1. Simonkenton

Simonkenton
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 27, 2014
    Loc:
    Marshall NC
    9GGw56am.jpg

My brother's girlfriend had this tree go down in her yard 3 weeks ago. I don't have room for any more wood, but I just couldn't resist.
    I have whacked lots and lots of locust. The biggest I have ever cut was 12 inches at the base.
    This beast is 22 inches diameter at the base.

0sWg54ym.jpg
    My brother splits 'em with the Ochsenkopf aluminum wedge, and the sledge hammer.
    This wood is pristine, no rot.

01tq1zXm.jpg
    This is the finest load of firewood I ever have gotten, and I have gotten many, many loads.
    My brother also got a truck load out of this giant locust.
    Locust is hard to cut, even with a big chain saw. Very hard and dense.
    Takes much longer to cut than oak.
    21 percent moisture content.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ct01r

ct01r
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 10, 2018
    Loc:
    Eastern Pa.
    Nice haul! Anything special about the Ochsenkopf wedge? I tried looking it up but came up blank. I just use steel wedges of various sizes. Curt

3. Simonkenton

Simonkenton
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 27, 2014
    Loc:
    Marshall NC
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/253526189385

That is an interesting question. I bought the Ochsenkopf four years ago from Baileys. They are a top provider of chain saw stuff.
    But, I see that now Baileys has quit selling them.
    It is a twisted wedge and as you drive it into the wood, it twists and is very effective at splitting the worst wood.

However, I must say, I have used mine quite a bit and it has just begun to get a little crack on it. I think it is weird that they make this tool from aluminum and not steel. I suspect that Baileys quit selling them for a good reason.

I got another one named the Wood Grenade, it is made of steel, it works great, works better than just a wedge, and is lots cheaper than the Ochsenkopf.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ct01r

ct01r
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 10, 2018
    Loc:
    Eastern Pa.
    Cool, thanks for the info! I wasn't too crazy about using aluminum, but I'll try looking for the steel version. Thanks again! Curt

5. Simonkenton

Simonkenton
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 27, 2014
    Loc:
    Marshall NC
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-7-Forged-Iron-wood-grenade-splitter-wedge-4-lb/382923499479?hash=item592804e7d7:g:0eAAAOSwl95bvqzt:sc:USPSPriorityMailLegalFlatRateEnvelope!37919!US!-1

Here is a wood grenade for fifteen bucks. Ochsenkopf is German for "Ox Head." This thing was invented by Krauts, I can't for the life of me figure out why they made it of aluminum.

This wood grenade they say is forged iron, looks like steel to me. I have used mine a lot and it is holding up well.
    I think you will like the performance of the wood grenade better than a standard wedge.

6. Simonkenton

Simonkenton
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 27, 2014
    Loc:
    Marshall NC
    tsWWMm4m.jpg
    Here it is, all split and stacked. Stack is 14 feet long, and 3 feet high. It is a lot more wood than what it looked like in the truck.
    Big stack of pristine locust, this is a beautiful thing.

7. heavy hammer

heavy hammer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Kirtland Ohio
    Nice score! I love getting a great solid score of locust.

8. Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2008
    Loc:
    Mid Atlantic
    I have one of those wood grenades, and have always liked mine. It only comes
    out rarely when a round is trying to eat all my wedges. I have four wedges. This
    is my way of saying "OK, wood, now I'm serious!"

Nice Locust score!

9. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 5, 2015
    Loc:
    Southeast CT
    Whoa, a couple of those big splits should make an excellent overnight burn on a cold night.