Such a shame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wg_bent

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Poughkeepsie, NY
Yesterday I came home from work and as I was approaching my house I saw that the town had cut down a tree along the road and had left some rounds. Great I thought. I quickly changed and ran over there... When I got there I saw why. One of the rounds laying on it's side was almost as tall as me and about 6 feet long... and loaded with barbed wire, nails, etc... I'm sure the one round weighed as much as my car or more.

What a shame. There staring at me was about a cord of white oak 100 yards from my wood pile and I couldn't do a darned thing to get at it. sob sob

No problem.

World's largest running chainsaw:

Attachments

• big gus chainsaw.gif
    65.2 KB · Views: 556
BrotherBart said:
No problem.

Now i know what bb stands for.BALL BUSTER. :coolgrin:

BrotherBart said:
No problem.

Let's give Da Yoopers their proper credit. I used to live 15 minutes from Big Gus, and I passed it every time I drove up to college at Da Tech.

babalu87 said:
http://www.tiltonequipment.com/Total_Catalog_Pages/Tilton_Special_Saw_Chain_page.html#CARBIDE

Now go cut that thing up

Neat looking chain! Have you tried it for regular wood? and what kind of money does it cost? If it's halfway reasonable, and can be (eventually) resharpenned, and can be had for "normal" saws, it might be worth while.

I know carbide is great on other sorts of sawblades, don't know why it wouldn't work on a chainsaw. I could stand to have a chain that lasted 25 tanks before needing to be re-sharpenned, and didn't die after an occasional light grounding or dirty log.

Gooserider

that big gus chain must have been designed by tim allen and prob. has a v8 engine
i would hate to gas that one up

Gooserider said:
babalu87 said:
http://www.tiltonequipment.com/Total_Catalog_Pages/Tilton_Special_Saw_Chain_page.html#CARBIDE

Now go cut that thing up

Neat looking chain! Have you tried it for regular wood? and what kind of money does it cost? If it's halfway reasonable, and can be (eventually) resharpenned, and can be had for "normal" saws, it might be worth while.

I know carbide is great on other sorts of sawblades, don't know why it wouldn't work on a chainsaw. I could stand to have a chain that lasted 25 tanks before needing to be re-sharpenned, and didn't die after an occasional light grounding or dirty log.

Gooserider

goose there are carbide tiped chains for chainsaws

http://www.rapcoindustries.com/designs.html

fbelec said:
that big gus chain must have been designed by tim allen and prob. has a v8 engine
i would hate to gas that one up

Good guess.

This is one of my stories, so if you don't want to read, click delete.

Several years ago I was doing a workshop for the Feds in Bozeman, Montana. Well, this is the banana belt of MT. and has lots of places to see. One afternoon a group went to the Lolo Hot Springs. I struck up a conversation with a "good old boy" and asked where we could get some good food and beer. Well the first group was five guys and one lady. Not worth retelling. We decided to get a group together and go the next night (Friday) to let off steam. Well the evening was full of beer, broasted chicken, beer, potato wedges, beer, jo-jo's, beer and other stuff I can't remember Music was local and great, and the crowd filled the 10 acre parking lot. So no one had to wait, there were twenty bar tenders wait persons.

OK, if you made it this far, you are having a slow evening. The structure was made from logs, not little ones, but 4-6 footers, I have no idea how big, but I would guess from memory about 40,000 square feet total. To get there is was about five miles up a forest service road of 2nd growth timber. The entrance was through a rough plank door into a "mud room, cut from the stump of the mother tree. I would say about twenty feet across and an arch about twelve feet high, no foundation needed, it still had it's roots. Well, this is in an area where timber is a core of the economy. Wood is cut by section and surveyor lines are edges for cuts. Just like furrows of corn or beans.

Timber is part of their lives. So what better to decorate with, but lumber related items...... I mean, can you imagine a wall of chain saws starting with 16 foot bars and going to baby 2 footers covering a wall? I saw saws(LOL) with four HP motors that were V4 Hobarts. I saw saws with motors on both ends, I saw at least 2,000 two man saws, with no duplications. I saw axes with 10 inch double blades, and I saw Indian blades 4 inches with two lbs. behind the blade. There were slings, snatch hooks, climbing tools and ........ I spent the second night with a lady friend from Washington identifying tools her granddad used.

Well the story doesn't end there. This was at the time of equal opportunity, in fact I did a session on parity, so the bar could not get away without equal opportunity. The major off wall from the entrance over the bar was covered with...... yes folks..... The only unique item not seen in a lumber camp. Ladies foundations. Here again, no duplicates, but they had a full range, even to the one that I swore would fit an elephant, but my friend said it wasn't an inch over a 56 quad E.

And that's the last of the story.

I found another one. Sheesh. Craigs list: Free wood. I go get it. Massive sugar maple. I manage to get 2 peices in the Safari. This time I'm gong back with the saw!!

Stuff is tough to split. I'll let it dry for a few months to see if that helps. I need a wood Grenade!!

UncleRich said:
Well the story doesn't end there. This was at the time of equal opportunity, in fact I did a session on parity, so the bar could not get away without equal opportunity. The major off wall from the entrance over the bar was covered with...... yes folks..... The only unique item not seen in a lumber camp. Ladies foundations. Here again, no duplicates, but they had a full range, even to the one that I swore would fit an elephant, but my friend said it wasn't an inch over a 56 quad E.

And that's the last of the story.

That was no foundation, sounds more like Paul Bunyan's slingshot. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.