Suggested Truck/Engine Options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I actually like the older Chevy much more. It drives nicer it is much lower and easier to load and get in and out of. The Ford is nicer in many ways but the Chevy was easier to use

And yes if I worked in an area like that it would be different. But here we just don't need extra ground clearance for the work we do. The guys working in the gas fields yes. But why is it I can't get a truck that I can load easily and don't have to climb up on the bumper to get a ladder anymore. Why not make a reasonable height truck and have an option of extra ground clearance? That is how it was done in the past.

That you'd have to ask the manufacturer, they make what sells.

That you'd have to ask the manufacturer, they make what sells.
Well when you need a work truck and the only ones available are now 6" higher than they used to be you don't have an option to buy anything else. Almost every contractor I talk to complains about it. The fact is they are not making trucks for contractors any more. It is really hard to find a long bed regular cab truck on a lot in this area atleast. Even new they just aren't carried. They all tried to sell me a short bed crew cab. Saying you can haul your family around to.

Not true front lockers was an option. Ours has it

You'd have to show me where then, I've never seen one, my truck has the electronic locking rear diff.

A locking front diff would make the handling very poor, the steering would be quite difficult.

Reactions: sloeffle
Well when you need a work truck and the only ones available are now 6" higher than they used to be you don't have an option to buy anything else. Almost every contractor I talk to complains about it. The fact is they are not making trucks for contractors any more. It is really hard to find a long bed regular cab truck on a lot in this area atleast. Even new they just aren't carried. They all tried to sell me a short bed crew cab. Saying you can haul your family around to.

That's the same here. Most people don't want a regular cab long bed for their daily driver, we have to special order in all our work trucks from the plant, and then ship them to the upfitter to be built. Last picker truck we built took 6 months from the date of order to delivery and cost $150k. Granted this is an F550 diesel Crew Cab with 7500lb lift picker, tool cabinets and 7 foot deck.

Reactions: bholler
You'd have to show me where then, I've never seen one, my truck has the electronic locking rear diff.

A locking front diff would make the handling very poor, the steering would be quite difficult.
Well yeah you can't drive it on pavement with it locked at all. Even the rear is bad when locked on pavement. But when you need it a front locker is really nice. I put a locker in the front of my bronco and a couple other off road rigs I have had. They aren't to bad to steer off road when locked. When unlocked it drives like any open diff.

Reactions: ABMax24
I made the mistake of putting a limited slip in the front axle of my bronco to start with because I had one for a dana 44. That was scary to drive in 4wd. Don't ever do that. Then i ran a lunchbox locker up front for a while but the noise annoyed me. So I spent the money and did it right.

I made the mistake of putting a limited slip in the front axle of my bronco to start with because I had one for a dana 44. That was scary to drive in 4wd. Don't ever do that. Then i ran a lunchbox locker up front for a while but the noise annoyed me. So I spent the money and did it right.

I can definitely understand why. I've got a RZR side by side for serious off road use, most trails here are to tight for anything wider, and with the soft muskeg lighter weight is definitely an advantage.

Reactions: bholler
Internet went down in this region for most of the day yesterday, so I have some catching up. If you want to go wheeling, don't buy a 3/4+ ton truck. Even a half ton is too big most of the time. For going down fire breaks and service roads you will be ok, but more than that and you will sink or be too big. 1/2 ton and larger trucks just aren't that great off road, unless you are doing trophy truck type stuff, and then it's a different story.

Reactions: Ashful
Why was it scary? I've taken limited slip diffs off road and I'd rather have one than an open diff.

Not true front lockers was an option. Ours has it
Also the Raptor comes with an LSD in the front, or at least it used to. I'd like lockers in my truck to help with snow and ice.

Why was it scary? I've taken limited slip diffs off road and I'd rather have one than an open diff.
Unpredictable handling on the road through turns as it locked and unlocked. Off road was not an issue.

Unpredictable handling on the road through turns as it locked and unlocked. Off road was not an issue.
In what kind of on road conditions? Most AWD performance vehicles have three limited slip differentials and they work awesome on dry pavement. Military Humvees are the same.

why is it I can't get a truck that I can load easily and don't have to climb up on the bumper to get a ladder anymore. Why not make a reasonable height truck and have an option of extra ground clearance? That is how it was done in the past.
Substantial time and money goes into studying what the market wants, for every such decision. Occasionally they get it wrong, but not often. So, let’s assume the popular vote is toward trucks that look tougher, and hence taller.

Practicality is such a secondary theme, in many vehicle purchasing decisions, image often over-rules.

Practicality is such a secondary theme, in many vehicle purchasing decisions, image often over-rules.
Man, it must really suck being such a slave to what other people think of your ride! Expensive too!
Wish I would have developed my "don't care what you think of me and my stuff" attitude back in high school, would have saved me a lot of time and trouble...(and coin)

Internet went down in this region for most of the day yesterday, so I have some catching up. If you want to go wheeling, don't buy a 3/4+ ton truck. Even a half ton is too big most of the time. For going down fire breaks and service roads you will be ok, but more than that and you will sink or be too big. 1/2 ton and larger trucks just aren't that great off road, unless you are doing trophy truck type stuff, and then it's a different story.
That depends on the area. There are
In what kind of on road conditions? Most AWD performance vehicles have three limited slip differentials and they work awesome on dry pavement. Military Humvees are the same.
Light snow covered roads the random locking and unlocking caused unpredictable handling.

Man, it must really suck being such a slave to what other people think of your ride! Expensive too!
I wouldn’t know. I drive a Dodge. If I cared enough what people thought, I guess I’d have spent twice as much for an AMG with a nicer badge but less horsepower.

Or maybe I’d have bought a more expensive 2500, when all I really need is a 1500. That’d give me bragging rights, for what?

I wouldn’t know. I drive a Dodge. If I cared enough what people thought, I guess I’d have spent twice as much for an AMG with a nicer badge but less horsepower.

Or maybe I’d have bought a more expensive 2500, when all I really need is a 1500. That’d give me bragging rights, for what?
My comment was directed toward people in general...not you specifically...just FYI. ;)

My 2011 GMC 6.2L ran consistent 14/15 mpg city. My 2019 6.2L runs 19+ mpg city. You might be amazed by the economy of the newer engines with all the new fangled tech...like auto start/stop.
Thats great city MPG for a heavy truck. My 2015 V-6 1500 Sierra does great on the hwy as much as 26 but around town stop and go its down to 15 MPG.

My f350 diesel is rated to tow 10,000#. It weighs 7500# empty and has huge disc brakes on all wheels plus 8 gallons of antifreeze. Daily driver plus tow pig for a 7000# rv.

I too would like a small half ton gas and they’re now rated to tow my trailer but underneath they are the same little half tons that used to be rated to tow 5000#.

Maybe the compromise is a 3/4 or 1 ton gas truck. They get similar mpg in city and towing but empty freeway cruises give superior mpg in the half ton or the diesel.
What year? I just ordered a 2020 F350 with the new 7.3 gas. It has 21,000 towing and 32,000 5th wheel towing.

here is what I can tell you about your choices. I do a camshaft and set of lifters a month in my shop in the 5.3. The AFM motor is junk until the AFM is deleted and can and lifters replaces. I never work on the 6.2 and I’ve never even drove one.

Ford half ton, I work in a Ford dealership as a tech, stay away from the 3.5 and 2.7. The turbos and a lot of other stuff make them very expensive. We see very few problems with the 5.0 gas motors.

if I were you I’d find a 100k mile diesel and spend a couple thousand for a powertrain warranty. For a camper/toy hauler that size from experience I’d shy away from a 1/2 ton to pull it. Rule of thumb is never exceed 75% of towing capacity on a regular basis.

The frame is the same. GCVW is the same. The truck will handle the 6.7 towing amounts no problem. I ordered a regular cab dually.

No the GCWR is not the same. Do whatever you want, but that truck is rated for a max of 21,200 towing assuming it has the 4.30 rear end. You open yourself up to liability by towing over rated capacity if you are ever involved in an accident.

You also stated in a previous post to never exceed 75% of the towing capacity, now you say its acceptable to exceed the towing capacity by 50%, which is it?

No the GCWR is not the same. Do whatever you want, but that truck is rated for a max of 21,200 towing assuming it has the 4.30 rear end. You open yourself up to liability by towing over rated capacity if you are ever involved in an accident.

You also stated in a previous post to never exceed 75% of the towing capacity, now you say its acceptable to exceed the towing capacity by 50%, which is it?
I said on a regular basis. The only difference in these trucks is the engine and torque converter. The rest is identical. I have no need to ever tow that amount. I bought the dually for towing a camper that’s 10k. It more stable at highway speeds. I would feel very comfortable with the correct setup towing the max rated for that chassis.

What year? I just ordered a 2020 F350 with the new 7.3 gas. It has 21,000 towing and 32,000 5th wheel towing.

here is what I can tell you about your choices. I do a camshaft and set of lifters a month in my shop in the 5.3. The AFM motor is junk until the AFM is deleted and can and lifters replaces. I never work on the 6.2 and I’ve never even drove one.

Ford half ton, I work in a Ford dealership as a tech, stay away from the 3.5 and 2.7. The turbos and a lot of other stuff make them very expensive. We see very few problems with the 5.0 gas motors.

if I were you I’d find a 100k mile diesel and spend a couple thousand for a powertrain warranty. For a camper/toy hauler that size from experience I’d shy away from a 1/2 ton to pull it. Rule of thumb is never exceed 75% of towing capacity on a regular basis.

It’s a 7.3 but in a 2000 model year. The new trucks have amazingly high ratings.