Suggestions for a wood stove and cook top for emergencies.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clancey

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
After doing some research and with your help I made a final decision on getting a emergency heater. My porch is about 8x10 and the concrete people will be here the first week of April to lay down a 4 inch floor and I will have the area closed off and how many windows should I have or not for a air supply other than the heater. I am seeking some suggestions on getting a nice wood heater with maybe burner or two just for emergencies something I can make coffee with in a emergency use only and I might want to make some bread in it as well..Now to the ceiling the roof after 4 inches of concrete will be about 80 some inches and how high should a stove pipe be coming out of a cook stove?.. It can go through the roof and how high on the outside for a good breeze (draft) to work it? One end of the porch area getting really windy at times (southeast) and the other end (northeast) is more still and should I put it on the windy side or the still side...Appreciate any suggestions for you people have helped me out a lot to insure that I am making a good decisions. This stove is just for a emergency with all services out (blackouts)..Any suggestions on stoves..My stove person sells Osborns and how are they"? Thanks clancey..

After doing some research and with your help I made a final decision on getting a emergency heater. My porch is about 8x10 and the concrete people will be here the first week of April to lay down a 4 inch floor and I will have the area closed off and how many windows should I have or not for a air supply other than the heater. I am seeking some suggestions on getting a nice wood heater with maybe burner or two just for emergencies something I can make coffee with in a emergency use only and I might want to make some bread in it as well..Now to the ceiling the roof after 4 inches of concrete will be about 80 some inches and how high should a stove pipe be coming out of a cook stove?.. It can go through the roof and how high on the outside for a good breeze (draft) to work it? One end of the porch area getting really windy at times (southeast) and the other end (northeast) is more still and should I put it on the windy side or the still side...Appreciate any suggestions for you people have helped me out a lot to insure that I am making a good decisions. This stove is just for a emergency with all services out (blackouts)..Any suggestions on stoves..My stove person sells Osborns and how are they"? Thanks clancey..
2' above anything within 10'. But many stoves have a minimum chimney height. Usually 12' or 15'

Thanks.. I want you folk to take a lot at this cook stove and what do you think? I know it is expensive but what do you think about its technical stuff--asking you before I ask my installer. It would look really pretty on the new area going to be built and increase the value of my home here... I would really appreciate your honest suggestions...

Thanks.. I want you folk to take a lot at this cook stove and what do you think? I know it is expensive but what do you think about its technical stuff--asking you before I ask my installer. It would look really pretty on the new area going to be built and increase the value of my home here... I would really appreciate your honest suggestions...

It is not ul listed which means it requires 36" of clearance and can cause problems with insurance

If your porch roof is 1 story and your house is 2, you may have issues with your house drafting harder than your chimney can.

You are really painting yourself in corner by asking for cooking capability as cookstoves rarely work well as space heaters. Space Bus a member on this site seems to have it figured out if you really want to go that way. A small Jotul 602 will throw off plenty of heat in emergency and doesnt take up a lot of room. It will heat a pot of water on top and using outdoor cooking techniques and you would be surprised on what you can cook on a bed of hot coals. You can pick up a good used Jotul 602 in the $400 to $800 range. They do have burn plates that wear out eventually but they are replaceable so just factor that price if you are looking at used stoves. Even the new EPA compliant versus are going to be less than an offshore cookstove.

BTW an emergency wood stove is only as good as the emergency stack of cut and stacked dry wood. Unless you have wood shop an plan to burn the inventory, you need a cord of wood set aside. That is the BTU of roughly 100 gallons of heating oil. Or write a check and buy a pallet of biobricks (compressed sawdust). Forget about cutting it when you need it, green wood just will not burn in modern stove.

Last edited:
Thanks that stove is really nice that Jotul 602 and that's about all that I would need in a 8x10 space---"cute"---I like it and will get back on this thread when I check out even more things like that morso2b for instance...Thanks for the imput and I will get back with my determination---but I like it...clancey

I really do like that little stove and I checked on the larger one as well and if I remember right it was the Jotul 500 v3 a nice stove and larger BUT I only want this set up for a emergency and what I am worried about is "Having too much stove heat for a 8x10 area that will be insulated because I do not want to run it on low all the time and wondering if I keep it on high which I think is better will it heat the size room. I also called a wood supplier for me to buy wood from and they can accommodate 15 inch long and "they said fine split" as well and also they sell smaller quantities like "armfuls and 1/4 of a cord or smaller" and hard woods which are more expensive. So what I am leaning towards at this moment is that Jotul 602 and I love cast iron that holds the heat. My one big question is will it heat a 8x10 porch that is insulated and in the coldest of winters below 32 degrees can I run it on high so that I won't have to resort to low too often and the burn time I think is around 4 to 5 hours...It only weights 160 how nice and I can make a cup of coffee too. After I get the go ahead from you people if you feel it is adequate just for emergency and it won't run me out of the porch section with not enough or too much heat---trying to size just for this area so that I can burn on high most of the time..I checked a lot of heaters out and I am already sick of them--lol lol---What do you all think???

Meaning it will get too hot maybe in the area maybe? So should I consider another type of stove? What do you suggest? Thanks clancey

A 602 is about the smallest house legal stove you can buy. Just make small fires and do not overload it and it will be fine. You will need to make small splits of wood.

Thanks that's fine with me when I start a few little fires to see what I am up against (newby here). But by reading some of the postings on here I got the impression that wood heaters on low heat will gain more cresote or something in the smoke stack so its best to be on high for a time to burn all that bad stuff out.. I love that little stove and I am only trying to heat a area of 8x10 that will be insulated and I am going to have about two windows in the room back porch would this be okay? Thanks clancey

You need dry wood. What forms creosote is getting a big fire going then overheating the space and then cranking the air way down to stretch the burn. To make a rough comparison, with a gasoline engine in a car, you adjust the throttle to go faster or slower, this adjusts the amount of the fuel and air matched to each other. What you dont do is pump the maximum amount of gas you need or full power and then stuff a rag in the air cleaner to slow down the engine.

The Morso 1b can also work. It's a little smaller than the Jotul in firebox capacity, but a good little heater.

I checked out the Morso and it has a efficiency rating of 73% and it is 220 pounds and a firebox of 73 CU and can only use a max log size of 12 inches heating 1000 square feet and another one sticks out too far to give me comfort and the winner is::: a posters suggestion of a Jotul 602 and "I love it"..lol...Its efficient over 75% and I can get a tax deduction and the firebox is 82CU and can hold up to 16 inch logs and it heats about 600 sq feet and that's about what I want (8x10). It won't burn overnight but that's okay because this is only a emergency heater and not a whole house heater. Its pretty even in dimension with a adequate top size of about almost 12 3/4 wide by 21 1/4 depth and 25 1/4 high .Plus it's a cast iron stove that keeps the heat better .So I am still leaning towards the little giant and I love the lattice design on the front--so pretty----one thing I do not like is it not having a ash tray or pan---is this going to give me trouble because the Morso has one and is convection heating--what is that?.. Just think when I get done with looking at all of these stoves I could become a stove dealer who knows only numbers with no experience in running it...lol.. I even spoke by phone to a wood supplier today and her name was Dusk and she was wonderful...(family owned store of many many years).. Thank you everybody for your help and if you think of any suggestions let me know and I will check it out...On Monday I am going to order "something" and I am so glad that I cancelled the other wood stove for that was a no win where this one I can make a pot of coffee after loading it every five or so hours.. I love coffee...Thanks so much...clancey..

Kenny2339 you outdid yourself here---------I really like it....So simple in design and has a range of heating 500-1800 and the weight is good as well at 266 and everything that I wanted plus maybe I can make oatmeal with my coffee and I sure like the clear window as well--I will miss the beautiful design on the jotul 602 but this stove is much better----Wow---thanks for the quality time you took to find a item like this because I missed it...Good for you "new brother"--you have been updated...Now on Monday I will talk to my heater venting person and see what he thinks (Chris) and I will let you know...I still have two more days to look at more heaters and if anyone finds "anything" interesting please let me know--"Yes"...Thanks everyone....clancey....I do believe that "this is the one"...

I really do like that little stove and I checked on the larger one as well and if I remember right it was the Jotul 500 v3 a nice stove and larger BUT I only want this set up for a emergency and what I am worried about is "Having too much stove heat for a 8x10 area that will be insulated because I do not want to run it on low all the time and wondering if I keep it on high which I think is better will it heat the size room. I also called a wood supplier for me to buy wood from and they can accommodate 15 inch long and "they said fine split" as well and also they sell smaller quantities like "armfuls and 1/4 of a cord or smaller" and hard woods which are more expensive. So what I am leaning towards at this moment is that Jotul 602 and I love cast iron that holds the heat. My one big question is will it heat a 8x10 porch that is insulated and in the coldest of winters below 32 degrees can I run it on high so that I won't have to resort to low too often and the burn time I think is around 4 to 5 hours...It only weights 160 how nice and I can make a cup of coffee too. After I get the go ahead from you people if you feel it is adequate just for emergency and it won't run me out of the porch section with not enough or too much heat---trying to size just for this area so that I can burn on high most of the time..I checked a lot of heaters out and I am already sick of them--lol lol---What do you all think???

Just remember that any wood you buy will most likely have to sit and season for a year before it is ready to be used. If you plan to use your stove next winter you need to buy your wood a month ago.

Why is that? I think I can do that just leave it sit for a year unless of course a celestial body comes down from space or something..lol---but why in the world would I want to leave it sit there? Winter is coming....lol Do tell me...thanks clancey..

Why is that? I think I can do that just leave it sit for a year unless of course a celestial body comes down from space or something..lol---but why in the world would I want to leave it sit there? Winter is coming....lol Do tell me...thanks clancey..
Because wood you buy will most likely not be anywhere near dry enough.

So then I should buy wood now for a year away and make sure its dry now and keep it inside in order to stay dry. Then this winter I could burn it if I keep it dry and what kind of wood would you suggest I buy? Right now I have another question as well. I love this "Roby Sirius wood burner with two cook plates" . My porch area is 8x10 with a porch roof that slants down. Next to the house it is about 96 inches high--ballpark here...and out to the edge is about 86 inch high. The concrete will be about 4 inches when it is poured. Is this too much stove for me meaning too much heat and if it is could I add some kind of a vent to flow the extra heat into the main house next to one of the windows? Is this possible to do in order to add more heat to my main house which is about 600 square feet and do they have a gadget that I can shut and open for the heat to enter the house from the porch? Of course the stove installer can tell me about this I imagine but wanted to know ahead of time to kind of gage this heater wondering if it is too big for the porch if I cannot vent it into the house. I would like to order the wood stove on Monday so I am trying to get a clear picture of this without bothering the installer because I want to buy my own wood stove instead of getting what he sells and that's a Osburn. I want to get this "Roby Sirius" and will order it on Monday "if I know what I am doing"? Is it too big for the space of 8x10 and can I vent the extra heat into the main house? That's my question right now.. I will let the wood stove installer do the double piping whatever and I am sure some kind of permits "whatever"but wanted to get just the right stove especially this one with two burners...I love it...Thanks..Take your time with this answer for I know some people are busy doing other things. Appreciate.. clancey

For my future wood burning (someday in time)--what kind of wood would I burn so that I can check it out for now.. I spoke to the stove installer and his office person is checking to see how this is to be done so they can give a estimate so that I can have a heart attack with the price so if I don't post in awhile maybe I had that heart attack.. Kidding here lol... I am getting a solid black wood stove and nothing fancy here but to tell you the truth I like the solid black one the best instead of the fancy chromes although that chrome tip is is pretty too.. Since I am going into debt for awhile I am excited and working on the project taking care of business here so what kind of wood would you people suggest so that I am sure it will be good and dry..? Thanks everyone..