Sunday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
We are getting some good winds today so tomorrow the plan is to take a trip back in the woods looking for some downed trees and to clear the trails. Attached are some pictures of three different areas that get the wind pretty good, usually have some luck getting some Sugar Maple,Beech and Cherry in these areas.

Maybe next week up top will be open.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0295.jpg
    100_0295.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 547
  • 100_0577.jpg
    100_0577.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 538
  • 100_0578.jpg
    100_0578.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 556
Hope Mother Nature gives you some easy trees Zap - we had some real high winds here last week, but alas, no wood! Cheers!

I'm betting zap got some pretty strong winds too. But his woods is quite thick so the wind may not bother him as much.

flyingcow said:
thanks zapny, I did not note the time stamp in the corner.

Hard to see,blends right in. The last two pictures were a hot day for April, if my memory is correct it was in the high 70's.

zap

loon said:
Looking good man! have fun eh!

loon

Will do, I'm just wondering how far I'll get before the first one is across the trail.

zap

Doubt it will be long before you find the first Zap. My daughter and I were in one of the local state parks late this afternoon and there were fresh downs all over. We stuck to the section of the forest that is small diameter as it was crankin.

Spent some time this morning pulling the splitters and the trailer out of the woods just in case. The big ole White Pines were rocking, what were your wind gust in the Cuse?

zap

SolarAndWood said:
Doubt it will be long before you find the first Zap. My daughter and I were in one of the local state parks late this afternoon and there were fresh downs all over. We stuck to the section of the forest that is small diameter as it was crankin.

All the trails I could get to except for the swamp road were wide open, had the top of a small Cherry come down which I took care of. I did see some downed Beech but the trail to it still has to much snow in it, looks like next week that trail will be open.

We still have chit load of shoulder season wood down, hemlock & pine which I plan on starting next week depending on the weather. I did cut the rest of a downed bigtooth aspen today for this years shoulder season wood.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4733.jpg
    100_4733.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 338
  • 100_4734.jpg
    100_4734.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 334
  • 100_4735.jpg
    100_4735.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 336
  • 100_4737.jpg
    100_4737.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 349
  • 100_4739.jpg
    100_4739.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 348
Awesome. That side by side looks like its loaded for Bear!

smokinjay said:
Awesome. That side by side looks like its loaded for Bear!

Last time we saw the bear he was eating out of the bird feeder, I showed the picture to the guy that I fished with and he said he was about 300-350 pounds.

zap

That just looks like fun! Side by side rolling through the woods with chainsaws at the ready for whatever comes available. Can ya beat it?

BobUrban said:
That just looks like fun! Side by side rolling through the woods with chainsaws at the ready for whatever comes available. Can ya beat it?

I guess the best way I can describe it is peaceful, looks like this weekend will be spent cutting more shoulder season wood that Mother Nature put down. The area I'm working will give us a new trail plus make it look better.

Looks like I'll sharpen a few chains Wednesday night then clean the saws so we will be ready to go.

I'll be working near this area, on 7-26-2010 this little guy came by when I was getting ready to leave, mom was with her other fawn about 40 yards away.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1080.jpg
    100_1080.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 100_1081.jpg
    100_1081.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 100_1082.jpg
    100_1082.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 100_1083.jpg
    100_1083.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 198
That is neat when it happens zap. The deer are our friends here.

The herd is looking great Sav, this weekend I'm cutting some small maple that are just to thin so the deer can go at the tops, same on some small pines.

zap

Looks good Zap. Has your snow cleared off any ? We had about 4 inches here on Sunday and now it is all gone. 60s tomorrow and Thursday and then back to 30s and teens at night for the weekend. Time to turn the clocks ahead this weekend and I cannot wait. I will be able to get some splitting done after work through the week. Just got enough moved to the house that should finish me off for the year and the rest of the piles all straightened up and ready to tear in to the new stuff I have cut all winter. Should come in at about 4 cords burnt this year.

Locust Post said:
Looks good Zap. Has your snow cleared off any ? We had about 4 inches here on Sunday and now it is all gone. 60s tomorrow and Thursday and then back to 30s and teens at night for the weekend. Time to turn the clocks ahead this weekend and I cannot wait. I will be able to get some splitting done after work through the week. Just got enough moved to the house that should finish me off for the year and the rest of the piles all straightened up and ready to tear in to the new stuff I have cut all winter. Should come in at about 4 cords burnt this year.

We still have a some snow, we only have two areas that are off limits for the rhino until the deep snow melts which should be by Monday. The weather for the next two days will be just over 50.

This weekend will be spent cutting downed white pine for the shoulder season, I'm hoping by the middle of April we will be two to three years ahead on the softwood with our hardwood supply already at 4-5 years stacked.

I was thinking the same on the time change, splitting or stacking. When I first started on the site I thought Sav was nuts (sorry Sav) for being so far ahead but it's a great feeling, nice work LP.

zap

Pallet Pete said:
Very nice woods zap it looks very peaceful !

Pete

Thanks Pete, it's a wreck but I'm getting it cleaned up a little bit each year. How are you feeling today?

zap

Not bad at all zap I got the plumbing fixed and then spent a couple of hours in the outdoors splitting . How bout you my friend ? The fresh air always clears my head of all the fuzz.

Pete

Feeling good, the strong sun is just a reminder spring is just around the corner but we usually get hit with another bad storm before Mother Nature decides winter is over.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.