Suggested Truck/Engine Options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What year? I just ordered a 2020 F350 with the new 7.3 gas. It has 21,000 towing and 32,000 5th wheel towing.

here is what I can tell you about your choices. I do a camshaft and set of lifters a month in my shop in the 5.3. The AFM motor is junk until the AFM is deleted and can and lifters replaces. I never work on the 6.2 and I’ve never even drove one.

Ford half ton, I work in a Ford dealership as a tech, stay away from the 3.5 and 2.7. The turbos and a lot of other stuff make them very expensive. We see very few problems with the 5.0 gas motors.

if I were you I’d find a 100k mile diesel and spend a couple thousand for a powertrain warranty. For a camper/toy hauler that size from experience I’d shy away from a 1/2 ton to pull it. Rule of thumb is never exceed 75% of towing capacity on a regular basis.

That's why I bought the 6.2, it has 112,000 miles on it and I've never done anything but required maintenance. I wanted nothing to do with the AFM.

That's why I bought the 6.2, it has 112,000 miles on it and I've never done anything but required maintenance. I wanted nothing to do with the AFM.
I had one in a 2009 GMC. It left such a bad taste in my mouth I dumped it in three years at 37,000 miles. I will NEVER own another GM product.

I had one in a 2009 GMC. It left such a bad taste in my mouth I dumped it in three years at 37,000 miles. I will NEVER own another GM product.

What didn't you like about it, are you talking the engine or GM in general?

From what I've read the AFM has improved dramatically in the last few years. It is 100% transparent on the '19's. No lights, no change in sound, no nothing. Zero perceptible change in feel whilst driving. I understand that was not the case on the earlier AFM models.

You can also disable it by driving in either sport mode or tow/haul. But again, I can't imagine anyone being able to notice it on the newer trucks.

What didn't you like about it, are you talking the engine or GM in general?
I had went through oil consumption test after oil consumption test. They had done everything short of a long block. I was using 6 quarts every 3,000 miles. I had to add oil one morning, oil pressure light came on going around a curve, and it was 4.5 quarts low. I filled it took it too the dealer and they said I had to start the test over since I added oil. For like the 10th f’in time.

I will never own another one of their products. RAM, Jeep, or Ford will be all that’s parked in my driveway. When I spend the kind of money I spent on that truck I don’t think it’s too much to ask to have it fixed under warranty in a timely manner.

I bought my first RAM 45 min after leaving that dealership. 8 years later I’m on my second one. Only one problem between the two trucks and it was taken care of painlessly under warranty.

I had went through oil consumption test after oil consumption test. They had done everything short of a long block. I was using 6 quarts every 3,000 miles. I had to add oil one morning, oil pressure light came on going around a curve, and it was 4.5 quarts low. I filled it took it too the dealer and they said I had to start the test over since I added oil. For like the 10th f’in time.

I will never own another one of their products. RAM, Jeep, or Ford will be all that’s parked in my driveway. When I spend the kind of money I spent on that truck I don’t think it’s too much to ask to have it fixed under warranty in a timely manner.

I bought my first RAM 45 min after leaving that dealership. 8 years later I’m on my second one. Only one problem between the two trucks and it was taken care of painlessly under warranty.

If you ask the marketing team at Fiat Chrysler which group of owners is hardest to penetrate they'll tell you GM trucks. Congrats on being one of the few they've managed to compel to make the switch!

Vehicles are mass produced. You'll always have outliers, the really bad experience, the engine that burns 10 quarts of oil per gallon of gas. It is absolutely no different than the guy that made it to 1,000,000 miles with his Silverado by only changing the oil and tires, never a single repair. Statistically equivalent. Sorry you had a bad experience but maybe you just had a bad dealer? Good luck with your Ford/FCA products at any rate. Those new Rams are sharp looking trucks...

If you ask the marketing team at Fiat Chrysler which group of owners is hardest to penetrate they'll tell you GM trucks. Congrats on being one of the few they've managed to compel to make the switch!

Vehicles are mass produced. You'll always have outliers, the really bad experience, the engine that burns 10 quarts of oil per gallon of gas. It is absolutely no different than the guy that made it to 1,000,000 miles with his Silverado by only changing the oil and tires, never a single repair. Statistically equivalent. Sorry you had a bad experience but maybe you just had a bad dealer? Good luck with your Ford/FCA products at any rate. Those new Rams are sharp looking trucks...
I’m a Ford Technician for the same dealer group I had bought that GM off of. Their hands were tied by GM. I ordered a new Ford last week, take advantage of the employee pricing while I can since I’m going back to a full time Paramedic/Fleet Manager job in three weeks.

I do like the Silverado and Sierras and think the Duramax is the most reliable and proven Diesel engine available in light duty today. I’m work a truck hard and don’t feel GM lives up to that standard and the horrible warranty history I had.

I’m only driving 1/2 tons with 5.7 liter gassers, but I’ve had the same experience. Had a Chevy 1500 that was just one problem after another, and replaced in in 2005 with a Ram. I did this with some reluctance, I was not enthused about buying a Dodge, but they were the only brand still offering manual trans in a 1/2 ton at that time. So, I went with it.

I had that first Ram 12 years, and it only needed one repair, a self-inflicted tear in one of the $30 CV joint boots (earned while off-roading). Purchased another Ram to replace it in 2017, and similarly zero problems, it has been as reliable as concrete. The only issue I’ve had with either, mostly due to the way I use them for bad (snowy/icy) weather and then let them sit damp and salty anytime the weather turns nice, is some body rust on the 2005 model.

I thought I was the oddball on that, but a friend who owns a large fleet of work trucks just abandoned his beloved GMC, and started switching his entire fleet to Ram. Go figure.

You must have gotten a lemon, it happens, mine doesn't burn a drop. My only complaints about my Chevy is all the little stuff that breaks. For example, a cable snapped in of the drivers door forcing me to roll down my window and use the outside handle. Finally had that fixed. The button for the passenger side window will not operate the passenger side window, it just clicks, yet the passenger can use their button and the window rolls down fine. There's more but I can't think of them right now.

You must have gotten a lemon, it happens, mine doesn't burn a drop. My only complaints about my Chevy is all the little stuff that breaks. For example, a cable snapped in of the drivers door forcing me to roll down my window and use the outside handle. Finally had that fixed. The button for the passenger side window will not operate the passenger side window, it just clicks, yet the passenger can use their button and the window rolls down fine. There's more but I can't think of them right now.

What year and motor? GMs oil consumption TSB allows 3 quarts every 5000 miles as normal usage. That TSB applied to all AFM motors up until at least 2016 that I know of.

Ford as RAM are 1 quart every 5000 miles. Which, in my opinion is not too bad. GMs use over half their capacity at that rate.

What year and motor? GMs oil consumption TSB allows 3 quarts every 5000 miles as normal usage. That TSB applied to all AFM motors up until at least 2016 that I know of.

Ford as RAM are 1 quart every 5000 miles. Which, in my opinion is not too bad. GMs use over half their capacity at that rate.

It's a 2010

From what I've read the AFM has improved dramatically in the last few years. It is 100% transparent on the '19's. No lights, no change in sound, no nothing. Zero perceptible change in feel whilst driving. I understand that was not the case on the earlier AFM models.

You can also disable it by driving in either sport mode or tow/haul. But again, I can't imagine anyone being able to notice it on the newer trucks.

That's why I won't buy a car that is brand new, car makers love to test their cars and trucks with the consumer. Sure they have the test models they drive around that are camouflaged so you can't see the actual body style, but that doesn't really equate to thousands of people driving in different conditions and driving styles. I like to buy a car or truck that is about 2 -3 years old and right before a style change. By then they usually have the kinks worked out. And let some other guy take the depreciation hit.

You must have gotten a lemon, it happens, mine doesn't burn a drop.
Could be,
Going on 40+ yrs of GM trucks , I havnt experienced any unusual oil usage ever. Could be a head gasket going or worn rings,may not have been broken in right. My newest addition to the fleet ,a 2015 GMC is operating flawlessly as far as nothing failing or breaking for about 5000 miles over7 months now. Normally i never have to add any oil at all between oil changes once a yr. Even in the 25yr old silverado. I just changed the oil to Synthetic as i do in all my vehicles.

Last edited:

6 qts in 3000 miles is ridiculous, at that rate you'd never have to change the oil, just the filter, it doesn't have the chance to get dirty. Even their 3 qts in 5000 mi is crazy, what a poor excuse for a truck manufacturer. The biggest problem with my 2010 Silverado is the rear fender well rust is starting to break out very quickly, in a year or so, I'll be driving a fender flapper. My wife's 2010 Camry with 180,000 miles on it and is driven longer and on saltier roads, zero rust.

6 qts in 3000 miles is ridiculous, at that rate you'd never have to change the oil, just the filter, it doesn't have the chance to get dirty. Even their 3 qts in 5000 mi is crazy, what a poor excuse for a truck manufacturer
BMW claims (or used to) that 1 qt per 1000 miles is ok in their bikes...I was never impressed by that at all.

Reactions: SpaceBus
6 qts in 3000 miles is ridiculous, at that rate you'd never have to change the oil, just the filter,
Was reading that GM acceptable rate is 1Qt for 2000 miles. So 6 qts in 3000 miles would indicate something wrong. Ill be checking mine tomorrow as iv put about 3000 miles on since i had it changed to synth. GMs v6 takes 6qts and all 8cyl engines take 8.5Qts of oil.

Last edited:
Was reading that GM acceptable rate is 1Qt for 2000 miles. So 6 qts in 3000 miles would indicate something wrong. Ill be checking mine tomorrow as iv put about 3000 miles on since i had it changed to synth. GMs v6 takes 6qts and all 8cyl engines take 8.5Qts of oil.
The 6.0 V8 only takes 6 qts.

I thought all the 4.8/5.3/6.0 gas engines took 6 qts also. All the 6.0 trucks I have had only take 6 qts.

It’s actually 5.5, never seen 8 in anything newer outside a diesel.
I think the 5.5 is w/o filter. Add filter change and its 6. but that's splitting hairs.

Could be,
Going on 40+ yrs of GM trucks , I havnt experienced any unusual oil usage ever. Could be a head gasket going or worn rings,may not have been broken in right. My newest addition to the fleet ,a 2015 GMC is operating flawlessly as far as nothing failing or breaking for about 5000 miles over7 months now. Normally i never have to add any oil at all between oil changes once a yr. Even in the 25yr old silverado. I just changed the oil to Synthetic as i do in all my vehicles.
Speaking chronologically, think your vehicles are on either side of the GM small block “short skirt” debacle, that is the source of so many of the problems mentioned here. Google “GM piston slap,” if you were somehow living under a rock and missed this whole mess, fifteen years ago. In any case, it seems the “it’s normal for your vehicle to burn half a crankcase worth of oil between oil changes” statements all began with regard to this redesign.

My owners manual for my 2015 GMC states v-6 6qt ,all 8s 8.5 qts.
IF some are putting in 5 qts they are already 3.5 qts low.

Reactions: Ashful
I just checked my 2015 after about 2500 mi on a change ,dash meter says 60% oil life left ,stick says still full. My 1995 id say uses about a half quart or so by the time i change it, not enough to add. I expect about a half qt to a quart low after about a year depending on use and mileage.