Suggestions for a wood stove and cook top for emergencies.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I think before you order this stove you should post some pictures of where this porch will be in relation to your home. Why? Chimney draft that’s why. You could get yourself in a down draft situation coming off of your main roof. You want to avoid that. I am confident that if you could at least post some pictures of where your porch will be placed as well as a picture or two from the side of the house showing the main roof, then member @bholler could likely save you some additional headaches on chimney placement, types, proper chimney height, etc.

We all would like to see you happy with your install, and it needs to be right, and it needs to be safe. @bholler and others here are pretty knowledgeable of codes and safety regulations and they can help educate you so that you are better informed when dealing with your salesman.

Reactions: bholler
Considering all the wonderful advice I got I am changing my mind again----you people are mean to me making me change my mind so often but I have come to a conclusion I hope unless "one of you opens their stove top again' I am making a good one. Since I am very green at this and need to learn a lot of things about fires and their characteristics I want to start with a stove that might not be too intimidating to me and I must not forget the reason that I am getting one is just for emergencies of unknown kinds where all the power goes off. If I get a smaller one then I am more likely to learn from it and after the learning curve has passed then I will graduate and if still living do a larger one. I need something that I can make coffee on or a pot of beans as well----So I am buying the Jotul F 602 v2 and this i hope to do on Monday. I wish all of us was together in a cabin and we could all toast with a beverage---thank you very much and I will keep you informed. On April 12th the concrete will be laid on the 8 x 10 back porch and my carpenter will make another door that goes out to the driveway so that I can bring in wood easier from my pick up truck. These are the only real items that will happen at this time besides buying a jotul and dealing with the installer and seeing what we can negotiate with price. If this very nice man won't take at least one penny off I will walk away and bargain with another person. So I will keep you all posted as I watch this little thread and your other postings as well because I am finding them very very interesting and entertaining as well.. Thank you Mrs Clancey..

Thanks I sure will get some more pictures of what you asked about for I know how important safety is and I will have a "heads up" with the stove installer as well...I have a digital camera and might have to wait until tomorrow to post pictures on here for our sun is going down at this time and there is a bad glare..Pictures tomorrow Hoytman... I am going to try something here for there is another thread with two pictures on it but I will get better ones tomorrow if need be and let me try this...

Sorry about this jump around but I am not that computer literate and doing the best that I can... On the other thread which I brought up it is post 37. Thanks will get more pictures tomorrow too.. clancey

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
Just to give you an other thing to read , I send you some photos showing what we got for what my wife thinks could arrive one of these days , not survivalist but she wants to be ready ifffffffff... It's a small French antique cookstove, but we never used it after 3 yrs, and maybe will never use it but ifffffffffffff. Installed in the patios basement, btw, we took 1/2 of the patio 16 X 10 for the small living room and the rest became a smaller patio 16 X 10 instead of 16 X 20 initially. So the patio basement is 16 X 20. The height of your chimney should also be considered for your application and maybe a safe thing to ask to your insaller is how he will do the installation. Again , sorry but I can't avoid it : 8 X 10 is one of the smallest room for a wood stove = 80 sqf, my small living room is 160 sqf and it's considered very small, so make the right choice with the smallest stove you can get.

Attachments

• IMG_5388.JPG
    IMG_5388.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_5390.JPG
    IMG_5390.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 61908058_10214984080976015_2926450789754863616_n.jpg
    61908058_10214984080976015_2926450789754863616_n.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 121
What a beautiful set up that is and I know you get really cold in Canada and that piping is so tall on the outside and would not all the heat go up a cold pipe and be bad--just asking...That stove is really pretty and different and is that a oven type of deal on the right side and a firebox on the left---don't know its pretty though and just a wonderful size as well...Need to look at your dimensions again and take time to figure for at 75 my brain works slow and now I try to get my original thread on here--I am very bad with computers and it is #37 posting for the two pictures of my back porch..

You two really have done a wonderful job with your home and that back porch is really all you need --the outside part and it looks so pretty. Now the inside part is the same size as the backside part and your other heater you have in now is a small one--if I remember I think a little giant like the one I am going to buy---I think??? One question that I am going to ask people is "can I put in a vent or something through the wall or whatever from the porch where the heater will be and heat the rest of the house with it which is about 600 sq feet --you can see the wall of the main house through all the junk on the back area and I will have concrete 4 inches thick on the flooring instead of the river rock that is there now...I love my little home like you and your family loves yours and it shows---mine is pretty for me too but all you can see now is junk in the heater area--sorry about that but more pictures I will take tomorrow if need be..Lots of thinking with this installation and a lot to consider as well...Your home is lovely....I am going to stick with this small stove if I can in the way of safety and I feel it is the best one for me even if I have to heat the neighbors house--lol When I get more pictures tomorrow I cannot wait to see what that old Hoytman has to say as well as that other expert (they really are) with these things... Thanks Nortcan enjoyed the trip....clancey..

Some of my two pictures above post 37 on the other thread. Sorry about the jumping around with the two threads here for I do not know how to bring" just pictures" over at this time...clancey,

What a beautiful set up that is and I know you get really cold in Canada and that piping is so tall on the outside and would not all the heat go up a cold pipe and be bad--just asking...That stove is really pretty and different and is that a oven type of deal on the right side and a firebox on the left---don't know its pretty though and just a wonderful size as well...Need to look at your dimensions again and take time to figure for at 75 my brain works slow and now I try to get my original thread on here--I am very bad with computers and it is #37 posting for the two pictures of my back porch..

The chimney is for the small living room and is install acording to the Canadian code, so this chimney is for the little Squirrel. Because the Hearthstone Heritage in the living room heats the entire 3 floors, the small Morso was in for **emergencies**, for ambiance fires and also a little for fun, at 70 we must have some fun and wood fires are so good for that. Let me tell you that the Squirrel does all that and much more. I was also wondering if we could have down draft on a cold outside chimney ( we never had with the other stoves ) and with a so small stove but I especially lit the stove on cold chimney and small fires cause the stove is new, but no down draft not even fume from the first flames, the top/down method is the best for starting a cold stove on a cold chinmey. Yes it's an oven on the Chappée cookstove. As said before, the place is 16 X 10 and we would never have installed the cookstove in there. That said, I want you to believe me : I don't want to direc you on my specific installations, stove ...but just want to tell you to take all your time before to pull the trigger( I thing that you say so in US). Re-read all the good comments here from all the members. Bonne chance du Québec.

You two really have done a wonderful job with your home and that back porch is really all you need --the outside part and it looks so pretty. Now the inside part is the same size as the backside part and your other heater you have in now is a small one--if I remember I think a little giant like the one I am going to buy---I think??? One question that I am going to ask people is "can I put in a vent or something through the wall or whatever from the porch where the heater will be and heat the rest of the house with it which is about 600 sq feet --you can see the wall of the main house through all the junk on the back area and I will have concrete 4 inches thick on the flooring instead of the river rock that is there now...I love my little home like you and your family loves yours and it shows---mine is pretty for me too but all you can see now is junk in the heater area--sorry about that but more pictures I will take tomorrow if need be..Lots of thinking with this installation and a lot to consider as well...Your home is lovely....I am going to stick with this small stove if I can in the way of safety and I feel it is the best one for me even if I have to heat the neighbors house--lol When I get more pictures tomorrow I cannot wait to see what that old Hoytman has to say as well as that other expert (they really are) with these things... Thanks Nortcan enjoyed the trip....clancey..

Some of my two pictures above post 37 on the other thread. Sorry about the jumping around with the two threads here for I do not know how to bring" just pictures" over at this time...clancey,
You know, having a too big stove can be more dangerous than having a smaller one . If you have to chooke your stove cause it's too hot inside you will creosote all you installation...

Yea I know your right so I am once again at a stand still here but waiting to hear what the other people say--if I could vent this heat to another section of the main house or place it in the main house if I have too for I do want the no electric something for emergencies. I am not that dire for I do have a stand by generator that I love but wanted this in case a major power outage happens and with the politics of today for me things are worrisome if you know what I mean.. Also we could have emt and celestial things happening and the whole bit , I could go on and on and just having fun with you but I am a worry wort too,,,lol Thanks for the posting...clancey

Last edited:
Considering all the wonderful advice I got I am changing my mind again----you people are mean to me making me change my mind so often but I have come to a conclusion I hope unless "one of you opens their stove top again' I am making a good one. Since I am very green at this and need to learn a lot of things about fires and their characteristics I want to start with a stove that might not be too intimidating to me and I must not forget the reason that I am getting one is just for emergencies of unknown kinds where all the power goes off. If I get a smaller one then I am more likely to learn from it and after the learning curve has passed then I will graduate and if still living do a larger one. I need something that I can make coffee on or a pot of beans as well----So I am buying the Jotul F 602 v2 and this i hope to do on Monday. I wish all of us was together in a cabin and we could all toast with a beverage---thank you very much and I will keep you informed. On April 12th the concrete will be laid on the 8 x 10 back porch and my carpenter will make another door that goes out to the driveway so that I can bring in wood easier from my pick up truck. These are the only real items that will happen at this time besides buying a jotul and dealing with the installer and seeing what we can negotiate with price. If this very nice man won't take at least one penny off I will walk away and bargain with another person. So I will keep you all posted as I watch this little thread and your other postings as well because I am finding them very very interesting and entertaining as well.. Thank you Mrs Clancey..

I don't get out to Colorado very much but I'm always up for beans and beverages!

And yes, the locals here are frequently interesting. ;)

I'm worried about your plan to carry wood in from the pickup... anything coming off the pickup won't be dry, and the porch isn't big enough to store any wood! You need covered wood storage for couple-three years of wood, whatever that looks like for your usage.

Yea I have been thinking about the wood storage. The pick up truck would only be used to bring dry wood from a wood store to my porch and I figured about 20 pieces but someone posted that would not be enough (green here)..Then another person posted about those palet type of deal to where I could stack wood and cover it and I thought that was a good idea. I have no choice but to buy seasoned wood and them bring it here. I would love to cut my own and I have been saving little branches from my honey locust tree in a box and next time I have it trimmed I will get the wood but they are not logs so to speak but I will keep all the wood anyway--usually I just let the trimmer take it away. So I am thinking on it and that porch is not big enough to store wood too,, I could have a shed type of building built in the backyard kind of maybe like a lean too that would be kept dry for Colorado is a very dry state..But yea I am thinking on this very important function of having a wood stove and burning seasoned wood and not wet because of the black stuff clinging to the stove piping. I will get a water meter and check the wood out as well by splitting it in half with my ax. Thanks for the imput appreciate..clancey

How about something like this? Hate the long shape of it but it has two cooking areas and I can get it from Home Depot. What do you think for my first wood stove? I will not see the flame but I can watch my food get hot...lol

Just to give you an other thing to read , I send you some photos showing what we got for what my wife thinks could arrive one of these days , not survivalist but she wants to be ready ifffffffff... It's a small French antique cookstove, but we never used it after 3 yrs, and maybe will never use it but ifffffffffffff. Installed in the patios basement, btw, we took 1/2 of the patio 16 X 10 for the small living room and the rest became a smaller patio 16 X 10 instead of 16 X 20 initially. So the patio basement is 16 X 20. The height of your chimney should also be considered for your application and maybe a safe thing to ask to your insaller is how he will do the installation. Again , sorry but I can't avoid it : 8 X 10 is one of the smallest room for a wood stove = 80 sqf, my small living room is 160 sqf and it's considered very small, so make the right choice with the smallest stove you can get.
That's a cute stove, but I think it's for coal.

How about something like this? Hate the long shape of it but it has two cooking areas and I can get it from Home Depot.
I'd stay clear of those, thats what we call a single rate stove, no air adjustments it burns with the draft which can be dangerous if it gets to hot, also those stoves made by US stove - budget line are known for some manufacture defects and are of a poorer quality, made in china.

I think these stoves are not fire brick lined so the cheap cast iron sides could crack very easily, plus the long shape makes you lost precious sqf. We looked at the VC Aspen when looking for a small stove but in our 16 X 10 place it was too long and takes lot of place in. One other thing to consider is the code clearance from the stove and stove pipe to combusting walls... One thing is for shure, if you permit me a last opinion, ask to the installer/salesman ( maybe ask for a few different ones ) how thing will be set in your place, then you can see if you could not install a wood stove in the house and have more results using the stove. You talk about emergencies but suppose you fall in love with the stove heat, security, confort, vision of the fire with a cup of coffe.....Good luck

It all makes sense to me and I do want to see some fire in the stove but just thinking here because it was a cheaper one from Home Depot and just for the heck of it ran it by you all with "eagle eyes"..It sure does to me look like a coal stove but the insert side 18 inch logs, Working my brain overtime here. lol Thanks tomorrow I will talk to the installer people to see what they tell me and the stoves they sell is a Osburn or something but looks too big for my project and I think it has some electricity but not sure..Thanks everyone and have a real nice day. I really do at this time lean to the jotul f600v2 and I do think that this is the smallest stove that is out there besides the camping stoves. But what do I know?--lol...How about having a vent taking the extra heat to the rest of the house? Some nice person said that would be easy like "opening a door" and does anybody know about that having a vent to the rest of the main house? Could I have a extra pipe or something go through a wall into the house on that jotul and does the glass get dirty a lot. I am after a stove with some kind of a cook plate on it for this is one aspect I really like..Thanks everyone clancey.

Last edited:
Englander used to sell the 17VL which also would have been nice for this project. You might look around for a used Jotul F602CB or the Morso 1b. The 602s are not uncommon. If you need to reduce clearance, proper wall shielding can bring it down to 12".

I go back and forth between the two and which one would be better for small space the Morso has smaller logs 12 inch to put in and maybe this would make the wood dryer or easier to handle for me after I had someone else cut it for I think that I could split this with my small ax----gosh I am turning into a lumber jack here-lol..G.D. I am turning into one of you (splitting wood now)-hysterical now..lol lol Lets put it this way: Which one would be the best for venting to the house 8x10 porch and about 23x23 feet of main house plus a porch inside of 10x6 feet. If I could put some kind of vent straight through maybe (this question I will ask the installer) in order to heat the rest of the house if need be. But I want some type of shut off valve in case I do not want it to go to the main house. Which little wood stove would be best for my needs for they are both real worthy little stoves, (Morso vrs the jutul)..I like the Morso because I can see into it and it has a ash tray and it looks like two adjustments that confuse me. Which one is the safest and can I raise these up on a sturdy metal platform so that I will not have to bend down so far because of my old back. It is a hard decision for me to make but the bottom line is safety and clearances and stuff of that nature. The porch is 8x10 going to be enclosed and insulated with two windows maybe three depends (small one) and the height on one side is about high side 102 inches maybe to the beam--4 inches of concrete--maybe 98 inches and at the low side maybe 92-4inches=maybe 88 inches to the concrete new floor.. So with the height of the two stoves on the four inches of concrete how long would the stove pipe have to be legally and would it be insulated and how wide would it be as well. Which stove is the best one for this particular house. I like the morso because of viewing and the ash tray but the other stove is just as pretty but if the window gets real bad with dirt that won't be fun so which one would you all buy and which one would be the best one to vent into the main part of the house. If had be...Thanks everyone thinking hard here...clancey

How about something like this? Hate the long shape of it but it has two cooking areas and I can get it from Home Depot. What do you think for my first wood stove? I will not see the flame but I can watch my food get hot...lol

Nope those are horrible horrible stoves.

I'm on my fourth fire today with the Morso 1410 and believe me , I don't sell stoves, I tried many in the small living room, YOU choose the one you like the most but for us the Morso is the best one , easy to lite, easy to control the fire, and for the air knobs, only the upper one is functional. The lower one is for Eropean places when burning anthracite/coal, here it's welded so you only work with the upper one and I was amazed how easy that knob does exactly what you want to control the fire , small wood is so fun to work in the Squirrel.

Attachments

• IMG_6367.JPG
    IMG_6367.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 113
One more thing to care is the stoves footprint in your place and then add the distances to combustibles for the codes.
The Jotul 602 V2 = 12,7 X 21.25 inches
The Morso = 15 X 14.5 inches , almost square

Well I am having trouble finding a dealer for the Morso 1410. There were sellers but this little stove seems to be hard to find at this point unless I want to order it from another country.. The Jotul 602 is still around and might be the only stove that might be okay in my small space. Another poster on his thread brought up a Aspen for his small space and I like that now and am wondering about that stove and it does have a cooking plate on top of it---looks pretty niffy with a 10 burn time----hoping it has no electricity but I do not know but it looks pretty nice and here is a picture and information about it...

Also my favorite one that I spoke to Obadiah's about is completely off their website now and I cannot locate it unless I go to a old view advertising it alone so I am wondering "whats up" here... So far the only small one left to decide on seems to be the jotul 602 ..Working hard taking care of business here trying to figure out what wood stove to get for my small area...This is hard work...Thank you nortcan and that stove is a nice one but can't seem to find anybody statewide to sell it right now..Problems and more Problems I have but some kind of a stove is coming..lol...We got plenty of time..clancey

I think that the 1410B , 2B-Standart,2B-Classic, should be the only Morso in that small size EPA available actually, Morso like many other companies is changing thing to comply to the new rules. Did you click on Morso USA to see who sell Morso in your area? I got the 1410 in a luck, it was a floor model unsold so I didn't hesitated and got a good price on it and it is a very nice stove to operate, it has also a shaker grate you activate with a tool you get with the stove to send the ash down in the ash pan. We also looked at the VC Aspen and the VC Intrepid but they were way too big in BTU for our place, and they take too much space . Anyways, actually the Squirrel keeps the entire first floor at 23*+ C or 73.4 F and that is at about 1/4 maybe 1/2 of its capacity so with the Aspen or the Intrepid it would be over hot in the entire first floor having a total of almost 1,000sqf. Did you have a look at the eco-fans to move the heat out of your porch without electricity? You just put it on the top of the stove and the heat activates the fan, there are many models with 2, 3, 4... fan blades, you can see many models on Amazon .

Yea this is a few places that I want to check out maybe tomorrow for I want the squirrel one and not the others because one is too high and the other is too long.. One place everything I went to look at their products a sign came up--we are hiring...that was fun..They had some in VC Canada but there are two places tomorrow and I am going to talk with my installer as well tomorrow for I ask them to call me..The closest one to me is Rocky Mountain but they took it off their website and last week it was on and then the next dealer just dropped listing it for some reason..They are push the jotul it seems now..At least I will get the porch ready and just keep looking for something so there is plenty of time..Those eco fans are neat yea I saw them and even asked about them and some poster wondered about their air flow for they look so small and I wondered too but they are neat..Tomorrow I will have a better grip on this situation and now my mind is off of stoves for awhile and thinking about the work of the preparation for the stove and on April 12 they will lay the concrete and my carpenter has to put screws or bolts or something in the concrete--don't really know and I want him to help me design that room because I would like any store put up higher if it is possible to do that and keep a good running stove with a shorter distance for the vent pipe to go out..Tomorrow is another day and thank you everybody for your help it was well thought of--thanks..I will keep you all posted and Nortcan so glad you and your family have your nice little stove to keep you warm...clancey

Reactions: nortcan