Suggestions for woods truck under $2500 - Chevy/Ford/Dodge?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosetrek

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
CA in the Sierras
OK so I'm soon to be looking for a truck. Main purpose will be firewood, lumber, occasional towing and hauling, etc. Requirements are 4WD, 3/4 ton or 1 ton. Otherwise open to whatever I find. Any opinions on motors / trannys / etc. appreciated. I've had several Fords and liked them, but never an older Dodge or Chevy. Leaning toward another Ford, prob. early-mid 90s, but wanted to see who's had what and liked / hated it? Price limit is $2500. Thanks!

Ford or Dodge diesel. Preferably an 80's Cummins Dodge. You can find them in that price range with ragged bodies. A ford you can probably find in that price and diesel.

With 20 year old vehicles, I think that overall condition is what you are looking for. Without regard to make. Gas powered gives you a much larger selection from which to choose. A manual transmission is more reliable in a truck of that vintage. Fords and Chevvy parts are cheaper. A truck that has not been used on a farm or for construction or for towing would be preferable, that would indicate looking for someone's daily driver, maybe in town.

Thanks for the good ideas, definitely prefer manual if I can find one; Fords came with a ZF-5 tranny that's pretty sturdy (and better than the E40D auto). Anyone have experience with the Ford 6.9 or the Chevy 6.2 diesels? I know the Dodge 5.9 cummins is legendary, but around here they go for a small fortune even beat to heck. The altitude makes a small-block gasser pretty anemic at 9000'+, so if I go gas I might go big block, and just suck up the lower gas mpg (pun intended).

My friends Chevy diesel has 330,000 miles on it and needs heads about as often as oil changes. I would just stay away from a non-Duramax Chevy diesel.

My choice would of course be 4x4. But besure to get one with a heavy duty differential. Of all the Chevy's I've had it has been the first thing I've been able to blow out (grind to power). Of course I was probably doing something the truck was not designed to do by way of the old addage: "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.".

The altitude will also effect the non-turbo diesels that you mention, the 6.2 and 6.9. On diesel, with altitude, skip it if there is no turbo. I would look for a pre99 ford f350 with the gas 460 and manual trans. They are very common around here. Always pick the 350 version since even in single rear wheel models, the stickered ratings are much higher.

2500 isn't much budget for what you want.

That's what I'm leaning toward too - the added benefit of the F350 is a solid front axle vs the TTB F250 version. It's not much $, but I'm not picky on body condition, amentities, mileage, etc. and I assume I'll need $ for tires, steel for bumpers, and minor repairs. I've seen a few older F250 Highboys for sale, but not sure how carbed compares to fuel-injected at altitude? A 390 with front and rear Dana 60s and the Highboy kit would be great for accessibility, but at 200 miles round trip for wood it'd need to haul a heck of a load since I'd expect 5-6 mpg.

Can't go wrong with a dodge. Own 2 2500 diesels...can't kill em. 12 valve diesel is the way to go. 94-97 if available. Don't be shy of the dodge auto trans. Beat my 94 to hell plowing snow and it just kept on bangn' away. My 01 I have had loaded to the hilt with wood and other stuff...handles the weight like it is not even there and with the 24 valve cummins and nv5600 6 spd it will tow the empire state building. yea maybe a 3500 would be better but to me the only thing they change is the GVW sticker on the door. Never a fan of the International diesel in the ford...hard to start in the cold and am just not a chevy fan. The Isuzu diesel just does not hold up in the long haul. I know i sound like a dodge add but Ford, Chevy and Dodge all have ups and downs. Not one is better than the other...well exept Dodge ( ha ha )

Yeah, I'm leanin' toward the Ford. I've got a new Dodge diesel that I can't take the payments on it anymore, so it's gotta go. I love the power and the torque, but I hate taking it in the woods. Plus all my farm critters are gone, so I don't use it for hay etc. like I used to. Doin' some downsizing so once she sells I'll get a cheap outfit that I can dent and not feel sorry about. Not too many rust probs out here, low humidity and not much salt; nothing like the northeast. Thanks for all the advice - anyone have experience with the Dodge 360 or the V10? Dodge diesel's are out of my range I think, most want about $4-5K for them. Wish I'd kept my old 96 Powerstroke but live and learn they say.

moosetrek said:
OK so I'm soon to be looking for a truck. Main purpose will be firewood, lumber, occasional towing and hauling, etc. Requirements are 4WD, 3/4 ton or 1 ton. Otherwise open to whatever I find. Any opinions on motors / trannys / etc. appreciated. I've had several Fords and liked them, but never an older Dodge or Chevy. Leaning toward another Ford, prob. early-mid 90s, but wanted to see who's had what and liked / hated it? Price limit is $2500. Thanks!

I just got a 92 F250, 351w, ZF 5spd, 4x4, ext cab, mech sound for $1500 here in Denver. Love the truck so far...1st gear with the ZF is LOW, lots of torque when pulling a trailer full of wood or something. There are LOTS of similar priced/spec'd trucks in this market (Denver metro). Ft Collins would be worthwhile as well and closer to you. But as far as trucks, I would go for a late eighties/early nineties F250/F350 with either the C6 auto or ZF manual. The 300I6 is supposed to be rock solid its just hard to find a 4x4 F250 with that motor. I've heard to avoid the 460 because of poor gas mileage and not a whole lot of power gained but there are a lot of older F250-F350 with that engine still kicking. 7.3 power stroke is good but hard to find in that price range. The F350s have the Dana 60 front axle which is a plus. Similar Chevy's (2500 or 3500) would probably treat ya good too theres just not nearly as many of them to choose from.

Hi
I'v got a 1990 chev crewcab true one ton,extra springs in the rear,tough soild front axle,auto and 6.2 diesel.
I'v owned trucks since i'v got my license,and this is the toughest and best one i'v owned.Will not upgrade to anyother truck till there is nothing left of this one,i have two parts trucks so it should last till i lose my license.
The reason's for above.
Paid $500 for it with an overheated engin,lost the block heater.I relaced the heads myself for less than $1000
Great website supporting the GM diesel..Thedieselpage.com
I get 17 miles per gal towing tandem axle trailer loaded,so long as you don't try to drive over the speed limit.
The 6.2/6.5 diesel engine is simple to work on,and parts are cheep,i can buy a replacement engine for the cost of an injector job on a new diesel.
Common misconseption is these motors are no good,which makes parts cheep.The US army has been using this engin family for decades,if it was a piece of crap they would have dumped it years ago.
Have hauled a combined load of truck and trailer in excess of 24K# with no problems,just don't expect to break any speed limits.
I can take it in the bush and not worry about breaking hundreds of dollars of plastic.
It actually has bumpers you can push stuff with,or hook stuff to.
This was the last real truck that GM built,it's tough and it's all truck no sissy independent front axle,no electric windows,seats,onstar,climate control ect.Just truck,and ugly too,my wife wouln't drive it unless she has no other choice.
Another option for cheep truck is to watch insurance sales,just working on the opposite truck for my wife.
Picked up a rolled 03 sierra for less than $500,this one is loaded with all options,wireing nightmare when thing begin to fail.So far i have fixed the roof and replaced the windsield $190
now i need a fender hood and grill,probly about $1000 in parts.It's a crewcab short box.But parts are expencive for this one,the fancy mirrors are $1100 each new,bet they break real easy too.The motor for the fancy seat is $700 new ouch.What was wrong with a $3 leaver and a peice of wire.
Anyhow get a real truck for hauling wood from the bush,then you can enjoy yourself while gettin wood,i would be afraid to take a newer truck where i go.It would cost thousands to replace all the parts that the trees would kill.
My .02
Thomas

Serious point here....are you good with a wrench? If you are shopping at that price point the answer had better be yes. HD 4x4 trucks can be near that price in poor condition. If the answer is no, you might be better off going a little higher. A 2k truck can turn into a 4k truck pretty quick if you can't repair it yourself.

Diesel is good for power, but for local runs it may not be worth the cash. Repairs tend to be more costly too so keep that in mind.

I'm a ford guy but each brand has their merits. I think it would also behoove you to have a qualified mechanic that you trust inspect it before you pull the trigger on a very, very used vehicle.

Lukem - I have some experience turning wrenches though far from a pro; just basic motor swaps, clutches, oil pumps, diffs, etc. I also have a shop and tools (or access to tools) I need for most jobs. i'm also ok checking out vehicle conditions. I'm mostly looking for what others have found reliable and capable outfits - if I find a good rig I don't mind putting reasonable sweat and parts into it.

Over my years I've owned the following 3/4 ton trucks: 90 F250 (351 / ZF-5), 02 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 (8.1 / Allison), 97 F250 Powerstroke (E40D), current 08 Ram 2500 (Cummins / Aisin) and all had pluses and minuses. However, I've never had an older Dodge or Chevy. I guess I'm Chevy and Dodge-challenged, and looking for comparisons. It sounds like the consensus is Ford (based on most of the replies), and there seem to be several available these days. I can probably get a much better condition gas truck dollar for dollar, so unless it's a smokin' deal (haha) I'll look for another older Ford gasser.

moosetrek said:
Lukem - I have some experience turning wrenches though far from a pro; just basic motor swaps, clutches, oil pumps, diffs, etc. I also have a shop and tools (or access to tools) I need for most jobs. i'm also ok checking out vehicle conditions. I'm mostly looking for what others have found reliable and capable outfits - if I find a good rig I don't mind putting reasonable sweat and parts into it.

Over my years I've owned the following 3/4 ton trucks: 90 F250 (351 / ZF-5), 02 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 (8.1 / Allison), 97 F250 Powerstroke (E40D), current 08 Ram 2500 (Cummins / Aisin) and all had pluses and minuses. However, I've never had an older Dodge or Chevy. I guess I'm Chevy and Dodge-challenged, and looking for comparisons. It sounds like the consensus is Ford (based on most of the replies), and there seem to be several available these days. I can probably get a much better condition gas truck dollar for dollar, so unless it's a smokin' deal (haha) I'll look for another older Ford gasser.

Sounds like you know what you're up against....good for you.

We had and old dodge with a 12v on the farm I worked on for a while. Can't remember the year. 330k miles on original hubs, trans case, tranny, and motor. It hard a hard life but didn't quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.