Suggestions /help picking a stove pretty please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Early4dinner

Oct 16, 2017
Virginia
Looking for woodstove to heat a 960ft modular home in virginia (shorter version of a New England winter) Would like for it to be the primary source of heat. Non cat. Not cast iron, burn all night, glass door, no excessive decorations, not super modern looking. Built to last. I hope I'm not breaking the rules on asking about what stove to buy. I hope I narrowed it down enough to get a few solid suggestions, at the moment all of the brands to research is a little over whelming.

Honestly with only 960 sq/ft. And needing to burn over night I would recommend a cat stove. They are just much better at lower heatoutput. To keep from overheating that space with a non cat you will either need a small stove or small fires in a larger one which doesn't give you very long burn times

This is a tough one giving your parameters of a relatively small space and wanting an overnight burn since folks who load at night and wake up to a warm stove and coals generally achieve this with either a cat stove or a stove with a large firebox ... in your case going with a non cat, larger stove would probably blast you out of the home. Personally I would recommend a cat stove ...,or realize an overnight burn might not be achievable.

Reactions: redktmrider
So what would be a good tough, cat stove, with a nice view and wood doesn't roll out the door but still is oriented east west. Other thing I thought was there are lots of windows, one is 19" away. And a large heat sink of a picture widow next to that. I'd really prefer to error on the side of too warm. Lived in chilly homes all my life:)

Also
would prefer it to have better tolerances to combustibles. I could do a thin brick backer but i would rather steer towards the simple what's already there Sheetrock. if you can get one that is still a bit big and conserve the space in an already small house, that would be a better fit for us I think.

Looking for woodstove to heat a 960ft modular home in virginia (shorter version of a New England winter) Would like for it to be the primary source of heat. Non cat. Not cast iron, burn all night, glass door, no excessive decorations, not super modern looking. Built to last. I hope I'm not breaking the rules on asking about what stove to buy. I hope I narrowed it down enough to get a few solid suggestions, at the moment all of the brands to research is a little over whelming.
Look at stoves in the 1.6-2.0 cu ft range. There are many non-cat stoves in this range like the Jotul F45, Quadrafire 3100, Pacific Energy Spectrum, Enviro Kodiak 1200, Englander 13NC, Lopi Answer, etc..

Reactions: Sailrmike
I dunno about local to you dealers but the Blaze King Boxer 24 might be worth a look.

Its the same epa cert firebox as the 25 series fireplace inserts, but packaged as a free standing stove.

As above, overnight burns in a small stove is a tough nut to crack. You could maybe focus on scrounging wood with a long coaling stage so you are waking up to hot coals.

A steel stove with a cast iron surround to buffer the heat output might be an option. Try looking at the Pacific energy t4. It'll give off the heat slower, and hold it longer. On that idea, have you considered soapstone?

i like the style of jotel f45 but it gets one pretty nasty review and two good reviews. I guy said it doesn't put out enough heat. I would prefer a hot stove, I am inclined to believe that as another friend said the same thing about a new jotul stove his parents bought. i will check out the blaze if h and t4 thanks

I dunno about local to you dealers but the Blaze King Boxer 24 might be worth a look.

Its the same epa cert firebox as the 25 series fireplace inserts, but packaged as a free standing stove.

As above, overnight burns in a small stove is a tough nut to crack. You could maybe focus on scrounging wood with a long coaling stage so you are waking up to hot coals.
The Boxer 24 will be produced in the first Q of 2018. It is not mobile home approved as it does not have a fresh air kit attached to the firebox. (Air intake is at the front of the unit). Suggest Sirocco 20 instead.

i like the style of jotel f45 but it gets one pretty nasty review and two good reviews. I guy said it doesn't put out enough heat. I would prefer a hot stove, I am inclined to believe that as another friend said the same thing about a new jotul stove his parents bought. i will check out the blaze if h and t4 thanks

Bear in mind that when folks say a stove doesn't put out much heat . . .

. . . you need to be sure they have sized the stove correctly and didn't just buy the stove because they thought it was the right size for their living room or they liked the design (I followed some folk's advice here years ago and figured out the square footage of the house, looked at the stoves and went with a stove rated for the next size up)

. . . you need to be sure they are running their stove correctly. I cannot tell you how many times folks have come here after running an old woodstove for year and they complain about their modern stove not being very hot and then when you ask if they turned down the air once the stove was at temp (something that seems counter-intuitive if you want more heat) you find out that they left the air wide open . . . wide open = big flames, but generally not as much heat coming off the stove

. . . you need to see if they were burning truly seasoned wood . . . or wood that they thought was seasoned, was told was seasoned or was "seasoned" by their definition which may be wood cut, split and thrown in a pile for the past three months.

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody