Summit door gasket? Updated with pics.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKIN052

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 12, 2008
Appleton, Newfoundland
Just looking for some confirmation, 1/2 inch round gasket material is what is needed? Any idea on the lenght? Just noticed this morning that it is seeping air on the lower left handle side. Any advice is always appreciated.

I am in the same boat and not getting much info. I have the PE Summit Classic and mine appears to be about an inch wide and flat braided. Measurement seems to be around 64 inches on mine. I hate it when companies are so proprietary that finding repair parts becomes very convoluted. Good luck on your fix...

You can buy braided gasket material at most hardware stores, especially TRUE VALUE, in various widths, for pretty cheap. You use stove Gasket cement to put it on. Or you can buy the parts directly from Chimneysweeponline.com.

Thanks, I know the procedure just trying to confirm the size and length, seem to be 7/8th from what bit of research i have done today.

Length can be determined pretty easy by just measuring. When buying, go long rather than short. The manual should tell what the proper size is.

The manual says 1/2" medium density. Page 3 item 4.

My PE Summit Classic manual provides a part number..PERIOD. Nothing about material, measurements, etc.

Oops sorry...you are right there is the info on page 3 para 4...never saw that...thanks for pointing it out. So is my gasket not flat but has just been mashed down from use? You think I need the rope kind as opposed to the flat braided?

To quote the info as mentioned is says:
DOOR GASKETS - The gasket used by Pacific Energy
(1/2" medium density fiberglass rope) requires only light
pressure to seal.

Mine however appears flat and about an inch wide...could be it has been mashed down from use? ??

Rope. It mashes flat when ya close the door.

It scrunches together or pulls thinner depending on how you shove it into the slot. I had to replace it about 4 times in 30 years on my old Riteway 37. Email Tom Oyen at The Chimney Sweep <[email protected]>. He'll be happy to tell you what you need to know.

I saved an article with pictures and everthing and now I cant find it anywhere, any one else have that, might have been a thread here but I cant find it.

Just to confuse things the Summit uses 1/2 and 7/8 gasket it just depend on when your stove was manufactered. If it was in the last 7-10 years not totaly sure off the top of my head it uses the 7/8 earlier than that it's the 1/2

My Summit uses a 7/8" dense gasket. I never was happy with the seal even with the 7/8". I used 1" round soft stuff time before this one and it sealed much better. Def have to adjust the latch catch out though.

Brother Bart, I read the same some where but then checked the PE site and it states 7/8th.

Hogwildz, How do i adjust the latch?

SKIN052 said:
Brother Bart, I read the same some where but then checked the PE site and it states 7/8th.

Hogwildz, How do i adjust the latch?

Not elegant, screw driver, lever the catch out. Block of wood and hammer to adjust it back if you pry it too far.

Hinge side adjustment is different than what is on our T-6 , but I believe, it is also not elegant, bend the pins? T-6 has an bolt adjustable hinge.

Yeah. It looks like the B-Series fireboxes use 7/8".

Yep, bend the catch out with a big flat head screwdriver or anything else that you can pry behind it with. I use the poker.
The hinge side really is not meant to be adjusted.

Very surprised on that. Holding off till the weekend. Can't seem to find any 7/8th rope gasket in small town Newfoundland so I may just "adjust" the latch till I can find some. Thanks all.

SKIN052 said:
Very surprised on that. Holding off till the weekend. Can't seem to find any 7/8th rope gasket in small town Newfoundland so I may just "adjust" the latch till I can find some. Thanks all.
Can be found online. The 7/8" flat, dense stuff is tough to find local. You can adjust the catch in until the point that the roller on the latch rubs against the stove face, then thats all you got.

Note* The door when latching will be noticeably tighter when stove is coo/cold, and will be looser when the stove heats up. At least that is the experience I have had. I adjust mine when cool/cold.

Wait, now I am confused. It's flat not round material?

I don't know if they changes the gasket size recently. But my model year is 2006, and it has the graphite coated flat 7/8" gasket. If you need a pic, I have some posted in older threads. I can dig one I have out and tape a pic also if need be.

CK, actually I have a full beard going on this year. It is getting on my nerves though. We'll see how long it lasts.

A pic would be great, my search skills turned up nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.