Summers heat 3000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tjones2507

Sep 24, 2014
Indiana
Any input in these? I would really love you put one in my "garage/shop". Lowes has them on sale again. Is it illegal to put on in my garage ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Illegal for what reason? The 2015 EPA regs were for installation in a residence I think.

Solid fuel heaters in a garage are illegal per the fire code. Stop calling it a garage, call it a shop.

I would call it my shop but what happens when my vehicles are parked in it all the time doesn't that make it a garage ?

I wouldn't put a wood stove in there then. It's not safe with potential fumes and such.

But a vehicle just sitting there isn't letting off fumes right? The gas cans and other flammable things are stored in a different building ... I also heard that setting the wood furnace 18" off the ground is what the fire code is maybe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not an expert... There are some other threads on this subject. The one I read had quoted fire code saying it cannot share the same air with the garage and there can be no open flame in the garage.

I would call it my shop but what happens when my vehicles are parked in it all the time doesn't that make it a garage ?

The fire code does not define "garage". My detached shop has three 12x12 overhead doors and a slab with lots of things parked on it that contain fossil fuels but it's a shop. So when I installed my wood burner in there I got a county permit, inspections, etc. and had to have it 18" off the floor. My insurance company, State Farm, said no solid fuel burners in an outbuilding so I switched insurance companies to one that had no problem with it. Farmers.

So now I have a permitted, legal, insured, wood burner in my shop.

I thought the general rule of thumb for a woodstove in a workspace was you're good if not attached to the house, not good if attached.

I thought the general rule of thumb for a woodstove in a workspace was you're good if not attached to the house, not good if attached.

That's an interpretation. Not a bad one but it is not written in national code.

But a vehicle just sitting there isn't letting off fumes right? The gas cans and other flammable things are stored in a different building ... I also heard that setting the wood furnace 18" off the ground is what the fire code is maybe?

You need to ask the local people who matter & have a say in this. Things vary from area to area & insurance company to insurance company.

Yeah most people are fine doing it. But when you put something in your house that you could burn it down with it usually makes sense to plan for the worst. Will your car give off fumes? Probably not, but have you never had an oil or fuel leak? Never worked on your cars in there? Never will have a leak? Ever?
That's why most people say detached is fine, not really to do with code. More to do with if it blows up, will it take you and the kids with it.

Remember, every. Fire code rule made is because someone died from it.

Edit: I would like to add. There was actually someone on this site this winter whose OUTDOOR wood burner blew up.
Most likely from an errant propane torch used to light the fire and left close by. But still that was outside, should have been fine on paper.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Reactions: brenndatomu
The fire code does not define "garage". My detached shop has three 12x12 overhead doors and a slab with lots of things parked on it that contain fossil fuels but it's a shop. So when I installed my wood burner in there I got a county permit, inspections, etc. and had to have it 18" off the floor. My insurance company, State Farm, said no solid fuel burners in an outbuilding so I switched insurance companies to one that had no problem with it. Farmers.

So now I have a permitted, legal, insured, wood burner in my shop.

Good to know they're ok with that too.

When changing my info with them due to moving, I told my agent that I had a woodburner. No other problem other than he added 5k to the rebuild cost. I think the money per policy period was $1.30. My parents have went through significantly more grief every time they switched companies (pictures, inspections, etc...) Seems like my plan to put a wood furnace in the basement and the NC30 in the gar... shop someday may just work.

Reactions: Highbeam
There was actually someone on this site this winter whose OUTDOOR wood burner blew up.

The burner didn't blow up - the building it was in did.

Far as we know, I think?

NO, it was the boiler that blew- there are a couple of control valves that could of siezed up- I have had hot water heat in the past- very low pressure about the same as as your water system or less as it is just circulating hot water under 190degs typically- not designed for steam- steam 212deg+ give or take a bit depending on elevation. Its been so long that I can't remember if my Grandparents place ( build around 1930) was steam or hot water with the old coal fired boiler. I am thinking steam at maybe 5-7 psi- controlling a solid fuel unit for steam production is a bit touchy

The one I am remembering was, as near as the owner could figure out, due to a leaky LP torch, causing the building to go.

Was there another one?

The one I am remembering was, as near as the owner could figure out, due to a leaky LP torch, causing the building to go.

Was there another one?

I remember that one too. Bernzomatic sitting next to it on the ground. THe little propane tank has plenty of energy to blow the building to bits if it leaked out. I keep a bernzomatic torch beside my house stove too so I was particularly interested. They just work so well!