Suggestions for a wood stove and cook top for emergencies.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
For my future wood burning (someday in time)--what kind of wood would I burn so that I can check it out for now.. I spoke to the stove installer and his office person is checking to see how this is to be done so they can give a estimate so that I can have a heart attack with the price so if I don't post in awhile maybe I had that heart attack.. Kidding here lol... I am getting a solid black wood stove and nothing fancy here but to tell you the truth I like the solid black one the best instead of the fancy chromes although that chrome tip is is pretty too.. Since I am going into debt for awhile I am excited and working on the project taking care of business here so what kind of wood would you people suggest so that I am sure it will be good and dry..? Thanks everyone..
Pretty much any wood you buy now will probably be to wet to burn this year. If you are buying for next year you will want faster drying species like pine hemlock cherry softer maples. Ash drys pretty fast as well. Oak hickory locust and other denser hardwoods give you more btus per piece but also take longer to dry. And you don't need to keep it inside outside with decent wind and sun exposure stacked off the ground (most of us use pallets) and a cover just on the top.

That's good thank you...Is there such a things as wood being too old for I do not want to buy too much just a start to have in a emergency like maybe about 10 pieces about 17 inches long on top of some pallets and the porch is real sunny as well and CO is real dry.. I am going to put another door on the porch to bring in lumber from the driveway more easily with my pickup truck . I wish I could go out and cut it but I cannot do that for I am too old at this point but if I was younger I would be out there looking for some scrapes laying around.. How about trash branches of wood like Honey Locust or something like that...Thanks...When I have my tree trimmed I can get some of that and it is tree trimming time soon. A thirty year old tree.. Thanks..clancey

Most woods can be burnt without issue. The only ones that cannot generally have the word poison in their name... poison ivy, poison oak, etc.

Generally, you burn what is available and that's usually what grows in your area. Many people use a moisture meter on their firewood to tell how seasoned their firewood is. If your wood isnt dry enough, compressed sawdust bricks are available in some stores.

10 pieces of wood will last an evening. You may want to plan on more wood.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Jotul 602 versus a wood cookstove. Before you believe a 602 is a more powerful heater perhaps you should call Obadiah’s and ask them.

Jotul 602 versus a wood cookstove. Before you believe a 602 is a more powerful heater perhaps you should call Obadiah’s and ask them.
He isn't looking for more power nessecarily. He is looking for a good fit.

They are both wonderful heaters and that jotul (little giant) is a wonderful heater and that was my first choice "until" I fell in love with the Roby Sirius because of the log lengths which is 18 and a nice size stove width as well which is almost 27 inches across for I do not want to be too crunch in to put wood in the stove. I am also happy about the two cooking burners so that I can have oatmeal and coffee cooking at the same time. I do not really care about the power because this is only a emergency set up for my piece of mind and now I am going to learn to use it and I just love the design of it to where I can see the fire and have a ash pan too.. I do not want too much of a stove for a 8x10 space and that's why I asked about that piping into the main house of 600 sq feet just in case I have too much of a stove. My stove installation man did not get back to me but left a message that he will call Monday and I will have more information especially about the estimate and I have a feeling I will be sticker shocked just like another poster on here where he saw the price of his stove and connection---I have a feeling I will be in the same boat but I will try to negotiate the price down a bit..I am going to have a concrete floor and I think I will just put the stove on that without raising it because of uneven height level with the rest of the room but the back wall I want in brick for I think that will look pretty. I"m excited Hoytman and thanks for thinking about the power of these two stoves and I appreciate. I could get chrome legs or chrome corners but I like the plain black the best although the chrome is pretty too. I spoke to Obadiah's and they are working with me and very nice people as well and this will be part of my negotiation with my stove installer among other jobs that I might ask him if he could do (I feel sorry for him)---lol lol . I will be in debt somewhat but it is a peace of mind that I am after just in case something happens like in Texas I want to be prepared so this learning and buying is very important to me. You people have been wonderful with the knowledge and encouragement and wood training and the whole bit and when I get the price I will share it with you so that you can be up to date..There are permits etc etc..and we have a long way to go with this but one thing is "I got free shipping" and this is good--maybe they give it to everybody who knows but that's what I did get today. Oh boy, Oh boy, Yes--Thanks everybody for the gracious help. clancey.

Last edited:
Never said he was looking for more power.

My point was to call Obadiah’s and ask them if the 602 could out perform any of their cookstoves...before simply believing it. You might be surprised

Last edited:
Never said he was looking for more power.

My point was to call Obadiah’s and ask them if the 602 could out perform any of their cookstoves heating a home as was eluded to in this thread.
He is not trying to heat a home he is trying to heat an enclosed porch. A very small stove like the jotul is probably better suited to that

I do not know but that is a good question to ask Obadiah and next time I talk to these people it might be Monday I will ask and now I am curious like you. I check out the jotul on the specifics and it said--covers 800 sq feet of heating and the cook stove Roby covers 500--1800 sq feet of heating.. But I will ask them on Monday and let you know for I am curious as well now...Thanks..chancey

Ben, I don’t disagree with your last post above. Wasn’t speaking to the OP. Go back and read some of the other statements and you might understand what I posted and why. Meanwhile, I’m going to read through it all again myself.

I’ll put it this way, there are plenty of cookstoves that work exceptionally well as space heaters and to say they could not keep up with a 602 is something a person might want to ask Obadiah’s.

Last edited:
Ben, I don’t disagree with your last post above. Wasn’t speaking to the OP. Go back and read some of the other statements and you might understand what I posted and why. Meanwhile, I’m going to read through it all again myself.

I’ll put it this way, there are plenty of cookstoves that work exceptionally well as space heaters and to say they could not keep up with a 602 is something a person might want to ask Obadiah’s.
In that case you are absolutely correct. There are without a doubt many cookstoves that can out heat the tiny jotul.

I'll tell you everybody that when I get the estimate on this install I am going to out heat Everybody... Thanks everyone and have a nice night... Mrs. Clancey.....See what tomorrow brings...God Bless..

Plenty, by far.
In another recent post on another thread, and in just a slightly bigger space than is needed in this situation, I suggested a stove much smaller than a 602...and I’d recommend the smaller than 602 stoves in this case as well. For 8x10...even the 602 is likely too big, but it certainly won’t be too little. Rest easy, all.

Last edited:
Yea I checked out the Lopi endeavor plus the Lopi 1250 which is the smaller one and these stoves are very nice but just did have the right feel or something and at the time I was looking for pellet stoves involving gravity fed ones like the wiseway. Lopi is a nice looking wood stove and well made but the cooking plates on the Roby was the deciding factor plus the straightness of the design--just knew it was for me...lol The endeavor was I think over 400 pounds and too heavy but my memory could fail me. All these stoves are beautiful but when I saw the Roby Sirius I just knew that was the stove for me--lol.. Heck if it is too large I heat the neighbors house--kidding. The Morso was a nice stove too but wrong shape or something---------All these stoves have been wonderful to look at but now I made the decision going with that Roby Sirius and will keep you all informed with my progress--so far I got free shipping--Yes...Thanks for your help everyone. clancey

I do not know but that is a good question to ask Obadiah and next time I talk to these people it might be Monday I will ask and now I am curious like you. I check out the jotul on the specifics and it said--covers 800 sq feet of heating and the cook stove Roby covers 500--1800 sq feet of heating.. But I will ask them on Monday and let you know for I am curious as well now...Thanks..chancey
I bought my cookstove from Obadiahs, talk to Sarah, she will answer all of your questions.

Reactions: Hoytman
Ultimately its your call. IMHO, this is a small space and getting a woodstove that holds longer wood is temptation to try to do long burns (and creosote) as the alternative with large wood is overheating the space. I have seen a 602 heat much larger spaces and in your case if the space is truly as small as you claim you need the smallest physical footprint and clearance you can get as otherwise its recipe for encroaching on the clearances and getting into a potential fire situation.

Moving heat from the porch to the house can be as simple as opening the door to the porch.

Although this forum is full of posts with titles like "Why doesn't my stove put out any heat", and the answer turns out to be because it's outside on the porch/sunroom.

I would caution you against expecting to heat a house with a space heater that is located outside the house. Any stove in that situation just has a lot going against it (radiant loss from radiating directly into many windows plus an insulated exterior wall between it and the porch.

A cookstove on a porch can be used in the summer without heating up the house, so it's not without benefits- but think about whether that money and effort should result in a stove on the porch, or one more centrally located that can heat the whole house. (No wrong answers here, it's your house.)

Last edited:
To me, the space you have to heat 8x10 (I suppose it's not in metric ) is very and very small. My small living room is 10 x 16 and has a sliding door, 3 large windows, is North oriented, I'm in Québec and the Morso Squirrel will be big enough to heat the place without problem. There is a large opening with 2 sliding doors opening to the rest of the first floor, and even with a complex air moving system, the place gets warm easily. That is what makes me tell that you need a very very small stove. I don't know your needs for emergencies but having a cooking stove or a standing stove in the place could cook you faster than the meals you want cook.

I get pretty warm cooking on my wood burning cookstove, so that is definitely something to keep in mind.

Reactions: Hoytman
Pretty much any wood you buy now will probably be to wet to burn this year. If you are buying for next year you will want faster drying species like pine hemlock cherry softer maples. Ash drys pretty fast as well. Oak hickory locust and other denser hardwoods give you more btus per piece but also take longer to dry. And you don't need to keep it inside outside with decent wind and sun exposure stacked off the ground (most of us use pallets) and a cover just on the top.
In Colorado, there are different choices and it's a much drier climate. If you get softwood like fir, spruce or pine delivered split now and stack it there is a good chance it will be dry by late October. I now get green doug fir delivered in March and it is ready to burn by Nov 1, but these are thick splits for a large stove. Thinner splits for a smaller stove will dry quicker.

Ultimately its your call. IMHO, this is a small space and getting a woodstove that holds longer wood is temptation to try to do long burns (and creosote) as the alternative with large wood is overheating the space. I have seen a 602 heat much larger spaces and in your case if the space is truly as small as you claim you need the smallest physical footprint and clearance you can get as otherwise its recipe for encroaching on the clearances and getting into a potential fire situation.
We have the F602 in a 12'x20' greenhouse that is insulated on the back wall and half the roof. The windows are double-pane. In 20+º weather I can run the stove continually and not overheat the space, but it would be a challenge to not overheat in 40º weather.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Considering all the wonderful advice I got I am changing my mind again----you people are mean to me making me change my mind so often but I have come to a conclusion I hope unless "one of you opens their stove top again' I am making a good one. Since I am very green at this and need to learn a lot of things about fires and their characteristics I want to start with a stove that might not be too intimidating to me and I must not forget the reason that I am getting one is just for emergencies of unknown kinds where all the power goes off. If I get a smaller one then I am more likely to learn from it and after the learning curve has passed then I will graduate and if still living do a larger one. I need something that I can make coffee on or a pot of beans as well----So I am buying the Jotul F 602 v2 and this i hope to do on Monday. I wish all of us was together in a cabin and we could all toast with a beverage---thank you very much and I will keep you informed. On April 12th the concrete will be laid on the 8 x 10 back porch and my carpenter will make another door that goes out to the driveway so that I can bring in wood easier from my pick up truck. These are the only real items that will happen at this time besides buying a jotul and dealing with the installer and seeing what we can negotiate with price. If this very nice man won't take at least one penny off I will walk away and bargain with another person. So I will keep you all posted as I watch this little thread and your other postings as well because I am finding them very very interesting and entertaining as well.. Thank you Mrs Clancey..

Reactions: jetsam and SpaceBus