sumac vs posion sumac

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobTheTomato

Oct 16, 2006
I have access to several trees that I have been told are sumac. How do I tell if it is regular sumac or posion sumac?

Stag horn sumac has the red conical berries, we use the trees as ornamentals...very pretty when it snows on them. Poison sumac has white berries and grows West of the Miss river. You can Google it to get a pic.

Poison sumac grows to the east of the Mississippi too. It is a wetland plant and is usually found in and around wetlands, drainage areas and other low lying wet areas.

Staghorn can get big, for a small to medium sized tree - but not sure that wood is worth burning except for in a brush pile.

sullystull said:
You may have Ailanthus altissima. Commonly referred to as tree of heaven. A non-native known to grow up to 20 ft in a year.

UUhhg. We have those things all over the property in VA. What a worthless weed of a tree. They can't be killed by conventional means. They aren't even good to burn except in a bon fire.

There invasive and I mulch them with the brush hog. Cannot imagine burning them, you must be looking at some other kind of tree.

Cut it up making sure you get the juice all over you. If in a day or so you DO NOT develop a rash, it wasn't poison Sumac.

I had a field full of sumac, and had the same worry. After I did not develop a rash, I was confident it was the mild kind. I also googled it to be sure.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.