Suggestions for replacing Heatilator EC36

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmitty115

Mar 26, 2016
Michigan
I currently have (2) Heatilator EC36 gas log fireplaces in my home. My first concern is replacing one that is in a home office. The office is approx. 15x15 with a vaulted ceiling that is approx. 12ft at the peak. The reason I am looking to replace the current unit is due to the temperature of the room compared to the rest of the house. Windows in the room were just replaced, just recently had a thermal image of the room and the fireplace is the source of most of the heat loss. The dimensions of the current set up are listed below:
Front (measured inside the bricks) = 29.5"
Depth (from back wall to front lip) = 17"
Back Wall = 20"
Height (from front lip to bottom of top venting) = 15"
I have looked at HNG Escape I30, FXP, Kozy Heat and a few others. Unfortunately due to the height limitations nothing I listed above will work. I came across a Napoleon GDIZC insert today that seems like it would fit my current opening. Wondering if anyone had any feedback on the Napoleon inserts along with any others that may fit my limited opening? I was not able to see that actual model in person but was able to see other Napoleon inserts in action and did like the flame presentation. My concern with doing an insert only in this room is if it will actually correct our issue of the room being much colder than others when the fireplace is not in operation. We have another Heatilao EC36 in our family room but I would probably have the entire unit replaced since that room is much larger and we would like a larger field of view. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

You can remove ALL the refractory & should be able to remove SOME of the existing sheet metal in the Heatilator ZC unit in order to increase the size of the opening. That will allow you to install a larger insert in the box, if that's the route you want to follow.
It might be better to do a complete tear-out & replace the wood burner with a newer, efficient gas fireplace.
That way you can put whatever sized unit you want in there...It IS a little more costly, based on the amount of labor involved,
but if you're planning on staying in the house for a number of years, it might be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.