Summertime Locust Festival

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
9GGw56am.jpg

My brother's girlfriend had this tree go down in her yard 3 weeks ago. I don't have room for any more wood, but I just couldn't resist.
I have whacked lots and lots of locust. The biggest I have ever cut was 12 inches at the base.
This beast is 22 inches diameter at the base.

0sWg54ym.jpg

My brother splits 'em with the Ochsenkopf aluminum wedge, and the sledge hammer.
This wood is pristine, no rot.

01tq1zXm.jpg

This is the finest load of firewood I ever have gotten, and I have gotten many, many loads.
My brother also got a truck load out of this giant locust.
Locust is hard to cut, even with a big chain saw. Very hard and dense.
Takes much longer to cut than oak.
21 percent moisture content.

Last edited:
Nice haul! Anything special about the Ochsenkopf wedge? I tried looking it up but came up blank. I just use steel wedges of various sizes. Curt

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253526189385

That is an interesting question. I bought the Ochsenkopf four years ago from Baileys. They are a top provider of chain saw stuff.
But, I see that now Baileys has quit selling them.
It is a twisted wedge and as you drive it into the wood, it twists and is very effective at splitting the worst wood.

However, I must say, I have used mine quite a bit and it has just begun to get a little crack on it. I think it is weird that they make this tool from aluminum and not steel. I suspect that Baileys quit selling them for a good reason.

I got another one named the Wood Grenade, it is made of steel, it works great, works better than just a wedge, and is lots cheaper than the Ochsenkopf.

Cool, thanks for the info! I wasn't too crazy about using aluminum, but I'll try looking for the steel version. Thanks again! Curt

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-7-...PriorityMailLegalFlatRateEnvelope!37919!US!-1

Here is a wood grenade for fifteen bucks. Ochsenkopf is German for "Ox Head." This thing was invented by Krauts, I can't for the life of me figure out why they made it of aluminum.

This wood grenade they say is forged iron, looks like steel to me. I have used mine a lot and it is holding up well.
I think you will like the performance of the wood grenade better than a standard wedge.

tsWWMm4m.jpg

Here it is, all split and stacked. Stack is 14 feet long, and 3 feet high. It is a lot more wood than what it looked like in the truck.
Big stack of pristine locust, this is a beautiful thing.

Nice score! I love getting a great solid score of locust.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253526189385

That is an interesting question. I bought the Ochsenkopf four years ago from Baileys. They are a top provider of chain saw stuff.
But, I see that now Baileys has quit selling them.
It is a twisted wedge and as you drive it into the wood, it twists and is very effective at splitting the worst wood.

However, I must say, I have used mine quite a bit and it has just begun to get a little crack on it. I think it is weird that they make this tool from aluminum and not steel. I suspect that Baileys quit selling them for a good reason.

I got another one named the Wood Grenade, it is made of steel, it works great, works better than just a wedge, and is lots cheaper than the Ochsenkopf.

I have one of those wood grenades, and have always liked mine. It only comes
out rarely when a round is trying to eat all my wedges. I have four wedges. This
is my way of saying "OK, wood, now I'm serious!"

Nice Locust score!

Last edited:
View attachment 245282
Here it is, all split and stacked. Stack is 14 feet long, and 3 feet high. It is a lot more wood than what it looked like in the truck.
Big stack of pristine locust, this is a beautiful thing.
Whoa, a couple of those big splits should make an excellent overnight burn on a cold night.