeeeReeeeeawwwwwRedrumRedrum" sound. Freaked out the wife first time it happened.

I've noticed that it stops if I change the speed and the set it back. I haven't done any maintenance on the fan except poking a vacuum rod in to pull out dust every now and then. I can get the top squirrel cage but it's not the most accessible thing in the world.

Any idea what it could be and what things I should be doing to maintain the fan or fix this problem? Seems some disassembly is required for anything more than surface dusting and I don't want to pull it apart without knowing what I'm doing.

Thanks. b10d93ccf11e1558949e274e8deed89d.jpgd3b927870153b72d3215765e56cf0b04.jpg

Probably need to remove the fan assembly and do a complete cleaning of the fan and try to spray the bearings if you can get to them. Not sure on the Enviro Boston 1700, but typically fan assemblies in general are not the strong point is most inserts.

Try using an Air Duster. Those fan blades have loads of dust on them...somewhat on one side....and that could be throwing it all out of balance/making noise.

good luck

That was a before picture. It's pretty spotless after cleaning with the vacuum - I did also try the canned air on the bottom since I can't reach it or see it with taking it completely out so I don't know how well I got that.

It still makes the noise once or twice a day - usually on when on low.

Just curious - what kind of maintenance do people do on their fans - how invasive do you go? Do you just run them into the ground until you replace it?

I pull my blower assembly off every now and then and blow it out with an air compressor. The first year I had my insert I just used a vacuum to clean the fans. The first time I pulled it off and used compressed air I learned how ineffective vacuuming was.

On my hampton the whole assembly just pulls right off. I use compressed air and a big paint brush. If those fans build up too much dust which a vacuume will not pull off, they will wobble and vibrate any thin metal/heatshields built into it.

Yep, ash and pet hair, and other stuff sticks to the blower fins and will cause an imbalance, a decrease in effectiveness, and funny noises. Real pain to clean. Vacuuming doesn't cut it, requires air and monotonous elbow grease to get them right. I use compressed air, small brushes and qtips at the edges.

If you can get good access to the individual blades a stiff brush like a toothbrush is a good help for cleaning.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Had them out a few times on a bench for thorough cleaning and oiling though I couldn't tell for sure if the bearings were sealed or not.

I don't let a lot of ash or dust get to them.