Summer dried water Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BamamanFL

Oct 18, 2019
NW Florida
Hey guys,
First post here, and I apologize right off the bat if this has been covered, but I do have a question concerning some Water Oak I split back in June. Real quick side note: I'm brand new to the stove world; just had ours installed in August, and finally we've gotten to use it because it's cooled down in the South to the point we can, in the morning/evening at least. My neighbor is an old hat at this and has had his stove for decades, so he's been helpful. I digress.

My other neighbor had some Water Oak cut back in June; I took most of it, split it, added some diamotaceous Earth to keep the bugs off it, and have had it covered and off the ground ever since. My moisture meter has been giving me readings of ~17%, and that's in the middle of the pieces. We've used some of it for kindling, and thus far it seems to burn like a champ. I've been blending it with some kiln dried longleaf pine that I get for free from a local pole mill.

So, I've been reading that it takes at least a year for is seasoning... But my wood seems to have seasoned quite fast. Is this normal? Bear in mind, I live in the deep South, temps here this summer exceeded 100°F on several occasions, the wood has been tarped the entire time, and oh.... Until this week, we've been in a drought.

Just trying to avoid unnecessary creosote!
Thoughts?

I'm not familiar with water oak, but 17% moisture content is pretty rare in such a short time for most every tree species . . . not to mention in a place like the south which is hot, but also known for its humidity.

Did you first split the split that you were tested and test the moisture inside . . . most every other way only will give you surface moisture readings.

It might have been cut standing dead and was almost dried out before it was cut, do you know if it was standing dead?

No way, Jose, on green oak down here in Dixie. It must have been dead standing.

Thanks for the replies. This was from some large branches that fell off a big water oak in a windstorm... I probably should have clarified that from the outset. So yes, it could have been dead standing. Bear in mind, again though... All of September and half of October, it was as dry as the Sahara down here. And in September, we were running 105F several days straight. That couldn't have hurt!

I'm not familiar with water oak, but 17% moisture content is pretty rare in such a short time for most every tree species . . . not to mention in a place like the south which is hot, but also known for its humidity.

Did you first split the split that you were tested and test the moisture inside . . . most every other way only will give you surface moisture readings.
Did that and yes, it's at those numbers. From the other comments... It must've been dead already and that would explain why the limb fell in the first place.

If you are confident in your numbers you are good to go...dont expect these numbers from fresh cut oak and especially water oak! I have cut several here and water came from the cuts! It took close to 3.5 years to reach 17%! If you plan on burning full time you better get busy with your CSS program in a hurry or you will be in for a rude awakening!

It might have been cut standing dead and was almost dried out before it was cut, do you know if it was standing dead?
Thanks for the replies. This was from some large branches that fell off a big water oak in a windstorm...
There are a lot of variables, I'd think. For example, I just dropped a White Ash that stood dead for about five years, yet very little of it was below 25+%, only the top branches <5". Now, this tree had a fairly big rotted area on one side, so maybe the punk there held water for the rest of the wood to draw up..?
All of September and half of October, it was as dry as the Sahara down here. And in September, we were running 105F several days straight. That couldn't have hurt!
I remember one rare summer here, very hot with +90 days frequent over three months, and quite a few over 100. I would look on NWS and the humidity in the afternoon would be about 20%, unheard of here. I didn't do a scientific study, but it seemed like the faster-drying woods I had stacked, splits got noticeably lighter over the span of those months..