sugar or red?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trguitar

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Harvard, MA
I thought this was red when I first cut it, but now after splitting I'm not so sure. 20170503_175605.jpg 20170503_170842.jpg 20170503_170829.jpg20170503_180402.jpg 20170502_175703.jpg

Red as the sugar maple I just split Tuesday was white all the way through.

Interesting. All of the Red I see has a dark heartwood with light or reddish sapwood. I have not found sugar yet. It seems to be elusive in my area; overtaken with Red or Norway.

Do you see any bluish grey smooth bark especially on the rounds from upper trunk or branches? That might help a little. Sometimes the lower trunk can be broken up like that but there is almost always some smoother bark on the upper section of the Red maple. Younger red will typically just start to get splitting bark around 4-6" DBH.

It was not cut live. It has been down at least 6 months, maybe longer. There is lots of sugar maple in the area, as well as red.

When I go back to get the rest of it, I'll look at the branches.

Bark doesn't look like red to me.

Looks like sugar to me from the pics - especially the split surfaces. I have a few cords of sugar stacked in my back yard that look exactly like that - mine was all windfall stuff, down 2 years before I got to it. I think the longer it lays, the redder it gets. Fresh cut should be whiter, I think.

Reactions: TedyOH
I think I'm going to stack it separately from everything else. If it's ready to burn in November, it's red. If not, it's sugar!

Although not fool proof, the weight of the split is always a good indicator.....when dry, sugar will weight around the same as a similar size split of hickory, red is similar to ash in weight.

Soft Maple all day everyday. definitely not Hard(sugar) Maple.

Looks like some decent btu's to me...;)

Pretty sure it's red. I just scored a bunch today actually, although it was advertised as "oak, but maybe maple" lol.

Looks like sugar, great wood for mixing. Seasons quicker than oak. Smells great outside when burning it.

Am I the only one who thinks the guy who bucked those logs used the tip of his saw a little too much? Or maybe a loose chain? Just looks like way too much chain chatter for my taste.

Reactions: jaoneill